Please help with Columnaris?!?

Krest

A few days ago my planted 10gal guppy tank broke out with Columnaris. I was using a 5gal to transfer the infected fish to, however each day a new guppy in the 10gal starts showing symptoms. Furan-2 finally arrived today I am thinking of putting all fish back into the main 10gal tank and just dosing my entire 10gal because it seems every fish is bound to become infected. However, I was wondering...
a) Is Furan-2 safe for plants? (Hornwort, Wisteria, Javafern)
b) Will my beneficial bacteria be killed?

Should I remove the plants from 10gal and place them in 5gal while the fish are being treated in the 10gal?
Then that makes me wonder...
Will the Columnaris remain alive in the 5gal even if it has no fish? (Empty tank with just plants and snails).

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with understanding all this. Thanks.

A201

If you treat the main tank with Furan 2, the benificial bacteria will likely die, causing an ammonia spike.
Best to treat all infected fish in the hospital tank.

Krest

If you treat the main tank with Furan 2, the benificial bacteria will likely die, causing an ammonia spike.
Best to treat all infected fish in the hospital tank.

If I move all fish to the hospital 5gal and treat them with Furan-2 won't the disease just be waiting to strike back in the 10gal? and in the 10gal sponge filter?

I'm worried once I get them all healthy again that the Columnaris will just be waiting for me to add the fish back to the main tank... or would it die off with no fish hosts to infect?

Krest

Letsfish

I went through an outbreak a couple of years ago but on a large scale. I have a 55-gallon tank that is heavily planted and lost 2 schools of tetra`s, Cardinals and Rummy nose. I treated the tank with Kanaplex /Furan-2 and gram + food I got online. I also installed a UV sterilizer. It was a six-month battle to finally get to a stabilized condition.
After you are done with med treatments put some charcoal in you filter to remove any traces of meds.

Krest

I went through an outbreak a couple of years ago but on a large scale. I have a 55-gallon tank that is heavily planted and lost 2 schools of tetra`s, Cardinals and Rummy nose. I treated the tank with Kanaplex /Furan-2 and gram + food I got online. I also installed a UV sterilizer. It was a six-month battle to finally get to a stabilized condition.
After you are done with med treatments put some charcoal in you filter to remove any traces of meds.

WOW!! Thank you for that, I sure hope mine will not take that long, However anything is possible I suppose.

Redshark1

Columnaris is a naturally occurring bacterium that is present in all freshwater environments and I don't think it is possible to exclude it from our aquaria.

It also has a resistant resting stage which allows it to survive adverse periods (such as periods when medications are added to the aquarium).

There are now medication resistant strains of Columnaris living on fish that are specific to certain fish species. These have originated in the fish farms which provide ideal conditions for the development of these strains.

I am firmly of the belief that supporting the immune system of the fish enables it to fight off opportunistic microbes such as Columnaris.

Avoiding stress means making the fish comfortable in their aquarium environment including by paying attention to their water conditions.

When fish are newly purchased we often put them into very different water to that where they came from.

This can make the fish very uncomfortable, stressed and much more susceptible to attack by the microorganisms they are carrying even when we have provided a well-cycled aquarium.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
EmbersToAshes
  • Question
Replies
Views
Willow1
Replies
Views
LowConductivity
Replies