Please Help! Out Of Solutions

YellowFish13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I got 2 carnival goldfish around 1 month ago.
They are currently in a cycled 20 gallon quarantine tank. After around 6 days one of the two began flashing, and the other began laying at the bottom. I treated with Prazi Pro for almost 2 weeks, and they returned to somewhat normal. Then one of the fish began developing red fins. The PraziPro seemed to take care of the fins, and I stopped dosing it about 1 week ago when they were both looking healthy. Now the red fins are coming back. I dosed with Paraguard today. Is that a good decision? I have no idea what the red is, but it is persistent. Paraguard is a pretty general treatment, right? I’m hoping it clears up some fin rot, and tackles whatever parasite is causing red fins. What do i do next? Keep dosing Paraguard? Dose another round of PraziPro? Any tips or experience will help, right now they are both looking pretty healthy, but I am scared the red fins are a sign of the parasite coming back.

FrostedFlakes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Can you give us the tanks parameters? How often do you do water changes? Is the tank cycled? Red fins could be hemorrhaging and that can result from poor water quality. With 2 fair fish in a 20 gallon you're going to have to do a lot of water changes. Can we see images? It's really best not to throw medication at fish. It can be really scary to see your fish looking weird and acting funny, but it's best to be calm about treatment approaches. Prazipro is mainly for fluke/internal parasite treatment. Paraguard is for ectoparasites. Do the fish appear a little milky at all?

YellowFish13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I missed a ton of info! I kind of forgot you don’t understand the situation!

I do a daily 25-30% water change, so my parameters are usually triple zeros (nitrite 0, nitrate 0, ammonia 0). This incredibly low reading is due to the almost constant fresh water. I did a ton of research before I started them on PraziPro a few weeks ago (I have another thread about PraziPro you can take a look at). Before starting, the orange goldfish was flashing. The black goldfish had a thick whitish film on it and clamped fins. Post-treatment the orange fish appears perfectly healthy. The black one has regained his shiny metallic color and no longer bottom sits. Today he still has a small case of fin rot and many missing scales from his previous flashing. I started dosing with Paraguard after a week with just fresh water, as a preventative measure against infection while the black goldfish grows back his scales (they advertise Paraguard as a medication and preventative for any bacterial/fungal/ectoparasite) . I am also hoping the Paraguard might help the red fins. For a long time I considered the red fins to be septicima, and the PraziPro did fix the red fins for a bit, but they are back. How do I keep the red fins gone? Should I just dose the Paraguard for a few days as a preventative measure, and then hope that the red fins go away on their own?

Once I can guarantee their complete healthiness I have a 110 gallon stock tank where they can grow old with a few buddies. Their permanent home is not a 20 gallon.

FrostedFlakes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If the fish had a whitish film on them, that could denote a protozoan skin infection and those are often responsible for red fins. If the fish are showing no symptoms anymore I wouldn't keep medicating. Are there only red fins left? Any film at all left on the fish? I don't often see prazi for those kinds of infections. My treatment of those is paraguard with salt baths. If there is no milkiness I would lay off the paraguard. If you want to promote wound healing I would recommend something like stressguard. I'd wait and see if the redness subsides with clean water and if it fails to do so you can consider treatment.

YellowFish13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The red fins and whitish film were completely gone after the 2 week PraziPro treatment. Now a week into no medication the red fins are coming back, but he is still looking shiny and healthy.

Will the one dose of Paraguard I added in today, before I stop the treatment tomorrow have any ill effects? The bacteria won’t build an immunity to one dose?

FrostedFlakes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No I don't think you'll have any ill effects with one more dose. I'm only saying maybe hold bad on meds just because the redness could go away on its own and we don't want to stress the fish. Just keep a very close eye on it and see what changes happen. Could you get any pictures?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom