Please help!! Quick question about swim bladder treatment

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Paicavi, Apr 8, 2010.

1. P

Paicavi Valued Member Member

:;fru I'm desperate to save my black sailfin Molly . I'm pretty sure he has swim bladder desease since I already lost 2 other males to it. I put 5ml of megafix in my 10 gallon and removed the filter. I also geve them crushed peas and he ate eagerly. My question is: the megafix bottle says not to change the water and treat for 7 days but I know swim bladder can be cause by poor water quality so, do I change water? My q tank is still not ready.
    My readings are ammonia less than 0.25 but not totally yellow, nitrites 0, nitrates around 5. Please tell me how to save him, thanx

2. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi, Pai. I know you were previously given advice about daily water changes, and not medicating (especially since you have fish that are not affected). Since you decided to add medication, I think it is up to you at this point to decide how you want to do this... get rid of the meds and just try to improve water quality, or try the meds and hope for the best.

I feel like I have read before that swim bladder is extremely difficult to treat, and usually results in fatality. Fasting the molly, feeding the peas, and keeping the water clean may work. The Megafix may work. You've just got to decide at this point which way to go.

I'm sorry your molly is suffering. We're rooting for him.

3. OP
    OP
    P

Thanks Meenu, I still can't decide!!!!! I don't think I know better. My qtank though seems to be almost ready, I'm missing a little bit of nitrates and the ammonia is down to 0.25. He h is in great spirits now, that's why I want fight for him.

4. Meenu

There are a lot of people on this website that don't use medications. I think it is because most fish illnesses are caused by poor water quality, and if the quality improves, so do the problems. Medications can be a temporary "fix" - if you don't solve the water issues, then disease and stress will continue.

Sometimes, medications can cause more problems than they solve. Most destroy the beneficial bacteria from the nitrogen cycle, and some can be strong and actually hurt the fish. But some work. You just have to research.

I'm just telling you this so you understand where the people here are coming from. I don't want you to think I am judging your decision.

5. OP
    OP
    P

Not at all Meenu , I apreciate it. I think I agree with you now and since it doesn't say anywhere that Magafix helps with swim bladder, I'm gonna stick to water changes. Do you think I should do more than one?

6. Meenu

I would do a couple of small-ish changes every day. Maybe 30% each time?

7. OP
    OP
    P

Will do that, thanx much

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice