Please Help With Nitrogen Cycle Help | Page 17

1. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

2. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

@AllieSten @AngelTheGypsy @bopsalot
    I just rechecked nitrite and got about .25
    Here is the picture:

So how long would it take until I am completely cycled?
    And should I go to that store and get some cycled media from them or should I just let the aquarium cycle by itself?

3. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Much better. Your fishies appreciate it! Just keep monitoring all three nitrogen tests and change the water if things get toxic. Soon your ammonia and nitrites will stay at zero always and you'll be cycled.

4. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

Thanks a lot, I didn't think that the nitrite was going to spike and without your reminder, the fish might have been dead now...

5. AllieSten Well Known Member Member

I would just keep testing your Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates daily for now.

I cannot give you a timeline. It took forever for you to see nitrites, who knows how long it will take to progress from here. Your case is unusual. Hopefully it won't be longer than a few days, but we have said that before lol

6. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

Hopefully lol.

Should I start the quarantine tank for now and get the neons, because the longer they are in quarantine the better right?

7. AngelTheGypsy Well Known Member Member

Neons don't do very well during a cycle, so it could go either way.

8. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

I wasn't going to put them in the main tank, I was going to start a quarantine and do daily water changes.

9. AngelTheGypsy Well Known Member Member

But the quarantine won't be cycled, so ammonia will rise. It may work, but I was just saying neons can be sensitive and not fare well.

10. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

Oh ok, what about 1 dwarf gourami, are they sensitive as well? And will the ammonia rise a high amount if there is only one, in about 15 gallons of water?

11. AngelTheGypsy Well Known Member Member

No, a dwarf gourami should be ok, and the neons may as well, they're just known for not being able to handle it. But honestly there's no guarantee that anything can last through a cycle.
    You could use the media from the LFS you were talking about?

12. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

@AllieSten @AngelTheGypsy
    I tested ammonia and nitrite today. Here are the results

Ammonia is not completely yellow like I said yesterday, so I don't know if it is really 0
    And Nitrite looks .25

Should I still be dosing Prime?

13. AngelTheGypsy Well Known Member Member

Yes.

14. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

Good idea but I have to confirm that they actually sell live media. I called a couple of days ago and they said they do, I called today just to make sure and they said that they don't o_O

15. AngelTheGypsy Well Known Member Member

Probably depends on who you talk to.

16. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

@AllieSten @AngelTheGypsy
    I tested today and the Nitrite dropped to 0
    The ammonia is still not quite the yellow of the card and has a hint of green but it is not .25
    Here is a picture:

What do you think, did I finish cycling?

17. AllieSten Well Known Member Member

I don't see any green at all. I mean it looks straight up yellow to me. But if you are seeing a tinge of green, I am going to say retest tomorrow. But you certainly seem cycled to me. Could you do a full set of parameters your next set? Just to be sure your pH and nitrates are ok too.

I am cautiously optimistic that you are cycled :) if not today, within a day or two. I can't even believe it. That was sooooo long!

18. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

There is not really any green, it's just more like a faded yellow. And I stopped doing full set tests because I broke 2 of the test vials lol, but I'll do one tomorrow.

19. AllieSten Well Known Member Member

You can order more vials. They have them on eBay in sets of 3, 6, 9 & 24. So you have a choice lol (I obviously had to buy more too)

20. Jocelyn Adelman Well Known Member Member

Amazon sells the test tubes as well