Please HELP!

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have 3 Panda Corries in my Q tank because the tank I'm going to put them in isnt cycled yet.

I noticed today when I was feeding them after school that one of them has some coton wool kind of thing on his tail, and it looks nipped or he has finrot or something.

I have Melafix should I treat him with that?
Also what about the other 2? What should I do, I don't want them to get it too?
Should I leave them in there as they might have it too, but I just can't see it yet? ???

Please help, I don't want to loose him. :'(

Gwenz :-\

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well I treated him (Curly) with Melafix yesterday and the cotton wool type thing on his tail was gone when I went back to look later on, (although maybe it wasn't stuck to him it might just have been something in the tank that had gone on him.). His tail has deffinately been nipped or he has finrot. Since I put the Melafix in he is swimming more, and it doesn't seem to be affecting the other 2 corries.I also did a water change.

Is there anything else I could be doing?
Should the other 2 be OK?
Am I doing the right thing, treating with Melafix?

???

I know that Corries sometimes go to the surface to get air, and I have seen mine to this many times. I have just noticed that Curly is finding it hard to swim to the surface. Do they need to do this often? He can't swim properly to the surface but is fine swiming around the bottom. I did see him resting on a plant near the surface. Do you think he could be doing this so he doesn't have to swim so far?

I hope he is OK and doesn't have to swim to the surface often. He finds it hard to do. :-\

Thanks

Gwenz :-\

mistycheri

Valued Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your panda worrys. I've noticed that my panda's and other corys don't really go to the surface that often. I have seen mine swim at all levels of the tank. The one with the nipped fin will probably have a little trouble swimming until it heals. I would continue treating with Melafix. I have a Black male Molly that my female betta took a chunk out of his tail fin, I mean he looked like he'd been attacked by a shark! I treated the water with Melafix for the recommended time and the fin grew back in no time. Sometimes if you have any objects in the tank with sharp edges or even rough gravel the cory's can damage their fins.
Good luck with the treatment and let us know how he does.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I went away last night and came back this morning. I thought he'd be fine as he wouldn't be missing any days of treatment or anything, he and the others would just miss one meal.

I got home and went straight to see how he was. He died. :'( He was lying in the corner of the tank under a plant. This was his favorite spot. I will miss Curly.

I don't think I'll get another one. Just stick with the two I have left. They seem OK. I hope that Curly didn't have some kind of disease that the others could catch. :-\

Should I do a water change and keep treating with Melafix for a while just to make sure?

Thanks

Gwenz

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear about Curly. I'm new so I don't have any answers, but I'm sure someone will...let us know how the others fair. Denise

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am so sorry about Curly!! :'( :'( I have not been spending as much time here lately and missed this post but I am not sure that there is anything that I could have done better than you. Melafix and clean water are the best treatments for Fin Rot ( if the water temperature is 82 F or 28 C it helps the Melafix as that is the temperature that medication works best at)

Just keep an eye on the other two little ones. If they start to show problems, just put them in Melafix right away and follow the instructions until the fins start to grow back.

Rose
:'( :'( :'( Again I am sorry!

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. The other two seem fine at the moment, and are swimming normaly and eating. I just hope nothing will develope later on. I'm checking on them whenever I can (which is all the time, now that school has finished ) to make sure they are OK.

I will do a water change today. The tank is at 28 'C all the time. Is that OK?

Like I said before, I don't think I'll be getting another one, just keeping the two I have left.

Am I right that Melafix works best when you use Primafix as well? Should I buy some Primafix just in case?

Thanks

Gwenz

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom