Please Help, Snail Shell Cracked

Nikki2577

HI everyone,
This morning my husband came downstairs and heard a snap, he ran over to see what my dog had. It was one of my mystery snails He must have escaped but I really have no idea how. Anyways he is still alive. I doubt he will make it but I want to make sure there is nothing I can do for him or his shell. I floated him in a plastic container for several hours and he moved some so I put him back in his tank. Here is a picture( it is not good at all poor guy) please help with any suggestions or if there is no chance of survival.
Thank you so much!

WTFish?

Oh wow, I’m so sorry, I have no advice but curious as to what others say, poor thing.

Nikki2577

It’s so sad he is trying to come out but as you can tell by the picture there is one pretty sharp piece of shell and I am sure it hurts him

Milliemae124

Ouch! Yes I don’t think he will last long do you have any fish in your tank as I expect they will start to pick on him

david1978

I have seem videos of people patching holes in shells but I can't remember exactly what was used to do it and non had a follow up if it worked. For the sharp piece maby a nail file to dull it. Keep him on a wet cloth when hes out of the water and you should have plenty of time to be careful what you do.

Rtessy

I've had one recover from a pretty bad crack, but not quite that bad. If you could isolate him from fish, he may have a chance, I'm sorry

Thunder_o_b

Ok, do you have any shells of snails past? Do you have or do you know anyone that has a high speed Dremel tool with a cutting disc? If so you can cut the old shell to fit over the broken shell and affix it with a super glue gel. Must be the gel. If you were near me I could do it for you. We keep all the shells of snails that have taken the long walk in case of something like this.

Best wishes.

Nikki2577

Thunder_o_b said:
Ok, do you have any shells of snails past? Do you have or do you know anyone that has a high speed Dremel tool with a cutting disc? If so you can cut the old shell to fit over the broken shell and affix it with a super glue gel. Must be the gel. If you were near me I could do it for you. We keep all the shells of snails that have taken the long walk in case of something like this.

Best wishes.
I do have a couple shells and I do have aquatic gel super glue but I don’t have have a dremel
He is trying to move around but that sharp part is not allowing it. Could I take some small fingernail clippers and try and round that part off some? He is in a tank with one German blue ram who won’t bother him.

Rtessy said:
I've had one recover from a pretty bad crack, but not quite that bad. If you could isolate him from fish, he may have a chance, I'm sorry
My dog has gotten one in the past but only made a little chip in the shell and that snail is doing fine now. I will isolate him if it looks like he is being bothered. Thank you for your help

Nikki2577 said:
I do have a couple shells and I do have aquatic gel super glue but I don’t have have a dremel
He is trying to move around but that sharp part is not allowing it. Could I take some small fingernail clippers and try and round that part off some? He is in a tank with one German blue ram who won’t bother him.
Thank you for your help

david1978 said:
I have seem videos of people patching holes in shells but I can't remember exactly what was used to do it and non had a follow up if it worked. For the sharp piece maby a nail file to dull it. Keep him on a wet cloth when hes out of the water and you should have plenty of time to be careful what you do.
I am thinking just a small pair of nail clippers

Thunder_o_b

Nikki2577 said:
I would try what david1978 said and use a nail file first. But yeah, a clipper would work.

Nikki2577

Ok thank you very much. So I haven’t touched him yet and he is moving around! Should I still clip or file that sharp part?

david1978 said:
I think I got this snail from you awhile ago! I just realized the name.

Thunder_o_b

Nikki2577 said:
Ok thank you very much. So I haven’t touched him yet and he is moving around! Should I still clip or file that sharp part?
Yes, to prevent further injury to the little one.

david1978

Not from. Lol. Never sold snails.

Nikki2577

Lol no that’s right I was interested in your Severums. Maybe that’s right! Lol

Ok I clipped the pointy parts and will hope for the best. He seems like a tough guy keeping my fingers crossed.

Nikki2577

He made it through the night and has been moving everywhere)

Thunder_o_b

Wonderful

WTFish?

Yay!

StormTrooper

Provide TONS of calcium! Their shells grow very fast if provided an excellent source of calcium!

Nikki2577

He was doing good but as the night progressed he stopped moving and it doesn’t look good I don’t understand how he did so well and went downhill so fast. He is now in a container floating and I am hoping he is better in the morning but he wasn’t very reactive tonight. I still have my fingers crossed.

InsanityShard

Make sure to keep him away from other fish, I suggest quarantining him. You can indeed repair the shell.

StormTrooper

Does it look like any of his skin got damaged? And puncture wounds? Any missing antennae?

Nikki2577

He had his antennae and he looked like he was doing well climbing all over plants and the tank walls but we couldn’t save him he passed away over night. He put up a good fish but I just think too much of his shell was damaged. We did smooth it out where we could and looked him over as best we could but it was just too much for him I guess
I still have no idea how he got out, his shell was bigger than any of the holes by the filter. I will be moving my other two mystery snails in that tank to my larger tank that has a mesh cover due to an eel living in there. There is no way for them to get out of that one.

I want to thank all of you for your help, encouragement and kindness

Edit: fight not fish.

Buganjimo

I’m so sorry, sounds like he was a fighter. You did all that you could.

Nikki2577

Buganjimo said:
I’m so sorry, sounds like he was a fighter. You did all that you could.
Thank you, he was definitely trying his best. This won’t happen again! The rest of them are in a tank that is impossible for them to get out! Well I think this to be true.

Ms rose

this is a sad story, but I feel you did all you could. one questiom, how was his foot yellow??? I have only ever seen/had dark foot and white foot, but NEVER saw yellow foot. is this common or not so much?

InsanityShard

There are some species of apple snails that are a nice gold colour all over. Yellow feet is normal.

Ms rose

wow, now I need one lol, a yellow FOOT would be unique to my... "collection" lol

WTFish?

Aw I’m sorry he didn’t make it, you tried hard

Nikki2577

His foot was yellow/orange. I really have no idea if it’s normal but all my others have white or dark. He was special. I miss him! Maybe someone can chime in and tell you if it normal on some of them. He sure wasn’t sick before he escaped and encountered my dog, so the orange was normal for him.

I thought apple snails and mystery snails were two different types of snails? This guy was a mystery snail.

Rtessy

I am so sorry for your lost, that really sucks
And your correct, apple snails and mystery snails are different types of snails, mystery snails get to about the size of a golf ball while apple snails get the size of a very large apple.
An orange foot is unusual, but not unheard of.... He was a special little guy, and I'm so sorry you lost him.
Also, I just have to say it, it's bad taste to ask someone about their deceased pet and his genetics less than a day after he passed. It would have been much better to post a separate thread about mystery snail genetics and colors overall, instead of forcing someone to answer about the pet they just lost. I really don't mean to be harsh or rude, but I would have handled it differently. Plus, you could have gotten more information about the different genetics and crosses

Thunder_o_b

Condolences for your loss.

Ms rose

Nikki2577 said:
His foot was yellow/orange. I really have no idea if it’s normal but all my others have white or dark. He was special. I miss him! Maybe someone can chime in and tell you if it normal on some of them. He sure wasn’t sick before he escaped and encountered my dog, so the orange was normal for him.

I thought apple snails and mystery snails were two different types of snails? This guy was a mystery snail.
Yes I was told they are normal lol and mystery snails are in the Apple snail family. But aren't the invasive species type

Ms rose

Rtessy said:
I am so sorry for your lost, that really sucks
And your correct, apple snails and mystery snails are different types of snails, mystery snails get to about the size of a golf ball while apple snails get the size of a very large apple.
An orange foot is unusual, but not unheard of.... He was a special little guy, and I'm so sorry you lost him.
Also, I just have to say it, it's bad taste to ask someone about their deceased pet and his genetics less than a day after he passed. It would have been much better to post a separate thread about mystery snail genetics and colors overall, instead of forcing someone to answer about the pet they just lost. I really don't mean to be harsh or rude, but I would have handled it differently. Plus, you could have gotten more information about the different genetics and crosses
Well I didn't feel it was wrong. I was genuely curious. I found it beautiful and wanted to know about it. I feel if op. didn't like the question I asked then op. would have said so. Tragic rhings happen but when you ppst pics and talk about it, it is now a public discussion. Op, I hopeI didnt affend you

Mazeus

I'm sorry for your loss. You did everything you could for him and I bet he had a fantastic life with you.

Nikki2577

Not offended he was beautiful and special.

Ms rose

glad not to offend you. he was beautiful, now I'm looking for a yellow foot lol

Nikki2577

Look in buy sell or trad on here and look for Ryan1824 I got my mystery snails from him

Ms rose

oh I bought all my 8 perple and magentas from him, sadly, no yellow foots, but ill keep my eyes open. thankx for all the info you have provided. and most importantly, very very sorry for the loss of this snail. I am very attached to mine and can only imagine loosing them.

InsanityShard

Actually, there are multiple types of apple snails. Mine is a Diffusa, golf ball sized, and yellow, but definitely an apple snail.

Ms rose

InsanityShard said:
Actually, there are multiple types of apple snails. Mine is a Diffusa, golf ball sized, and yellow, but definitely an apple snail.
?

Ms rose

yes I agree that mysterys are a type of apple snaul, I was just saying, they aren't the invasive species

Nikki2577

Ms rose said:
oh I bought all my 8 perple and magentas from him, sadly, no yellow foots, but ill keep my eyes open. thankx for all the info you have provided. and most importantly, very very sorry for the loss of this snail. I am very attached to mine and can only imagine loosing them.
Mmmmm well mine all came together and they were all from Ryan1824 and they were all mystery snails, maybe you could check with him and see if he has any yellow footed ones It’s sad but I think it bothers me most because I was so careful to make sure he couldn’t escape because it did happen one other time but no loss of life. Ultimately their little lives are in our hands and I dropped the ball I have fixed the problem and it won’t happen again. I have also learned the lesson to keep all my intakes covered with foam.

Nikki2577

Again I want to thank everyone for your help and thoughts for me and the little guy. It means a lot when there are people like you guys who don’t just look at it like “it was just a snail” or for that matter “it’s just a fish”. It’s very hard when your in the hobby and these creatures are in our care and friends and family think your just crazy because they just don't get it. Very happy to have the support from this forum and all the people I have communicated with that have really helped me grow It’s a beautiful thing

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom