Please help - sick guppy - ideas?

jimvski

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi all,

I have an all male tank of guppies that I raised from birth. They seem to get along and I haven't noticed any aggression between them. Yesterday, I noticed one sitting on the bottom not being social. He is one that I added to the tank a bit later than the rest because he was on the smaller side. Even after I added him, I didn't notice any real aggression between them.

When looking at him closely, I noticed a slight red patch on his right side. At first I thought it was just his coloring coming out (he'll be black and red like his brothers). But today I noticed it looks slightly inflamed. I'm in the process of moving him to my hospital tank and I figured I'd start with Melafix to see what happens.

Water parameters are good - 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates, 20 or less nitrates (I can never seem to get my nitrates much lower in any of my tanks). It's a 65 gallon planted tank (small plants) with only maybe 20 fish. It's only been up about 2 months but was and it was cycled prior to adding fish (especially for him because he was added later).

Can anyone help me with some better ideas/thoughts? Attached is a pic of him. The reddish spot is just behind his gill above his fin.

Thanks,
Jim

PS. I should have mentioned he's still eating and swimming around occasionally.

image.jpg

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It doesn't sound like your tank is overcrowded, so I think he IS getting bullied when your not looking. Could you put him in a quarantine tank?

jimvski

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the feedback. I did quarantine him and gave him some salt and PraziPro and Melafix. I think I had a parasite that was killing my fry and he was one I raised. He seemed to get better so we're going to try moving him back and see how it goes.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom