Please Help, Snail Shell Cracked

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi everyone,
This morning my husband came downstairs and heard a snap, he ran over to see what my dog had. It was one of my mystery snails He must have escaped but I really have no idea how. Anyways he is still alive. I doubt he will make it but I want to make sure there is nothing I can do for him or his shell. I floated him in a plastic container for several hours and he moved some so I put him back in his tank. Here is a picture( it is not good at all poor guy) please help with any suggestions or if there is no chance of survival.
Thank you so much!
IMG_0705.jpg

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh wow, I’m so sorry, I have no advice but curious as to what others say, poor thing.

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It’s so sad he is trying to come out but as you can tell by the picture there is one pretty sharp piece of shell and I am sure it hurts him

Milliemae124

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ouch! Yes I don’t think he will last long do you have any fish in your tank as I expect they will start to pick on him

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have seem videos of people patching holes in shells but i can't remember exactly what was used to do it and non had a follow up if it worked. For the sharp piece maby a nail file to dull it. Keep him on a wet cloth when hes out of the water and you should have plenty of time to be careful what you do.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I've had one recover from a pretty bad crack, but not quite that bad. If you could isolate him from fish, he may have a chance, I'm sorry

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok, do you have any shells of snails past? Do you have or do you know anyone that has a high speed Dremel tool with a cutting disc? If so you can cut the old shell to fit over the broken shell and affix it with a super glue gel. Must be the gel. If you were near me I could do it for you. We keep all the shells of snails that have taken the long walk in case of something like this.

Best wishes.

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thunder_o_b said:
Ok, do you have any shells of snails past? Do you have or do you know anyone that has a high speed Dremel tool with a cutting disc? If so you can cut the old shell to fit over the broken shell and affix it with a super glue gel. Must be the gel. If you were near me I could do it for you. We keep all the shells of snails that have taken the long walk in case of something like this.

Best wishes.
I do have a couple shells and I do have aquatic gel super glue but I don’t have have a dremel
He is trying to move around but that sharp part is not allowing it. Could I take some small fingernail clippers and try and round that part off some? He is in a tank with one German blue ram who won’t bother him.

Rtessy said:
I've had one recover from a pretty bad crack, but not quite that bad. If you could isolate him from fish, he may have a chance, I'm sorry
My dog has gotten one in the past but only made a little chip in the shell and that snail is doing fine now. I will isolate him if it looks like he is being bothered. Thank you for your help

Nikki2577 said:
I do have a couple shells and I do have aquatic gel super glue but I don’t have have a dremel
He is trying to move around but that sharp part is not allowing it. Could I take some small fingernail clippers and try and round that part off some? He is in a tank with one German blue ram who won’t bother him.
Thank you for your help

david1978 said:
I have seem videos of people patching holes in shells but i can't remember exactly what was used to do it and non had a follow up if it worked. For the sharp piece maby a nail file to dull it. Keep him on a wet cloth when hes out of the water and you should have plenty of time to be careful what you do.
I am thinking just a small pair of nail clippers

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nikki2577 said:
I would try what @david1978 said and use a nail file first. But yeah, a clipper would work.

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok thank you very much. So I haven’t touched him yet and he is moving around! Should I still clip or file that sharp part?

david1978 said:
I think I got this snail from you awhile ago! I just realized the name.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nikki2577 said:
Ok thank you very much. So I haven’t touched him yet and he is moving around! Should I still clip or file that sharp part?
Yes, to prevent further injury to the little one.

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lol no that’s right I was interested in your Severums. Maybe that’s right! Lol

Ok I clipped the pointy parts and will hope for the best. He seems like a tough guy keeping my fingers crossed.

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He made it through the night and has been moving everywhere)
IMG_0709.jpg

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He was doing good but as the night progressed he stopped moving and it doesn’t look good I don’t understand how he did so well and went downhill so fast. He is now in a container floating and I am hoping he is better in the morning but he wasn’t very reactive tonight. I still have my fingers crossed.

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Make sure to keep him away from other fish, I suggest quarantining him. You can indeed repair the shell.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom