Please Help, Platy Swimming Head Up & Tumbling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syl

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hello, I am new here and really need your advice, I have been having issues with one of my Platy fish for a few weeks now, he is swimming head up and tumbling in the water, He is still eating but I just don’t know what to.

I don’t know what details you need but happy to provide answers

OP
S

Syl

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
  • My tank is 87 uk litres, think that’s 22 us gallons
  • Does it have a filter? Yes I have a fluval 206 and a fluval u2
  • Does it have a heater? Yes
  • What is the water temperature? 23
  • What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) I have five Platy, 6 minnows and about 15 cherry shrimp

Maintenance
  • How often do you change the water? 25% weekly
  • How much of the water do you change? 25%
  • What do you use to treat your water? Prime
  • Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Yes always

Parameters
  • Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
  • What do you use to test the water? API liquid master kit
  • What are your parameters? We need the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 15
pH: 7.7

Feeding
  • How often do you feed your fish? Twice a day
  • How much do you feed your fish? small pinch of food
  • What brand of food do you feed your fish? I mix up the foods
  • Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? I feed frozen twice a week

Illness & Symptoms:
  • How long have you had this fish? About 7 months
  • How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Three weeks ago
  • In a few words, (more room for details below) what are the symptoms? Swimming verticall, head up and tumbling in the water
  • Have you started any treatment for the illness? I have already treated for both gram negative and gram positive bacteria
  • Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
  • How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Yes it is swimming very odd

Please explain your emergency in the best detail possible. As above post

Can anyone help, please

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
How long have you had your fish? When was the most recent addition?

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What other inhabitants are there and are there any other symptoms present in this fish or the others?

This sounds like a swim bladder issue to me. Have you tried fasting and feeding peas or daphnia?

OP
S

Syl

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello, thank you or getting back to me, I have the fish about 7/8 months, the rest of the fish are ok now, I did have what I think was flexibator so I treated with furan 2, however the fish was swimming like this before hand.

I have only added three minnows but this was back in the beginning of November, one of them does have an open red gill on one side but that’s it.

I did try the peas and the daphnia, I have seen him poop twice.

At the end of December I had a Platy start hiding at the bottom of the tank and he stopped eating and then died, there was no marks on his body, I was told it was an internal bacterical issue so treated with furan 2 as it covers both negative and positive bacteria, hope I am right about this as another Platy gills looks yellow, the treatment seems to have lessened this but not taking it away.

There is something very wrong and I don’t know what it is or what I do, I want to look after them and make them better, it is horrible watching them be sick, am I doing anything wrong here, is my fault

Please anything you can suggest would be brilliant

Oh my gh is 16 and my kh is 12 if that helps

Last edited by a moderator:

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Swimming difficulties in fish arise from several potential factors. I'm sure you have researched all those possibilities.
Intestinal bacterial infections usually kill quickly, and are nearly impossible to cure. An internal parasite infestation is a much slower death, and if the fish is still eating, Metroplex is one of the most recommended meds. If the fish isn't eating things usually don't end well. I doubt the swimming problem is due to constipation. The other factor you might not have considered is " Sometimes fish just die" despite meticulous tank maintenence, top notch food, ect. They age out, get bullied to death, poor breeding, ect. It sounds like you've touched all bases. Just some advice; up your WC's to 50% once a week. It's been my experience that the larger WC is the best preventative regarding disease. Doing so effectively reduces the nitrate that has dissolved in the water column. If you have a thick substrate, say 3 inches, there is really no need to gravel vac. BB will flourish in the susbstrate. Don't worry, things will eventually level out.

Reactions: Syl
OP
S

Syl

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you so much for answering me, I have metroplex and will try that as my last chance to try and save him.

I don’t have any focus but if I still soak some frozen food with it would it still maybe work?

I will for certain up my water changes

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 63 66.3%