Please Help..

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by GlamCrab, Apr 23, 2017.

1. GlamCrabWell Known MemberMember

Im trying to save my sister's betta, poor thing had clamped fins and dint act like itself anymore (sister thought he was dieing so was letting him go).. when my parents started talking about flushing him i took him and put him in my brand new 5 gallon. The difference in his attidute was almost instant.. he started acting like himself again. But his fins dint unclamp.
    I noticed a week ago some fungus in his tail and treated it. Its now gone!

But.. this morning he looked like this
    IMG_0005.JPG
    I feel awfull for the little guy.. is this fungus again? Or body rot? His tail is really shredded... i have poly guard on hand.. do i keep treating him with that?

2. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Brand new 5gal could be the problem. Did you cycle the tank first (nitrogen cycle)? If not then I would bet the ammonia and nitrite levels are at harmful amounts in the tank. Do a big water change, at least 50% and see if he starts acting better.

Also, if you can test your water before doing the water change, that would be super useful. Post any results you can get for nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, and temp please.

I can see some off coloration on his tail, which is very bad. The filmy look on his tail end is probably a bacteria issue. Also it looks like his scales are sticking up a bit, like a pine cone (dropsy, also bacterial). Take a picture from above if you can.
    If he does have dropsy then his outlook is grim, dropsy is very hard to treat. I've lost many a fish once they came down with dropsy.

I would definitely try dosing the poly guard, but it looks like there's a live plant in there? If so then you can just put him in a bucket or empty tank with just a heater and air stone, then dose him to avoid harming the plants and possibly the cycling process.

3. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

Try looking from the top to see about the dropsy, if he does have it then you'll need to use Epsom salt in the tank he's in and daily Epsom salt baths(2-3). Daily waterchanges will be needed as well(even if he doesn't have dropsy) unless the medications says not to. Can you post your parameters? Also what's the temperature at?

4. GlamCrabWell Known MemberMember

I put a sponge in the 5 gallon's filter that was in my 23 gallon's Filter.. unfortunately my parents dont want to but a test kit.. they prefer going to the petstore.. anyways. He is acting BETTER in the 5 gallon then he was in his previous aquarium.
    The temperarure is at around 78.

Looked at it from the top and .. he is indeed pineconing.. hadnt noticed before now.. atleast he seems to be a fighter.

Im feeling horrible because i dint notice sooner something was up with him..

5. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

Try not to feel to bad, your helping him so much already. Praying he pulls through!

6. GlamCrabWell Known MemberMember

I know... i just want him to pull through and he seems really far worst then it looked..

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  7. McasellaFishlore VIPMember

That looks like bacterial fin rot, I dealt with this in one of my angels after he became a bullying target (now i can't tell him from his siblings) I used artemiss and clean water to help him. You can see how it has started to eat into his body at his back end, this can be reversed if you get on top of it right away.
    Kanaplex and epsom salt baths are what I have heard for dropsy treatments/soothing, they may not cure him though if it is in fact dropsy.

8. GlamCrabWell Known MemberMember

His scales do seem to pinecone but he isnt bloated. So thats throwing me off..

but for now i'll focus on his real bad fin rot.. he dint have that line on his body yesterday.. (atleast im pretty sure) or it wasnt that obvious.

9. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

My betta Jet wasn't bloated either, but he had dropsy. Dropsy really needs to be the priority in my mind, if you don't treat that then there isn't to much of a reason to treat the fin rot honestly. Could you post an above photo for us so we can help determine whether it is or not?

10. GlamCrabWell Known MemberMember

11. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

It kind of looks like it to me, but it's difficult for me to tell with the photo. Does it look somewhat like this, even if it's not as extreme? 81672af38a22e62bfb3cad04e0848253.jpg

12. GlamCrabWell Known MemberMember

Yeah..

13. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

Unfortunately he has dropsy then.:(
    I'd start treating it now, even if you have to hold off on treating the rot(you should be able to treat both though, you can use an antibacterial). Sorry about this, hope he pulls through. Thank you for caring for him as much as you do.

14. GlamCrabWell Known MemberMember

Thats what i feared..

Thank you for the help

15. GlamCrabWell Known MemberMember

Unfortunately he passed away today.

His health took a sudden nose-dive

16. James17Well Known MemberMember

:( Sorry to hear that.

17. GlamCrabWell Known MemberMember

Atleast i tried.. but i guess it was too late..

18. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

Awe, I'm really sorry. May he swim in peace. You did your best, I know you might be kicking yourself for not getting him out sooner, but he wasn't your fish so that would probably make it a little more difficult to get him. Just be proud you did get him and were able to provide him with tons of care and warmth before he had to pass.

19. GlamCrabWell Known MemberMember

The worst part is.. he was in the room next door. I dont want to invade my sister's privacy so i dint check up on her fish too often.. but i guess i should seeing she noticed something wasnt right with her betta and dint bother doing anything or telling me.

Despite that i tried to save him... im glad i did.. atleast he died under the watch of someone who cared and tried to save him.

To get him i had to 'fight' my sister AND my parents.

20. GlamCrabWell Known MemberMember

On the bright side.. the wild betta i saved from a tiny bowl is Thriving
    (Petshop was selling it basically in a cup. I felt bad for it.. it was tiny and brown family thought it was ugly/overlooked it)

It was so stressed in said bowl it dint even swim and lay at the bottom..

Now its showing alot more color- and just.. im happy i atleast got this one happy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice