Please help sexing my juvenile kribs!

danidorko

Hi All,

I've bought two kribs in my lfs. I wanted a male and a female but I think I got two females. As the bigger one is chasing around the smaller one I'm considering to return one of them to the store tomorrow.

Would you be so kind to confirm if I'm right and the two fish I have are both female? They are juveniles and I'm attaching two pics, one of each of them.

Thanks a lot!

Dani

Attachments

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
From the shape of the ventral fins, I would say you are correct, you have two females. Don't usually get such nice profiles of the pelvic/ventral fins, makes it so much easier to sex them!

OP
danidorko

danidorko

chromedome52 said:
From the shape of the ventral fins, I would say you are correct, you have two females. Don't usually get such nice profiles of the pelvic/ventral fins, makes it so much easier to sex them!
Thank you so much for your input!

I would like to exchange one of the females to a male. In case of a juvenile male the ventral fins would be the same pointed shape as I can see on the pics of adults? Not too many pics of juveniles I can see on the internet. Would like to be better prepared this time and make no mistake again. :)

Thanks again!

Mouska

Yes those are 100% both female Kribs.
The males I’ve had are thinner most of the time have a longer head and have a reddish tint around their head and gills with light purple and blue fins. The tail is much larger and wider than a females tail and has a point on them if they tighten their fins, when they expand their fins fully the point is less noticeable and looks more circular. The best way to tell the difference is the ventral, anal, and dorsal fin being pointed at the end and these fins are much larger on males than females. A harder way to tell is when the females are ready to breed the middle black bar fades away in the middle to show off their dark pink and purple belly while a males stripe is always present and is usually thicker, and when they are showing off their colors they develop thin vertical stripes connecting the bars to each other while making the area in between the bars a very strong white and the bars very black.
Was the oldest male.
AF5EBF50-1B34-41A4-978B-EDF94EC5E02C.png

The Younger male.
05883B15-D181-47B2-BC5F-B2DE4B3D944A.jpeg

Male left and female right. In this picture you can see the difference in the head better.
A5749261-2660-4077-9FDB-74E0F20D02D6.png

New Threads