Please Help, Sick Betta :(

TheSquishyPenguin

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Will try and keep this brief while providing enough information as to what lead up to this, thanks in advance!!

Noticed my betta was hiding a lot more than usual a few days ago, but he’d still swim up and happily greet me and hang out with me for a bit - so I thought nothing of it.

I started seeing less of him, yesterday I didn’t see him once. at all. This concerned me a lot. normally he’s always swimming around his tank or resting where i can see him.

Checked parameters and maybe had <1ppm ammonia, decided to do a WC and look for my poor fish. Found him very lifeless and initially thought he was dead until I touched him and he moved.

did a large WC, dosed with extra prime to be sure. but ever since he’s continued to be very lifeless and limp and I don’t know what’s wrong with him ( i dont think this is a WC issue, this must’ve been affecting him for some time until I noticed something wasn’t right when he didn’t show up at all)

he CAN swim,he does try his best to come up for air but extremely rarely, he’s currently in a breeder box with a gentle air stone and his leaf. If you agitate him, he CAN swim. but afterwards he sinks to the bottom and lays limp for ages. I guess until he can find it in him to swim up again. His breathing is quite heavy.

current info:

Tank size: 15g
filtered: yes
cycled: yes, for several months now
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: <5ppm from large WC
temp: 24C

It’s now the next day and he’s still in the same condition.

NO other symptoms or problems.

I have no idea what’s wrong with him or how to fix it.

Any help AT ALL appreciated, I’m at a loss

tumblr_inline_p7se0we6am1qkbtea_540.jpg

motherofbettas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Aww, I'm so sorry he's sick! It can be so stressful for us when our wet pets are suffering.

How long have you had him? Old age could be a possible factor. That's the only thing I can think of, especially since you said there are no other signs or symptoms.

WanhiBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Only thing I can notice is that 24C is a bit too cold. It can mess with their immune system on the long term. 26C or 80F is recommended.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The temp is a bit cold for a betta. They like their temp to be around 80F. I cant really see anything wrong with him in the picture

TheSquishyPenguin

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
motherofbettas said:
Aww, I'm so sorry he's sick! It can be so stressful for us when our wet pets are suffering.

How long have you had him? Old age could be a possible factor. That's the only thing I can think of, especially since you said there are no other signs or symptoms.
Thanks so much, it's definitely nerve wracking - I didn't think he'd make it until the morning but he's still with me. This little guy is only about a year and a half old, if that. He was born about a year ago when I purchased him and I've had him for about half a year now.

WanhiBetta said:
Only thing I can notice is that 24C is a bit too cold. It can mess with their immune system on the long term. 26C or 80F is recommended.
Ah! thank you! I normally keep him at 26C, but I lowered it to see if it would help at all - doesn't seem to of so I'll bump it back up to where it normally is. But yeah he's been at 26C for a long time, I have no idea why he's gradually declined.

JamieXPXP said:
The temp is a bit cold for a betta. They like their temp to be around 80F. I cant really see anything wrong with him in the picture
Thanks! I do normally keep him at 26C but lowered it to see if he would fare any better since he hasn't I've put it back to 26C/80F. In the picture he looks okay other than being limp and lifeless.

-

I did read somewhere I *think* someone else had the same symptoms for bloating, but I can't get this little guy to eat his peas. He's already been fasting for a day or two prior as I'd actually run out of food. (had flakes on backup but didn't want to use them, he normally gets micro pellets)
I have a medication that deals with parasites, abdominal swelling, dropsy and a few other things so I'm going to try soaking a blood worm in it and giving it to him, but that'll be the only food he gets.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TheSquishyPenguin said:
Thanks so much, it's definitely nerve wracking - I didn't think he'd make it until the morning but he's still with me. This little guy is only about a year and a half old, if that. He was born about a year ago when I purchased him and I've had him for about half a year now.

Ah! thank you! I normally keep him at 26C, but I lowered it to see if it would help at all - doesn't seem to of so I'll bump it back up to where it normally is. But yeah he's been at 26C for a long time, I have no idea why he's gradually declined.

Thanks! I do normally keep him at 26C but lowered it to see if he would fare any better since he hasn't I've put it back to 26C/80F. In the picture he looks okay other than being limp and lifeless.

-

I did read somewhere I *think* someone else had the same symptoms for bloating, but I can't get this little guy to eat his peas. He's already been fasting for a day or two prior as I'd actually run out of food. (had flakes on backup but didn't want to use them, he normally gets micro pellets)
I have a medication that deals with parasites, abdominal swelling, dropsy and a few other things so I'm going to try soaking a blood worm in it and giving it to him, but that'll be the only food he gets.
If he had bloat then he would have a really big stomach. Which he doesnt

BobNJerry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
awww poor baby.

a low temp would make them listless but i don't think your temp was THAT low that it caused you're betta to be like he is now.

something else going on with him. It doesn't look like he has any bloating in the pic.. and it looks as though you take very good care of him- all of his fins look nice and healthy.

I strongly doubt it was anything you did. I think Betta's are just very very poorly breed and have all kinds of issues that show up as they mature.

TheSquishyPenguin

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BobNJerry said:
awww poor baby.

a low temp would make them listless but i don't think your temp was THAT low that it caused you're betta to be like he is now.

something else going on with him. It doesn't look like he has any bloating in the pic.. and it looks as though you take very good care of him- all of his fins look nice and healthy.

I strongly doubt it was anything you did. I think Betta's are just very very poorly breed and have all kinds of issues that show up as they mature.
Thanks so much! it means a lot to hear that - and yes I could understand if this happened after I dropped the temperature to 24C, but it normally does sit at 26C and this seems to of come on over the past few days, just that now it's VERY obvious something isn't right.

He's my first betta, so it's been a bit of a learning experience! his fins are almost fully healed from a mishap he had when i first got him - I've been taking care of him as best as I can :'D

I hope it wasn't anything I did no I don't recall anything having changed over the past few days, I just started seeing less and less of him (he was otherwise totally normally when I DID see him) and yesterday he didn't show up at all - that's when I went looking for him and found him in the sorry state he's in currently.

I don't think theres much else I can do? I've asked in a few places but nobody seems to be able to offer any help which is alright, it'll just be a huge shame if he dies.

Thanks for your support <3

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom