Please Help! Tetra Still Sick And Outta Ideas! Help

1. River Gray

River Gray Valued Member Member

I have a Glo Tetra who definitely has dropsy (pic to come but I’m pretty positive... bloated, pop eyed, “pine coned” scales, etc) and I had one tetra that died about a week ago I had thought it was of old age as it didn't show any signs and was old but now I’m rethinking what might have been the cause...
    So I did about a 50% wc (this is my 30gal) took off the carbon and put in a first dose of furan2. Now there is 2 Otos and a clown loach in the tank that I’m not sure whether I should move them to be safe or if they are better off getting the treatment doses along with the rest of the tank, or if I should QT the obviously sick tetra into a smaller tank where he can get treatment easier in better quantities because I don’t have to use three packs each dosage and it won’t be as diluted as it will even at equivalent doses most likely... Any ideas on what my next steps might be would be very welcome!

He has been moved into a QT that’s 2.5gal as the sole occupant with a bare bottom a fake plant and some free floating real leaves. I am worried that the furan2 I’ve been dosing his tank with isn’t doing enough and I’m not sure if his jaw is messed up and restricting him from getting decent nutrition... should I add something like kanaplex to his med regime or possibly some type of bath? Any advice is helpful. I took a bunch of macro pics to show his jaw issues as well as his overall state. Luckily many of his “pineconed” scales seem like they are back to normal or at least less flared than before and he is less swollen and less pop eyed I think but still not sure he’s gonna make it and definitely not ready to put him back into the community tank. Help?

Bottom posts have more info on update... but I’m lost on what to do for him... anyone?

2. Duardo

Duardo Valued Member Member

Been in this situation. Definitely QT the Tetra. Dropsy is a symptom of something else such as poor water conditions or fungal/bacterial diseases. If its the latter then you dont want it to spread so QT it immediately and treat in a separate tank. Leave your main tank alone but keep a close eye on all the fish. If they get sick and you see bloating then it spread in your tank. But to properly treat this you need to know whats causing it so youd need to see a fish vet (I would suggest this only if you see other fish are affected as this can be expensive). But continue with daily water changes of 30-50% make sure th water is clean to rule out poor water quality. good luck and hope you have better luck than I did.

3. OP
    OP
    River Gray

My only problem, and why I didn’t just QT him to begin with actually, is that my QT currently is home to 4 (or 5....?) shrimp whom by all accounts have lived much much longer than they ever should have given that they appear to have signs of Muscular Necrosis.... One of them definitely looks wrong in the body/tail portion and the others have similar irregularities. Oddly none have died and it was around two months now I’m pretty sure when I first noticed and QT’d the worst ones. That being said I have slowly lost all but one remaining cherry and whichever juvenile or young Blue neos that reside in my 10 gal. I didn’t see any major signs of looking milky white in the reds and you can find links to pictures of them if you look up my most recent shrimp posts... So my dilemma is where do I move my healthy seeeming “sick” shrimp whom the medicine the tetra needs would likely harm, unless it “cured” their illness that they look but haven’t had any symptoms and wayyyy outlived the lifespan known for infected shrimp? Do they stay there and get the treatment that might do more harm than good or go in the tank with the other shrimp (and guppyfry) where they could possibly spread it, even though there has been more unknown deaths in that tank than in the QT of “sick” shrimp...?!?!

4. OP
    OP
    River Gray

Here's the pics of the Tetra that's sick. If you think it's something other than dropsy please let me know ASAP! Thanks
    (First pic is a top view right after feeding time so don't worry all that food was gone after a few minutes...sadly not because he ate it but because I cleaned it out minus a couple pieces/flakes in case he gains back his appetite. He is also in a floating breeder so he doesn't have to work hard to stay at the top of the water, near a direct air source, and away from anyone who might pick on him in his delicate state....just wish he knew that instead of probably feeling like he's been boxed in and not understanding why he can see but not swim with his friends :(...)
    Click to enlarge:
    5D1439C2-9D49-4DD6-BD51-17B0600D548C.jpeg CC19E133-3F80-4155-AFEB-54753967748B.jpeg DE443C8C-E953-4809-B67D-10C3CCB4AF46.jpeg
    And the shrimp in QT tank I'm not sure what to do with....

5. Duardo

check if your medicine is invertebrate safe first and if it is, i say keep him in there. So i dont know a lot about shrimp but i found this helpful thread:

tells you about the diseases and even includes muscular necrosis and seeing that its highly contagious I wouldn't put him back in the tank. Now if hes still alive even though hes had this for 2 months could mean it could be something else or it just spreads slowly. By the way go on the thread and ctrl + F and type "muscular" to find the part that talks about curing and the disease easier.

If you can isolate the shrimp in another container like a rubber maid thing or any deep tupperware with the same aquarium water its in, I think it should be ok for a couple days as they have a small bio load, but airate the water with a pump or have a small filter. This way you dont need another tank and can treat your tetra.

By the looks of the pictures its definetly dropsy, since normal bloating doesnt result in pineconing. But again you cant treat the fish properly unless you know whats causing the illness. For instance if its a fungal infection you would treat with metro plex (I think dont take my word for this) but if its bacterial it may be a different medicine. So I suggest going to the vet to get your fish tested if you really want to save him/her but it can cost from $60-$150 so be prepared for that. The sooner you go the better, the more you wait the greater the chance of this becoming uncurable becomes. Its your call, if you think the medicine you have can help then go for it.

