Please Help With Columnaris Treatment

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In my experience, Any thing from API doesnt' work the best. Use the kanaplex. You will also want to lower aquarium temperature to 75 degress to slow the spread. Add garlic to the fish's food which will boost their immune system. Lastly, i would isolate this fish since this is very contaigouse. the only thing i don't like about kanaplex is that it is very hard on the fish. Marcyrn is another brand i would look at. While marcyrn oxy doesnt' say it treats columnaris, it does treat gram negative diseases which is what columnaris is.

DanniD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Best of luck with this. I had a fish with Columnaris that looked exactly like this. I treated with Furan-2 AND Kanaplex but my attempts to save him were in vein

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kanaplex is great, but I'd advise NOT to O.D. on it. Maybe try some salt as well, since it looks a bit advanced now...

Anna94

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I keep getting conflicting answers. For columnaris and/or fin rot do I use both furan-2 and kanaplex or one or the other?

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You can use both for columnaris, not sure about fin rot. I think it would depend on what's causing the fin rot. Furan 2 is gram negative treatment, I think kanaplex is more broad treatment. I would start with just kanaplex for fin rot if you aren't sure. Also, the combo treatment sent me into a mini cycle.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Usually you don't need to treat meds for fin rot at all. Just great water.
Columnaris - Levamisole, Furan 2 are both recommended. Kanaplex is a less aggressive broad spectrum parasite treatment. Be sure to do very thorough gravel vacs during and after treatment and precisely follow directions if you are treating for columnaris.

Whitewolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Furan has lots of nasty chemicals, id just use the kanamycin in a bath
IDK why they are reccomending levimasole, thats a de-wormer
Columnaris = bacteria
Callamunas = worms

Anna94

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
With medicating with furan-2 and kanaplex I think I’m doing it wrong:

Day 1 - dose Furan (3packets), dose kanaplex (6scoop)
Day 2 - dose Furan (3packets)
Day 3 - water change (25%) and then dose Furan (3packets), dose kanaplex (6scoop)
Day 4 - dose Furan (3packets)
Day 5 - water change (25%) and add back carbon/resin filtration media to help with removing discoloration (!) Unless you want to do a third optional dose of kanaplex on this day, in which case youd delay the media til the next day.

Is this right? Do I need to buy another 10-pack of furan as I used up the 10-pack I had or are those 10 packets enough along with 2 more days of kanaplex?

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You have 1 pack left? I'd put it in.. Isn't that second round optional anyway? I'd need to reread the instructions. Plus, you still have most of the initial medicine since the 25% WC didn't remove much.

Just reread: 4 doses is the first round of treatment. Again, most of the meds are already in the tank, and the kaneplex is an extra add-on. I'd just add the 1 packet you still have from the 10 pack.

Anna94

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
TexasGuppy said:
You have 1 pack left? I'd put it in.. Isn't that second round optional anyway? I'd need to reread the instructions. Plus, you still have most of the initial medicine since the 25% WC didn't remove much.

Just reread: 4 doses is the first round of treatment. Again, most of the meds are already in the tank, and the kaneplex is an extra add-on. I'd just add the 1 packet you still have from the 10 pack.
I added it today along with the 3 I had left and the kanaplex.

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Also, their website says Furan won't harm your bacteria, but it's a gram-negative treatment, just like the bacteria in your filter, and the back of the package says 'May inhibit the biological filter'..
This combination of treatment sent my tank into a mini-cycle. Didn't see ammonia start climbing until a couple days after final water change. I also had a small bio load in a 54g tank. Keep an eye on parameters for several days after complete.

Anna94

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I’m treating for columnaris with furan and kanaplex. On the furan box it says to do a 25% water change after dosing the last dose of furan. Well, I did the first water change yesterday and dosed my last 3 packets of furan and kanaplex. As per the furan directions I’m supposed to do another water change today, but I can’t as both my aunt (who lives with us) is off work and my cousin is visiting and I will be inconveniencing them by using the bathroom to hook up my python. The bathroom is the only place I can hook it up. I can’t do a water change tomorrow either as my aunt will be home again. Will I be ok to go a water change on Thursday?

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My guess is you'd be fine, especially considering you didn't do a full 4th dose from your other thread. I would also guess it would increase the chance you'll have a mini-cycle afterwards.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds about right. I had to treat my 10g QT and it killed off all my BB. Luckily, I have 4 cansiters full of bio media so I was able to get the tank cycled again within a day.

Anna94

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I’ve been treating columnaris this:

Day 1 - dose Furan (3packets), dose kanaplex (6scoop)
Day 2 - dose Furan (3packets)
Day 3 - water change (25%) and then dose Furan (3packets), dose kanaplex (6scoop)
Day 4 - water change (25%)
Day 5 - dose kanaplex (6scoop)
Day 7 - water change (25-50%) and then put back Purigen and carbon.

Someone is trying to tell me I need to a whole other treatment of furan. Is this true? I’m starting to freak out here and get frustrated because I’m getting mixed answers.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Several threads have been merged to help keep all the information in one place, it gets very confusing having multiple threads on the same topic.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom