PLEASE HELP!!!!

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My Q tank finished cycling 4 weeks ago. And since then I have had 2 bettas in there, but unfortunately they both died. At the moment I have three panda corries in there I've had them a week and 2 days. They were doing fine and all water levels were normal. I even took some water to my lfs to be tested just in case.

I use the Aquarium Pharmacuticals inc. bottles to test my water. On Saturday I tested the water and everything was fine, but the ammonia was wierd. NitrAte = 5.0, NitrIte = 0, PH = 7.0 and Ammonia = 0.25. ???

Yesterday I tested again and everything was wrong - NitrAte = 0, NitrIte = 0.25, PH = 7.0 and Ammonia = 0.5.

What's happening? Why is everything changing so quickly? What can I do?

Also my Corries are eating less. Please help. I don't want to loose them. :'(

Thanks

Gwenz

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is that there's something rotting in there. Could you have missed a dead fish (or part of one), or some food or something?

I'd recommend a large water change.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
For some reason, your tank is in a mini cycle. Panda corys are very sensitive to water conditions. I would recommend daily water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrites at zero. For whatever reason, your tank did not stay cycled, so you need to keep ideal conditions for your new babies.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'll try doing water changes everyday until the levels are normal again. I saw 2 of them eating today when I got home from school. This is a good thing I think. ???

Gwenz

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yup, eating is always good.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If they are eating it is always a good thing.  It means they are not feeling sick.  Just make sure they are eating all they are fed for a while so the food is not fouling the water and compounding the problem if that is what the problem is.  Usually this does not cause a problem but if it gets ahead of you in a newly cycled tank then it can cause a problem.  

Rose

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Gwenz, even though a tank is cycled, adding new fish to it can quickly raise ammonia and/or nitrite. This is because an empty (without fish) cycled tank has enough bacteria to keep itself cycled, but not enough to deal with the wastes of newly added fish. What happens then is when you suddenly add a few small fish, or just one or two larger fish, your ammonia and/or nitrite suddenly goes up. This is why it is always so important to stock any newly-cycled tank VERY slowly, adding 1-2 small fish at a time, for a few weeks, until the tank is stocked to a desired level.

I've had that happen too Gwenz. When I was redecorating my 30 gallon tank, I had to transfer all of my fish to my 10 gallon tank for one day. I cycled that 10 gallon tank and when it was ready, I transferred ALL (12 neons, 2 angelfish, and 1 algae eater) of my fish there for one night. I thought ammonia and nitrite wouldn't rise because that would be just for one night. Imagine that just one day was enough for the nitrite to rise to some 0.25 ppm! I got so scared but thanks God nothing happened to my fish - I must have been very lucky.

Once again, stocking a tank slowly is the way to go. And adding just small fish at first and very few at a time. This way, the beneficial bacteria have the time to develop. With time, the tank should be able to hold larger amounts of fish.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
OK thanks. Thats very helpful. I'll try and get out some of the food that they don't eat and do water changes daily to try and help.

How long after I've put the food in should I try to get what's left out? Sometimes they don't eat it strait away when I put it in, and it can take them a while to find it as well. They will eat the whole flake in time - they are quite small. What do you think?

Thanks

Gwenz

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well, allow some time for your fish to eat the food. But if that time exceeds an hour or two, I'd personally take the food out at that point. Normally, I'd leave it for longer, but considering that your tank is having a mini-cycle, you want to keep it as clean as possible now, with large and frequent water changes ... until ammonia and nitrite are at 0.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
OK thanks.

Gwenz

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Try feeding them less than that as well. You might at some point want to get a snail which will then eat up any rubbish left over, but for now feed them just what you feel sure they'll eat.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
They are in the Q tank at the moment and I have put 2 snails from my 15gal into the Q tank. I sometimes see them eating the food that hasn't been eaten.

Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
After doing a few water changes I have tested the tank again. Here are the results.

NitrAte = 5.0
NitrIte = 0
PH = 7.0
Ammonia = 0.25 ???

Should I keep doing water changes to lower the Ammonia?

Gwenz

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes.

friend_o_fish

Reaction score
besides water changes you can some times find ammonia remover or ammonia remover and carbon mix to put in your filter. The ammonia remover straight up really works we have two medium sized goldfish in a 10gal tank and the ammonia remover keeps our ammonia level at a constant 0.00.
Friend _o_fish

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ammonia remover is not a good idea, most especially not IN the filter. A 10 gallon tank is too small for a single goldfish, much less two, and if the tank is properly cycled, no ammonia removing products should be necessary at all. Putting anything like that into the filter itself can kill the good bacteria that's necessary for the cycle. The fewer chemicals put into the tank, the better, and the more stable the tank will be.

ecnaj143

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Goldfish can survive anything. You can throw them into a gallon of gasoline and they would adapt. Their strong like that. I used them to help cycle my 10gal. Goldfishes don't care where they live.

friend_o_fish

Reaction score
I was using my goldfish as prufe that it works because they make so much ammonia not that they are fine. I have a Pleco with them and he does just as good in there as my friends which is in a tropical comunity tank. And I don't think a Pleco can live in a gallon of gas.

david

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi gwenz i had the same problem with my tank,the guy at my lfs recomended bactozym..i thought my tank had cycled and i put all my fish in there at the same time as i didnt want to separate them or make them feel left out..lol i luv my fishies to death.. anyway the bactozym done the trick..24 hours after adding it my ammonia and nitrites droped dramaticly..i dont know how to put links on here so if you type Bactozym into your google search bar you can get some more info on it..but i highly recomend it its made by tetra aqua..i didnt lose a single fish ;D ..thank god..good luck

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks David. Everything is back to normal now. 1 of the corries died but I still have the other two and they are doing great. ;D

If it happens again I'll try and find bactozym.

P.S. - If you want to add a link, go to the site you want to link to, highlight the address from the bar at the top, and copy and paste it into your post here, then highlight it again (in the post) and click on the button (above the smilies) which has a world and a piece of paper on it. Then this - will come up around the address you have pasted and you have your link.

hope this helps

Gwenz

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom