Please Help: White Blotch On Betta Male

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Phoebe, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Phoebe

PhoebeNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hello Fishlore!

So, I've recently come into possession of a ~4 year old male betta and he's an absolute dear. Sweetest fish I've ever kept. However, the poor boy has been through literal fishy **** before I got him (as you'll see from the pictures). He's in a 2.5 gallon right now - the tank he was given to me in, heated but unfiltered (don't have the money to go out and buy him a filter or a new tank atm so I do bi-weekly 75% water changes). I'd give you the parameters but I can't find my test strips for the life of me.

Anyways. As I was watching him yesterday I noticed a large, iridescent white marking had appeared on his dorsal fin. I've never seen this sort of thing happen with any fish before, but that being said I've never seen any betta diseases first hand either. I would be absolutely heartbroken if anything happened to him, which is why I'm turning to you guys for help. If anyone can let me know what this is, or if there's anything I can do, please let me know.

Relevant Information:
    He had and was treated for fin-rot (and I believe ich) before I got him. His fins have always looked like that.
    ----- he's lived with four different people at this point so I don't know his entire medical history, but I've been told he's almost died twice so there's that.
    The only recent tank difference is that there's been an algal outbreak in his tank since I purchased a new plant. I've scrubbed the tank and it's come back twice now. I don't know if that could be severely effecting water quality. (Again, haven't been able to find my test strips in a week now)
    He is the only occupant of the tank and has only ever lived alone
    Tank gets partial sunlight
    His name is Chik-Fil-A Sauce

Attached Files:

2. maeh22

maeh22Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +89
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hello Chik-Fil-A Sauce you cute old guy!!

Is your tank cycled? How is he now?

3. Kamaile

KamaileValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +128
    Experience:
    1 year
    Because you don't have a filter, biweekly water changes probably aren't quite enough. When I don't have a filter in with a betta, I try to at least do 10-25% changes every other day. (sometimes this isn't possible, but I do my best...)

How long exactly have you had him?

If you're worried about the algae, I would suggest snails. They tend to be great tank mates for bettas. If you don't want snails, you might try getting a pleco after you've figured out what the white spot is and dealt with it.