6. OP
    OP
    River Gray

I got a little money working at a fair and so spent it on a nice new aquarium kit. It's smaller than my 5gal so it will be easier for me to take care of when I have sick fish or other reason to need a second QT. I may even take down my 5gal once I no longer need to seperate QT tanks. It seems like the furan2 is helping him. He is less bloated looking and also has less pincone looking scales. He's still not eating that I've been able to oserve at any rate and with a glass bottom it's pretty easy to tell whether he's picked at any when I haven't been watching... So I'm still worried for sure but am only half way thru the treatment cycle and it can often take two cycles to cure I've noticed. I may even give him a small dose of kanaplex in case it is something that is resistant to the broad spectrum. Sadly for just one 7$ fish I'd have a hard time justifying a vet trip... I only barely was able to convince my hub to get the second QT tank and that only because of its usefulness in the future. Possibly if my whole 30gal tank fell ill he might then take one of the fish in there to the vet so we could cure them all as well as make sure future denziens don't continue to get sick, but again it would be because it would effect many fish that we have currently but also future ones as well, which would be the key to making it a reasonable investment. I can't say I don't blame him either really... I love all my fish and other aquatic life but I also am aware that while this hobby can be actually a wonderful alternative life for the fish etc that we get, it can also have a negative effect on some and perhaps they would have been better off staying in the wild. However since most of the common fishtank fillers were all bred in captivity in the equivalent of fish Mills most of these fish never had a life in the wild in the first place, so as long as we try our best and research and learn from mistakes and just do our best then we have to except that sometimes we might fall short on occasion in the quality or quantity of a few potentials. Gotta learn from it and move on. Hopefully Sunny will survive and return to the big tank with his friends ASAP and I will try to be a lot more regimented about checking their water as well as going back to weekly instead of bi- (and I'll admit the occasional tri- *blush*) weekly WCs and also test more often than I have been especially when I top of evap etc. It's easy to get pulled into a false sense of security when you have a nice and for long streches healthy seasoned tank and you start to just assume that as long as it looks it it must be healthy when even if it was that way for a long time that doesn't mean it is going to stay that way and it can turn out to be false and only look healthy instead of actually being so.

As for my sick shrimp I've read that post/article already a few times in fact and the only sickness that their physical appearance matches is MN however that's about where the similarities end, yet I've found no other explanation nor has anyone been able to give me one, for why that is and what it might be that is actually going on. For now because it can't jump the species barrier and because I was able to get the seperate QT I have put them in my HOS (hang on side) breeder box that does share water thru aeration cycling and have my male guppies (least I hope I got them seperated correctly so I can avoid any premature pregnancies...!) as well as a few assassin snails (to help combat the bladder snails and some of the MTS population as well that have exploded all over my tank leaving their gunky egg sacks everywhere! Before those I kinda thought the bladder snails were sorta cute and I don't mind the MTSs all that much either except when you see them right after an egg colony has hatched and they are just EVERYWHERE for a little while...but then once most of them have gone back to the gravel they don't bug me as much lol... But I do want the bladder snails gone now so my assassin snails should be in buffet heaven right now...) are in the main part of the tank. I think this arrangement, give or take a hiccup or two, is gonna give sunny the best chance as well as the rest of my tank friends too. (I hope!!!!)

7. OP
    OP
    River Gray

updated photos of him and especially his jaw that I’m worried might have something wrong causing him to be less able to take in food when/if his appetite comes back...

8. OP
    OP
    River Gray

I got some garlic pellets but he doesn’t seem keen on pellet food in general and I’m not sure if his jaw (pic link in post above) allows him to get anything off the bottom, so then got garlic flakes and he seems interested yet doesn’t seem to eat any... I’ve been feeding him a small amount of a mix of fry food and ground flakes as an evening “snack” hoping that because it’s so fine he’ll be able to ingest it just by swimming thru it and so not starve to death, but I’m worried and lost about what to do... How do I help this guy get better and back to his friends where he aught to be? Salt baths? Add another antibiotic? Methylene Blue/Malachite Green in tank or as bath/dips? I just don’t know how to help the poor guy and I know he’ll improve when he’s back in the main tank with his school rather than by himself in an empty hospital tank, but not sure if he’s healthy enough yet to not get others sick... so lost here :(

9. OP
    OP
    River Gray

I need help still to cure this guy and get this guy back in the community tank. He doesn’t seem to care about food and mostly swims, or closer to floats rather, on the bottom of the hospital tank, not really doing much. He will swim around at a decent clip when I clean up the food from the tank that he hasn’t eaten and when the lights first go on or off etc, but that’s about it. He looks much healthier but I’m still. Worried about it spreading if I put him back with his school, yet wonder if that might be what he needs to get over this last hurdle and get his strength back by eating and socializing rather than seeming lonely and depressed. I’m so torn and confused and not getting much feedback in this thread but I’m trying to avoid making a new one and cluttering up the forum...

10. Duardo

sorry about that. I was busy with personal matters so I wasnt on as much. I dont see whats wrong with his jaw? Also he has some black coloration, and I was wondering if hes always been like that, since you got him, or did he begin to show the black coloration around when he was getting sick or a little before he got sick.

As for food, try the frozen pea method, maybe thatll help and then give him little bits of food and clean up any excess not eaten up within the hour. Keep doing your treatment if it seems to be working. I wouldnt add any other meds as it could be harmful exposing him to so many chemicals but I would do kanaplex after the cycling of your current medication if it doesnt help. And yes salt baths are always good so do that.