Please help! Something really wrong with my goldfish

1. TayJay76 Member Member

I have one red cap oranda goldfish. Yesterday my fish was fine, but today she seems really sick. She hasn't been eating today and isn't moving just staying on the bottom. When I got back home from work she was still in the same spot on the bottom of the tank. I did an ammonia test a little while ago and the ammonia is fine. I noticed that he has a pinkish bruise on her underside, she can't seem to move or stay balanced very well. She also seems bloated as well. I got a couple of pictures of her so please help. sick fish 001.jpg sick fish 003.jpg sick fish 004.jpg

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Fancy goldfish are very prone to internal problems, and this looks like one, for sure. I don't really think there is anything you can do :(

3. TayJay76 Member Member

Wow, that really sucks. Do you think it was anything I did?

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Probably not, really. You can just feed them and they have issues.

5. yukoandk Member Member

Do you have a quarantine tank/container? He has an internal infection and requires antibacterial medication. I recommend Oxolium in a quarantine set up. Other broad spectrum antibiotic options are kanamycin/metronidazole combination, and Medi-Gold medicated food from goldfish connection. First thing I would do is to move him to quarantine with a heater (upper 70’s) and air, new water at 0.3 salt concentration (may mix some Epsom salt), do not feed, do not disturb (leave the quarantine tank/container in a dark, quiet place) and see how he does for a few days. You will need to start doing water changes after 2-3 days with the temperature and salt concentration matched new water. Depending on his condition then, you can do partial or complete water change, add medication, etc. In a meanwhile, do some large water changes to the main tank and clean the gravel to flush out built up toxins. Hope this helps.

6. TayJay76 Member Member

Thanks for the advice, but sadly when I put her in the QT after I set it up she died. I made sure the that tank was the same temp and no ammonia, but I think that the infection was to far gone. I appriciate your advice. DO you know how I could possibly prevent this in the future.

7. TayJay76 Member Member

Will my other fish get sick too?

8. My TigerBarb Fish"Fluffy" Initiate Member

Can u tell me the temp of ur tank heater?
    i had two gold fish too but the both fines
    or give me ur information about ur tank?

9. My TigerBarb Fish"Fluffy" Initiate Member

Goldfish tend to lie at the bottom of a tank on their sides if they are stressed, and this normally means they are close to death. If you discover that a goldfish is lying on the bottom of the tank, it should be removed as if it is dying it can infect the water and this will kill other fish in the tank. The fish can be killed outside of the tank by adding clove oil to water; this will kill the fish without it feeling any pain.

The most common reason that goldfish retreat to the bottom of the tank is the swim bladder. This is an organ that the fish uses to balance and to swim around the tank. If the swim bladder contracts disease then the fish loses its balance and falls to the bottom of the tank. Other reasons for fish going to the bottom of the tank are constipation, caused by overeating, and fatty liver disease.

There are a number of ways to keep goldfish in the best possible condition and the most important of these is to ensure that the tank is kept clean, and that the water is changed on a regular basis, at least weekly. This will enable the levels of ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites to be at the optimum level. Food levels should be monitored and it is important not to over feed goldfish, a small pinch of fish food once a day is normally enough to satisfy two goldfish.

Some goldfish can bully other goldfish, which will cause them to withdraw and retreat to the bottom of the tank. The bullying goldfish should be removed from the main body of the tank and placed in a separate floating device within the tank.

10. TayJay76 Member Member

I suspect a number of reasons as to why the goldfish died, I have realized that I wasn't doing large enough water changes every week, I now do 50 % water changes every week. There are now four fish in there, she died a couple of days ago. I suspect it was a swim bladder related infection that aperently spread fast, thus killing her within a day. She wasn't bullied so that wasn't the issue.

I have heard that sometimes goldfish will sit at the bottom to reast, but shouldn't sit there for more than the night. I removed her the night that she started showing symptoms into a QT. I did a 50 % water changes sucking up all of the gravel to ensure that I got all the toxins out of the tank. Thanks for the info:)

11. My TigerBarb Fish"Fluffy" Initiate Member

U are Welcome