Please Help With Java Fern

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hey all, I need some advice on some Java fern. Right now I have two bushels growing in a 20 gal long with two snails and a betta. They are tied down to some arches I made so they wouldn't be close to the gravel. Well over the past two months they have like...doubled in size almost. But I have about two rhizomes per arch, will they eventually start competing for space? I plan on getting some more by Friday, hopefully some bigger ones. Will I eventually be throwing out the smaller plants or should I keep the two plants on one arch? Should I add more on an arch?
I can get a pic of my tank when I get home, around 4:00 or so.

Alex Pasquale

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They shouldn't start exactly "competing" for space, however they may look for other directions to grow. I would have to see a picture to give you more advice.

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Okay, cause I have a few that the roots are already digging into the gravel because of how long they are lol. Will definitely get that picture when I get home!

Alex Pasquale

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well just leave them go then, let them grow as much as possible. Sometimes the best look is when you let nature take it's course.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What did you tie the java fern with if I can ask? I was planning to tie mine with clear neon string as I read they are water safe. I would just like to know if you might have better idea?

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I just used fishing line and hot glued the knot so it wouldn't tear the betta's fins. At first I did use just sewing line but I didn't like the look of it and the ferns weren't growing around and stabilizing around the arches like I thought they would.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gala said:
I just used fishing line and hot glued the knot so it wouldn't tear the betta's fins. At first I did use just sewing line but I didn't like the look of it and the ferns weren't growing around and stabilizing around the arches like I thought they would.
Thank you!

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Okay math exam took longer than I thought lol. Here is a before and after picture when I first got them versus today (added two more bushels that I floated). Then there is a picture of the one with the biggest roots.
I changed a few things between this time. Just installed an adjustable heater and finnex light on Sunday, I'm adding CO2 Booster everyday and Leafzone once a week. I also just put in an almond leaf yesterday so it's a little tinted.

Should I make bigger arches for these guys? Maybe a tripod thing? Not too sure what would be best.
START~01.jpg
1525295822531.jpg
1525295858473.jpg

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Also, one more question: am I restricting their growth with such small arches? I feel like maybe I should make big slabs of clay and tie them to that, then the could spread out more without being crowded. Thoughts?

Brannor

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I love the clay design. Especially the hanging bits. Brilliant idea. May I ask what clay you used and how you treated it before putting it in the tank? (kilned?) Asking because it'd be really cool for my young daughters to make some stuff with aquarium-safe (dark coloured) clay.

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So, because I suddenly became worried that the arches aren't providing enough space, I made these. And also, because I am now petrified of hot glue in my tank, I will be buying Flourish Glue by Seachem so I can have something that I KNOW is safe. Then the only thing that would be debatable is the polymer clay decor lol. Hopefully the Java Ferns will like these better.
1525365166870.jpg

I also brought some more ferns lol
IMAG5181.jpg

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well the super glue didn't hold the plants....one just fell off while I was moving the clay it was on. So I'm going to try different plants.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom