Please help suggest a treatment for my sick goldfish - slime disease/flukes/ich? I'm not sure

Yck

Reaction score
Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 20
How long has the tank been running? 1 month
Does it have a filter? aquaclear 70
Does it have a heater? no
What is the water temperature? 78
What is the entire stocking of this tank? 1 small oranda goldfish only

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? about every 6 days. i check the parameters using api test kit and change when nitrates reach around 40
How much of the water do you change? 40-50%
What do you use to treat your water? seachem prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? just the water. substrate it fine sand so i dont believe much waste gets within it

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? i added an already cycled sponge filter to cycle the tank right away. my readings showed a cycled tank within 1-2 days.
What do you use to test the water? api freshwater test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0.25 (i am keeping an eye on this since i know anything above 0 is too much)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
pH: 6

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 2-3 times a day
How much do you feed your fish? i do belive i was overfeeding before but now i feed only a few soaked hikari pellets 2-3 times a day. would appreciate any advice on how much exactly.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? hikari oranda gold pellets, soaked
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? no

Illness & Symptoms
  • How long have you had this fish? 1 month
  • How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? noticed small dots lined up on dots on his pectoral fins about 2.5 weeks ago but thought they were breeding stars since they were uniform. noticed 1-2 more dots on his gill plates each side and figured those were breeding stars as well. maybe some mild flashing before but hes always been high-energy so im not sure if it was actual flashing. these new symptoms showed up 3 days ago.
  • In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? new symptoms are shedding of slime coat, flashing around tank, difficulty "breathing" / labored gill movement visible, cloudy eye. some red streaks on tail. his scales are not inflamed thought it may look like it in the photos from certain angles - this is the shedding i believe.
  • Have you started any treatment for the illness? i figured maybe the dots were ich so i started api super ich 2 days ago. second dose due today but have not yet since plan to get new diffferent medication. also did a mild salt dip day 1 for 5 mins and another for 10 mins day 2. today i added ~1 tablespoon of salt / 4 gallons of water to his entire tank.
  • Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no, but i recently asked the store and they said they dont quarantine, so could have been a dormant issue. also, i added a new live plants from the same LFS just a few days before my fish got sick.
  • How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? past 2-3 days has laid at bottom of tank, between plants, barely moving. still eats ok.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.

my oranda is shedding its slime coat, flashing behavior, labored gill movement, cloudy eye, some red streaks on tail, clamped fins, and laying at bottom of tank. some white dots lines up on front of his 2 pectoral fins and 1-2 white dots on his gill plates - these i thought were breeding stars since the fin dots are uniform - i dont believe they are anymore since i think they look less visible after i did a salt dip so maybe some came off? please help determine what would be a good treatment - api general cure / seachem paraguard / hikari prazipro / api fural 2. i'll get anything u guys reccomend. he looks very uncomfortable and isnt moving much for the past 2 days. 2 days ago he first shed his slime coat and started looking sick - i did a salt dip and he looked better and no slime coat coating was visible. today 2 days later he is shedding his slime coat again. could it be slime disease or something like flukes which i read could also induce shedding of slime coat. he is flashing so he's itchy. ive read conflicting treatments for all these things so im just stuck at what to actually buy. should i do the 2nd api super ick cure dose today as instructed or switch to general cure of something different? please help me help my buddy.

the photo with all the white dust is today. photo from the back was from 2 days ago. photo showing the fin dots is from when they showed up 2 weeks ago.

Attachments

BettaSorority

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorry to hear about your goldfish. The first thing that comes to mind in terms of causes of illness is either stress or chemical burns or both can cause weakened slime coats. 20 gallons can work for a goldfish but bigger is always better so if possible could you try to upgrade to a 29 gallon or even better a 40 breeder, as you probably already know goldfish can be messy.

For now I would do a water change to bring down the ammonia. Has it always been a problem if so maybe check you water source parameters.

And for treatment aquarium salt can be used to help the fish produce slime coat or products designed to help slime coat healing idealing containing aloe vera which helps the slime coat stick the the body.

OP
Y

Yck

Reaction score
BettaSorority said:
Sorry to hear about your goldfish. The first thing that comes to mind in terms of causes of illness is either stress or chemical burns or both can cause weakened slime coats. 20 gallons can work for a goldfish but bigger is always better so if possible could you try to upgrade to a 29 gallon or even better a 40 breeder, as you probably already know goldfish can be messy.

For now I would do a water change to bring down the ammonia. Has it always been a problem if so maybe check you water source parameters.

And for treatment aquarium salt can be used to help the fish produce slime coat or products designed to help slime coat healing idealing containing aloe vera which helps the slime coat stick the the body.
thank you for the advice. I do plan on upgrading if he makes it through. I have been doing salt dips, so thanks for the advice and reminder to add stress coat to the water. Went to my local fish store and they recommended I use API Furan-2 since they said it sounds bacterial. I started with the first dose today. I’m worried because some online sources say it’s sometimes from parasite so then the fural wouldn’t work in that case. If after a few days this doesn’t work I may consider tryinG something for parasites instead, if the poor guy makes it that long. After today’s salt dip he does seem a bit better though.

NevermindIgnoreMe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would continue the salt, also your tank size is fine imo as long as the parameters are continually good. Make sure to do more water changes, to vacuum up any parasites that may have fallen off. Also, did the lfs seriously tell you specifically NOT to quarantine? That was not smart. It's extremely important, it saves lives, and entire setups. Always quarantine if at all possible, it could save your tank. Also if he makes it I would add a friend as goldfish are known to be social, though you probably will want to after you have upgraded your tank I assume.

OP
Y

Yck

Reaction score
NevermindIgnoreMe said:
I would continue the salt, also your tank size is fine imo as long as the parameters are continually good. Make sure to do more water changes, to vacuum up any parasites that may have fallen off. Also, did the lfs seriously tell you specifically NOT to quarantine? That was not smart. It's extremely important, it saves lives, and entire setups. Always quarantine if at all possible, it could save your tank. Also if he makes it I would add a friend as goldfish are known to be social, though you probably will want to after you have upgraded your tank I assume.
Hi. Thanks for the advice. Thankfully he’s looking so much better after 2 days of furan-2 and 30 mins salt dips and mild salt bath in the tank. He’s no longer shedding or clammed and he’s moving around fine. Sadly he did develop fin rot the same day I posted, but that hasn’t kept progressing. So I think we may be in the clear. I’m continuing all medications and salt for a few more days as directed in the instructions. I’m so happy the little guy is feeling better. I definitely regret adding that plant cause I’m sure that’s what causes it since it was bacterial. I’ll never visit that LFS again. I will get him a buddy from a different place once I upgrade.

foxtrot

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
also while cleaning the tank you may have gotten some soap or chemicals accidentally in his tank

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom