Please Help needed quickly!

Gwenz
Ok, I came home from school today to find lots of little brown things in my 7.5gal with my guppie in. :-\ They seem to be on the glass and rocks and one seems to have attached itself to my guppie. He is swimming around darting quickly as if to try and get it off. I've no idea what to do! How do I help him?

All I know is that they werent there this morning, then they were all there this afternoon. I have to admit that I haven't done a water change recently due to having important exams at school but I will do one asap.

Was wondering is it worth moving him to the Q tank, so that I can do a thorough cleaning in the 7.5gal?

There is no filter in the Q tank, but I have a spare one and I could put filter media from my 15gal in there so it can be cycled. Is it worth doing this?

thanks

plz help asap.

Gwenz :'(

Angie
I am by no means a pro at this, but it sounds to me like worms. Here is something I got off here:

Anchor Worm or Lernaea - Symptoms: An ulcer develops where the worm attaches; secondary infections may also occur around that point.

So, I assume there is a medicine at the pet store to get rid of that. Like I said, I am a newbie at this, so someone with more experience can tell you better. If it was me, I would scoop all the things out, and do a water change and treat the whole tank. I know that people advise against 100% water changes, so I don't know about all that.

Sorry I couldnt be more help
Angie

By the way, when I did a search on here, I found an article from 10/06 where you had this same problem

What did you do then?

Angie

Gwenz
thanks. I don't know if I could scoop them out. they are tiny. Ill have to go to my lfs to find something to treat the tank. I was thinking of moving him incase more attached themselves to him :-\

thanks

Gwenz

By the way, when I did a search on here, I found an article from 10/06 where you had this same problem

What did you do then?

Angie

no they were different. I just did loads of water changes! these don't look like that. they are little brown things that crawl on the glass :-\

Gwenz

ok, so I couldn't move him to the Q-tank last night, so I just did a 50% water change and scrubbed the walls. I hope to do another water change today and clean the filter too. Also I'm going to try feeding him less.

Thanks again

Gwenz

armadillo
What's the shape of these things? Is it worm-like? What's their size?

COBettaCouple
Water changes and a med for external/internal parasites might be the best way to go without positive ID on the little buggers.

Gwenz
thanks. I don't know how soon ill be able to get the med tho. :-\ my parents don't understand why its needed and so i'd have to buy it myself and I don't have any money at the moment having just payed mum back for the new filter i've got.

What's the shape of these things? Is it worm-like? What's their size?

They a like little bugs more than like worms. They are really small.

Gwenz :-\

armadillo
They havne't seen them? You could gross them out by showing them the critters. For all you know, the fish could be hurt if they don't get the med.

COBettaCouple
I wish I could send you some.. maybe you should print the pic I sent you and put it up on the tank.. it could scare the little buggers to death!

Tazmiche
hi, also in uk....

have you managed to get the meds you need?

I have guppies, I may have some stuff you need to help?!

Gwenz
They havne't seen them? You could gross them out by showing them the critters. For all you know, the fish could be hurt if they don't get the med.

Oh, mum has seen them, but just said "oh that's weird...... just change the water" and walked out the room. :-\

I wish I could send you some.. maybe you should print the pic I sent you and put it up on the tank.. it could scare the little buggers to death!

Lol worth a try

hi, also in uk....

have you managed to get the meds you need?

I have guppies, I may have some stuff you need to help?!

No not yet, but I'm going tonight to this other shop to buy a book, and Pets @ home isn't to far from there so I'll just beg mum to take me there

Ok I have another question now. I think he has finrot too. :-\ Can I treat both things at the same time? Can I use Melafix for the finrot?

thanks.

Gwenz

P.S. - I put a new filter in the tank as the old one wasn't working properly and it seems to work much better.

COBettaCouple
Melafix does treat fin rot.

Gwenz
Thanks Dave! ;D

:'( Bruno isn't looking good. I've been giving him Melafix now for 2 days, and been doing many water changes over the last week and he seemed to be getting better slightly, because he was eating better. But this morning he's much worse. He's lying on the bottom hardly moving and not eating. When I went to the tank after I woke up he tried to swim towards the front of the tank, but couldn't. :-\ I don't know if he'll make it. :'(

He hasn't moved in 3 hours. :-\ I don't know if he's dead or not? What should I do? Should I put the net in or something and see? ??? :'(

Gwenz

armadillo
Try to gently prod him with the net?

Gwenz
:'( :'( :'( :'( He had died. :'( Now I have an empty tank. :-\ Should I change the water and clean the tank? How do I keep it cycled until I can get more fish?

thanks

Gwenz :'(

COBettaCouple
:'( RIP Bruno.. we're sorry he didn't make it, but you did all you could to take care of him and he had a good life there. you can keep the tank cycled by adding flakes every 12 hours or so.. and hopefully one of those holiday feeders would keep the tank cycled when you're on holiday.

armadillo
Oh nooo. I am sorry about your fish, Gwenz.

Gwenz
Thanks you two. It's ok about the holiday now, my mums friends is coming over to look after the fish. I'm going to clean the tank tonight. Will it be ok by tomorrow to put fish in? Or should I wait a bit?

COBettaCouple
Thanks you two. It's ok about the holiday now, my mums friends is coming over to look after the fish. I'm going to clean the tank tonight. Will it be ok by tomorrow to put fish in? Or should I wait a bit?

I think it is fine to add a fish in, Bruno wasn't contagious so there's no problem with that.

Gwenz
Thanks Dave. ;D I'm going to get 2 male gupies (or maybe 3 - not decided yet), then when I get back from holidays I'm going to get 2 otos as well.

COBettaCouple
Thanks Dave. ;D I'm going to get 2 male gupies (or maybe 3 - not decided yet), then when I get back from holidays I'm going to get 2 otos as well.

ok.. you can name one Dave and name the other one Dave and if you get a 3rd one, name him Dave too. and the otos.. name them Dave & Dave..

Gwenz
hehe. np! Why don't I call them Dave, David and Dai.  lol and then the ottos something else. 

hehe

armadillo

I think it is fine to add a fish in, Bruno wasn't contagious so there's no problem with that.

No problem, Gwenz. Sorry we couldnt' help save him.

You mentionned holidays, didn't you, though? Shoudln't you wait til your back to buy the new fish? I like to closely watch new fish to make sure there is no problem. Or maybe I'm confused and you're not going on holidays at all and I should just shut my cake?

COBettaCouple
hehe. np! Why don't I call them Dave, David and Dai. lol and then the ottos something else.

hehe

I think they should all be called dave.. then you'll have the coolest fish on the planet! ... yeah.. ! LOL

Gwenz
lol Dave.

armadillo - I am going on Holiday in 3 weeks time. So ill be able to keep an eye on them for the first 3 weeks and I have someone to come over and feed them while I'm away so I should be ok.

Gwenz

armadillo
Oh, I see. Don't you love getting new fish. Wish I could do it every day!

COBettaCouple
Oh, I see. Don't you love getting new fish. Wish I could do it every day!

I'll 2nd that emotion! I start to feel that urge if i'm near fish.. "buy us, buy us, buy us" they say..

armadillo
Yep, you've definitely a bad case of fishitis!

COBettaCouple
Yep, you've definitely a bad case of fishitis!

so does Gwen.. right Gwen?

Gwenz
yep. lol. Can't wait until saturday now. I'll get 3 new guppies. yay! then when I get back from holiday I'll get 2 ottos. ;D Can't wait.

Gwenz ;D

COBettaCouple
yep. lol. Can't wait until saturday now. I'll get 3 new guppies. yay! then when I get back from holiday I'll get 2 ottos. ;D Can't wait.

Gwenz ;D

lol.. yea, I know you just want to get back to chat with me.. yea.. LOL.. it's cool you have something after a holiday to look forward to.

Gwenz
yea, and its great now as well cause no more exams and no more school till september!  ;D Soooo, my fish will have all the attention (and you too dave  ).    ;D

Gwenz 

COBettaCouple
yea, and its great now as well cause no more exams and no more school till september! ;D Soooo, my fish will have all the attention (and you too dave ). ;D

Gwenz

that's always a great feeling.. done with school & exams!

Gwenz
yep. 3 new guppies will have a new home this afternoon.

Gwenz ;D

COBettaCouple
yep. 3 new guppies will have a new home this afternoon.

Gwenz ;D

well... we're waiting for pictures..

Gwenz
well, just finished acclimatising them. I will let them settle into the tank before getting pictures of them, but will get some eventualy. ;D

Just wrote about them here, maybe you could help answer the question I asked ther. :-\ :

Gwenz

Tazmiche
HI how are the new Gup's doing? Sorry to read about Bruno! I LOVE my male Gup's so cool and so tame,seem to like a tickle!!!

Hope all goes well, 2/3 otto's are my next buy! I have 3 in one tank already, soooooooo cute.

I NEED another tank to fill now!

Gwenz
lol. I'm getting ottos to go with the guppies too. ;D

The guppies are doing ok, but one keeps being nipped by one of the others. :-

Gwenz

COBettaCouple
I love otos.. I wish they were a little hardier, but they are funny little fish.

armadillo
Otos are cute, but a little too skittish for my liking. I like calm fish.

COBettaCouple
Otos are cute, but a little too skittish for my liking. I like calm fish.

well otos are timid, but they spend a lot of time stuck in place sucking up algae for you when they're not being playful.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Dimmy
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
Marlene327
  • Gwenz
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
wolfman21
  • Gwenz