Please help! Sick Molly

Mack1995

Reaction score
I’m brand new to the hobby and have spent the last month cycling my tank. My ammonia levels finally fell so I bought a couple of gold dust mollies on 4/4. They were doing well, until I got home today. One of them seems to be doing just fine, but the other has what seems to be pineconing scales, a weird white spot towards the tail area, and part of her tail is missing when it was fine this morning! Can anyone give me advice on what to do?
6A9CF12A-DD54-4959-9882-BC781CC6DFB3.jpeg

BBetta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The reason for the missing fin could be from the other fish picking on it. If you are noticing any bulling or food hogging or fin nipping going on, that is most likely the problem. The only way I have really seen to fix it, is to get rid of the bully, because a lot of time, if it does it to one, it does it to the rest of them. If the fish is picking on the others in the presence of food, that can be solved. try to feed the fish in separate areas of the tank. Make sure to give lots of hiding places, so that they can get away from each other if they feel bothered. The missing fin also could be because of to sharp of object in the tank. I can see form the picture you are going to artificial rout, which is fine, if you do it right. Making sure to get plants with no sharp edges (try silk plants) and making sure if there is any driftwood, rocks, and any artificial decor in there that's no sharp edges. For the white spot, it doesn't look like it is ick, because ick is more spread out and is usually white dots all over the body and fins, it very well just could be the color pattern. If the fish starts to act lethargic and is not going for any food, I would try API's general cure, Melafix, and if you start to see white dots everywhere and you think it is ick, increase the temperature of your tank SLOWLY over the course of a few days (just a couple degrees) and try API's super ick cure. Ick cannot survive in warm water, and that's what really helped when my fish once had it. I dont know much about pineconing but I think a good ready is boiled crushed pea. But if your fish really does have that, I would separate her immediately. It is a very hard thing to cure. But honestly look somethings up on YouTube, that where I learned a lot of things about fish keeping, and fish diseases.

General cure;

Melafix;
Amazon.com : API MELAFIX Freshwater Fish Bacterial Infection Remedy 16-Ounce Bottle : Pet Supplies

Ick Treatment;

Hope this helps! :)

OP
Mack1995

Mack1995

Reaction score
Thank you! I have noticed the other fish “chasing” her around the tank occasionally. But they don’t seem to bother each other during feeding time. I didn’t even think about the artificial plants being an issue. With this being my first time, I figured it would be easier to just try keeping fish than both plants and fish. I’ll have to look more in to better plants. I have noticed in the last hour or so that the injured one is only swimming up and down in the same general area of the tank. There’s plenty of space (20 gallons), so maybe that’s something to do with losing part of her tail?

Also, they were in the same tank when I bought them

BBetta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mack1995 said:
Thank you! I have noticed the other fish “chasing” her around the tank occasionally. But they don’t seem to bother each other during feeding time. I didn’t even think about the artificial plants being an issue. With this being my first time, I figured it would be easier to just try keeping fish than both plants and fish. I’ll have to look more in to better plants. I have noticed in the last hour or so that the injured one is only swimming up and down in the same general area of the tank. There’s plenty of space (20 gallons), so maybe that’s something to do with losing part of her tail?
That does kind of sound like pineconing, and if she starts to only at the top of the tank, and she gets very bloated, as sad as it is to say, probably won’t make it. So it’s better to just remover her from the tank, and you can try to treat her, but it’s very hard to cure. I really have found that by buying fish either online or at a good local fish store instead of the big box stores, you usually have less illnesses in the fish. I’m really sorry about the poor fishy, that kind of thing really does suck. :(

wishuponafish

Reaction score
If you bought her at petsmart, you should be able to get a replacement (dead or alive) since it's within 14 days of purchase, probably at petco too. They know that sometimes they have sick fish, and they do this to account for it; I recommend taking advantage of this policy since meds can get pretty expensive with no guarantee she'll pull through, and you don't want your other fish getting infected too.

kdwyer

Reaction score
molly’s are supposed to have some aquarium salt added to their water. take out the fish bully. also if there are anymore white spots treat the tank with ich.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom