Please help with fish compatibility, and tank size. ?'s

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by sls, Jul 6, 2015.

1. slsNew MemberMember

Hello. I'm new to the forum, but I've been reading on here for quite a while now. I love reading on here, and decided it is time for me to join. I have some questions, I hope I have this in the right section.

I purchased a 55 gallon aquarium off Craigslist, and these are the fish it came with:

adult rainbow shark.. around 5" (not sure of age)
    adult clown loach.. around 7" (8 years old)
    adult Chinese algae eater.. around 7" (9 years old)
    2 black neon tetras
    1 neon tetra
    2 red eyed tetras

They all appear to be very healthy. They had the 3 larger fish since they were babies. I was told all the fish get along, and so far I haven't seen any problems. The 3 larger fish like to be by eachother, and even cuddle up together in a big log. I haven't see them going after the smaller fish so far.

My plan was to move my 6 tetra glofish, and albino bristlenose pleco from their 29 gallon tank to the 55 gallon tank with them. I am wondering if this will be okay? Is it okay to have the tetras, and bristlenose pleco in with those larger fish? Is the tank big enough? When I was getting the tank they said I would have no problems adding my fish, but after doing some reading and thinking, I am wondering if it's really true or not.

I really need some advice on this. I haven't added my fish yet. I have no idea if these fish are all compatible, and if the tank is big enough. I don't want to lose any of my fish.

I was able to get more accurate measurements on them today, so I just added their correct size.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  2. Vulpes

VulpesValued MemberMember

WELCOME TO FISHLORE !!

I suggest you rehome the clown loach,Chinese algae eater and I'm not so sure about the shark.The clown loach do best in a school and for that you need at least a 100 gallon,as for the Chinese algae eater they are quite aggressive as an adult and may start sucking the slime coat off other fish leaving them more vulnerable to diseases.

After rehoming said fish you should increase the number of each species of Tetras in there to at least 6 as they are schooling fish.

The fish you stated can be moved to the 55 without any problems.

3. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

The shark is fine in a 55 gallon, but not with tetras, which it may see as prey. I would rehome that one also.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. MtnTigerWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore! Glad you joined. I would suggest you monitor the fish for a week or so to determine their attitudes, read the above excellent suggestions (with I'm sure many more good ones to come), and then make your decisions as to what course of action to take.

Good luck!

5. OP
    OP
    s

slsNew MemberMember

I'm not sure if I'm going to add my fish to the 55 gallon yet, and because they came with the tank I'm kind of stuck with them right now. The 3 larger fish have been together for years along with small fish.

Will the Chinese algae eater, rainbow shark, and clown loach attack my albino bristlenose pleco if I put her in the 55 gallon tank with them? She is almost a year old, and around 3 1/2".

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  6. MtnTigerWell Known MemberMember

Not sure but I wouldn't chance it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice