Please help this amateur...

Bmwviolinist1

I set up a new 10 gallon tank with a fish-less cycle (using flakes for the ammonia) in preparation for a betta. It was going well for a few days. Bacteria bloomed and ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate were present. Everything was going well, but the pH shot up to 8.2, and the nitrate dropped to 0 ppm.
This tank includes:
Its parameters are:
pHAmmoniaNitriteNitrate
Yesterday8.22.255
Today8.22.250

My tap water parameters are:
pHAmmoniaNitriteNitrate

The fish-less cycle method I'm using is from Fishless Cycle with Fish Food.

The rest of the plants are doing well from what I can see, but the rosette sword looks terrible. It quickly turned yellow and in some places, brownish.

Any help will be appreciated.

Donthemon

It can take 6 weeks to cycle. Especially using food.

Upvote 0

John58ford

The cycle can take some time. I really only add my plants after I have a nitrate factory up and running, so I cycle first, add fish, then once I have a good amount of nitrate, add a plant. that way they have food available. If one plant doesn't eat enough nitrate, next week I add another, and so on until I'm just about out of weekly nitrate. Then I know if I want these plants larger, I need to add fertilizer, or remove a plant, or add fish/snails etc to increases the nitrates. Your plants will likely do ok, but may melt, have some leafs die, then grow back mid cycle, then again after the parameters finally level out. They may grow back with larger leaves, or smaller, or sightly different colored depending on how they think they can get what they need to survive. They may die, but some plants just aren't meant to be.

As far as your pH shift. Cycling tanks do swing but that seems to be allot. What kind of gravel, and what kind of rocks did you use? did you put in root tabs or some other long term fertilizer? Stable pH is an important thing if you are trying to keep anything alive, plants included, so we need to figure that out first.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
MacZ
75 Gallon Tank No nitrites ???
Replies
Views
Sb092
Replies
Views