Please help, unknown outbreak in my tank....5 fish dead in 9 days

fishluvr82

Hello everyone I am brand new to the forum. Let me start off by saying that I have many years of experience keeping tropical and freshwater fish. Growing up from the time I was 12 until I was about 22 I kept several tanks, which were either freshwater community tanks, goldfish tanks, African cichlid and Tiger oscar tanks. I stopped my fish hobby in 2004 after my tiger oscar dexter and my pleco died. At the time that was our only tank. We had sold the other 3. So I decided it was time to sell that one too and it wasn't until almost exactly a year ago today that I started keeping fish again. It all starated with me trying to save an incredibly sick betta from walmart. I didn't have the heart to leave him there in that dirty cup to suffer and die. He had severe bacterial infections on both sides of his body and hardly any fins or tail left. I tried my hardest to save him but he died 2 days later. I then got 2 more bettas from walmart who were pretty healthy when I got them just after they had been shipped to the store. I only had 1 for 2.5 weeks, and the other for 4 months. I ended up at one point having 3 tanks and started buying more fish.....platies, gourami's, mollies, guppies, cory cats, plecos, swordtail, danios, ram cichlids, rainbowfish, etc. Let me also say that my tank has a very good hob filter with 4 different kinds of media and an adjustable flow rate and filter foam around the tubing so fish can't get sucked into it. I also have a very good and reliable adjustable heater and I currently have 3 thermometers. 1 glass that has a suction cup, and two different digital thermometers, all of which are always close in readings... my tank usually stays in the high range 78 to low range 79 degrees. I had a lot of fish in my 30 gallon tank but that's because I was going to upgrade to a 55 gallon so it was very temporary. My dwarf gourami who was very healthy when I bought him died of dwarf gourami iridovirus 10 days ago. I didn't separate him at first because I read it's only specific to dwarf gourami's. But when he starated getting worse I separated him so the other fish wouldn't hurt him. He fought for 5 days and then died. The day he died I got 1 male platy from a independent local fish shop. They take very good care of their fish, out of all their tons of tanks, I saw only 1 dead fish. The tank my platy came from had about 4 other platies and 2 or 3 small algae eaters. There were no dead fish, all fish were active and looked very healthy. When I got him home after acclimating him I netted him and put him in the tank. He was a bit shy at first but started exploring his new home. I noticed when I got home before putting him in that my German blue ram that I got from Imperial tropical in Florida wasn't acting right. He was lethargic, at the surface, breathing heavy and rapid and doing some weird jerking motions. The next day he was the same but I noticed he had red lines in his tail. I figured septicemia so I treated the whole tank with seachem paraguard and seachem stress guard. I did that everyday. I ended up seperating him and medicating him but he still died 4 days after my gourami. Before he died in noticed my German gold ram was acting the same way he was except not near the surface of the water. I seperated him and medicated him but he died 2 nights ago. That night 1 danio glofish I bought 4 days earlier was dead when I got home from work. I immediately took him out of the tank. Last night, my red danio glofish was dead at the bottom of the tank as well. I took him out immediately. That's 5 fish dead in 9 days. The rams acted funny and were flashing, breathing rapid and heavy, had their tails clamped, etc. But had no visible signs of disease other than septicemia. The green danio glofish had no signs of injury or disease when I found him dead. My red danio glofish has what looked like septicemia on the back of his body, other than that nothing else. I currently have 5 platies, 3 cory cats, 1 electric blue ram, 1 baby molly, 1 danio and a small rainbowfish. All of them are eating and pooping and acting normal, they have been ever since my gourami got sick. I honestly don't know what to do, because septicemia is very visible and none of my current fish have it. The ones that had it that died, it either appeared suddenly or I only saw it after they died. I check my fish for signs of injury and disease several times everyday. Also I have the apI master test kit and check my water parameters every other day. My water is always perfect. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and my nitrates are super low between 0 and 5. I do have 6 live anubias in there so that contributes to the low nitrates. I use seachem prime water conditioner and I use seachem stability after every water change. I dose wother paraguard and stress guard whenever I get new fish but every fish I pick out from stores I make sure they are in tanks with no signs of disease or dead fish. I also spend a lot of time watching the fish I want before purchasing. I make sure they are active, not acting strange or showing any signs of stress such as clamped fins. I don't like to medicate my tank unless I know exactly what I'm dealing with, which 99.9% of the time I do. Being that my current fish are all acting fine and the ones that died either showed no symptoms at all or showed symptoms shortly before dying I'm at a loss. I do not want to lose anymore fish, I'm already heart broken. I do small water changes every week to get all the waste and uneaten food. I just did a water change mainly to do a gravel vac of all the waste, because I don't want my fish trying to eat waste from my two dead danios or any of my other fish that died. I just don't know if I should medicate my tank with a safe broad spectrum med that is for gram negative and gram positive bacteria or if I should do a huge water change since I've lost a lot of fish in just over a week. I bought some medicated flake food that treats tons of protozoans, etc and have been freeding them that everyday since my second ram got sick. The other weird thing is that only certain species of fish are dying. 2 out of my 3 rams died, and 2 out of my 3 glofish danios died. Also the species that have died are from the same places. My rams I got from Imperial Tropicals, but they were super healthy and active and not even stressed when they arrived from Florida. My danios I got all at petsmart. My electric blue ram I got at petco, and he's the only one that survived. I got my 3 cory cats at petsmart, I got 1 platy, my molly, my rainbow, and my two snails at petco. I got 3 platies from aquarium fish, they are all big, and super healthy since I got them. And I got my newest platy from the local independent fish store. I have read since I lost my gourami that rams can get iridovirus.....so I wonder if it spread from my gourami to them???? But that doesn't explain the danios dying and I've read that danios are some of the hardiest fish. Please someone help. If I do medicate I need something safe, gentle, effective and that won't effect or harm my cories or snails.

Dragones5150918

This is going to sound like an odd question, but the ones that died and the ones that are sick, do they have a grey line around the mouth? Like someone took a grey lip pencil and out lined their mouth?

fishluvr82

No they don't. No grey lines around the mouth. Only my gourami that died of iridovirus had that. I noticed my newest platy was flashing against a plant and started doing some weird squirming/jerk ingredients motions. I got upset, and still thinking I have an outbreak of gill flukes I just dosed the aquarium wother prazipro.....so far no ill effects on any fish. I did two small water changes earlier to mainly gravel vac and get as much waste and uneaten food picked up.

Dragones5150918

Hmmmm. Problem is, Septicemia and Columnaris look the same, and often misdiagnosed. I'm wondering if you have Columnaris instead.

fishluvr82

How can they look the same? Septicimia is when fish have red blood lines in their fins/body. I know the name is HEMORHAGIC SEPTICEMIA. I've cured fish of it before. But none of my current fish are showing symptoms. I still think I got an outbreak of gill flukes. Since my dead fish were flashing and my one platy was. That would also explain why their are no external signs of disease.

fishluvr82

I saw my newest platy flashing against a plant this morning, I freaked out and thought maybe he had gill flukes....I think that's what my rams had. So I dosed the whole tank with HikarI prazipro. So far everyone seems fine and no ill effects from the meds.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
dojafish
Replies
Views
finnipper59
Replies
Views
Jenoli42
Replies
Views