Please help with some opinions on my PH issues

PufferFan

Reaction score
I am going for my first planted tank. Been cycling 2 weeks, and it seems almost done...then I added Co2 today and like an idiot didn't think of how it could kill the cycle. Sure enough PH is at 6 or below from 6.5 in 8 hours. I feel like my plants really need the Co2 boost to help them root (the asian ambulia won't root for me or the fish store I bought it)

Malawi/Victoria buffer purchased and arriving tomorrow!
But in the meantime do I add baking soda??
Don’t want to destroy all cycle progress, was really hoping to buy a pea puffer before they sell out Sunday, Pls help!
Thank you

Attachments

lilirose

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Two weeks is nowhere near long enough to complete a fishless cycle- especially not for a pea puffer, as pea puffers are very sensitive and need a mature tank. I fishless cycled four tanks earlier this year and the fastest one took a month- and that tank was started with a partially seeded filter. The others took 6-8 weeks.

Altering pH by adding chemicals (like baking soda or other buffers) will cause more problems than it solves. Low pH might stall a cycle briefly but won't "kill" anything. Two of the tanks I cycled this year have buffering substrate and had a constant pH of 6.5 or below when cycling, they still cycled just fine. I have never used CO2 despite having heavily planted tanks but my understanding is that the pH drop caused by CO2 use should not affect your cycle at all.

KinderScout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What's your KH? There is a direct relationship between C02, KH and PH. I'd work out the level of CO2 in your tank using this table and aI'm for 30ppm and then re-assess
CO2-Chart-1-1.jpg

Be careful if your PH drps below 6 - you might not be getting enough ammonia for your cycle.

Derek2408

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would test your tap water ph , compare to the tank water. You could have low alkalinity ,
Not enough buffer in the water to maintain the ph. In your case without having fish in yet at least you only have to worry about the bacteria if you were to add something to raise it

New Threads