Please help! Rosy tetra with what I think is pop eye.

1. L

LICfish Well Known Member Member

I'm new to this forum and sad to say that the first post is about a sick fish.

I have a 12 G Eclipse tank. I've had it for a few months now with 4 rosy tetras and 2 flaming dwarf gouramis. I recently added an otto to the tank.

Yesterday night I noticed that one of my rosy tetras had her eyes bulging out a bit. Upon further inspection, I also noticed that the area around the gills is somewhat red and it also looks a bit fatter. I currently don't have a quarantine tank so I've been giving them antibacterial fish food. I plan to get a hospital/quarantine tank tomorrow.

I would really appreciate any advice on what to do next. I also change water in my tank very often since the tank is not that old. At least twice a week.

The water is neutral with no nitrate or nitrite detected. The water is soft and I use Prime with every water change.

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!

I'm sorry your fish aren't feeling well.

What is your ammonia reading? Red Gills and pop eye are usually associated with poor water conditions.
    However, pop eye can also be bacterial.

Glad to hear that you're getting a quarantine tank. Medicating healthy fish really isn't a good idea. Medications can be hard on fish and it increases their resistance to meds.

3. OP
    OP
    L

Unfortunately, I don't have an ammonia reading because my tests ran out. Since it's just 1 fish I'm not sure if it's the water quality so I've placed it in a quarantine tank for now. I'm trying to feed it antibacterial fish food but it doesn't look like it's eating. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do.

4. OP
    OP
    L

Good news

The pop-eyes went away! :;banaman Can anyone please tell me how much longer I should monitor her before putting her back into the main tank?

Thank you for your previous reply and thank you again in advance.

5. OP
    OP
    L

Nooooo

My tetra just died. It was doing better. The pop-eyes were gone and it was swimming around just half an hour ago. I don't know what happened :(