Please help!!! Need urgent help with my Honey Gourami!!

jiorio1216

I got two honey gourami's three days ago in a 20 gallon high community tank with 5 zebra danios. Everything was going great until one of the gouramis today was swimming odd. It went downhill from there, he would flip and just could not swim properly. He was laying on his side and it really looks like he is dying. I took him out for a 10 minute epsom salt bath and then transferred him for another epsom salt bath for 5 minutes with less salt. He is now in a bucket of chlorinated water and is on his side, and looks dead. When I move him a little bit, he tries to swim...but just goes back to his side. All of the other fish are perfect and the water is great I just tested all my params. Is there anything I can do for the little guy...should I euthanize him? Keep him in the bucket with water changes for a few days? Anytime he tries to swim he flips and cannot retain control...what is there to do?

wrs2

That happened with me this week with a honey gourami I bought, but he died in the bag during acclimation. The other one died shortly after. That was my 4th/5th honey that died within a couple days of purchase. I don't know where you live, but I feel like the honey gourami stock, at least by me, has been awful. Not really much to add to your question. I would expect the fish will die shortly though,

jiorio1216

wrs2 said:
That happened with me this week with a honey gourami I bought, but he died in the bag during acclimation. The other one died shortly after. That was my 4th/5th honey that died within a couple days of purchase. I don't know where you live, but I feel like the honey gourami stock, at least by me, has been awful. Not really much to add to your question. I would expect the fish will die shortly though,
Aw man, yeah I am in NJ. I had to find a place that had them and traveled almost an hour for them. It is a shame because they are such a great fish, so peaceful. I am hoping this little guy hangs on. He seems to be doing great...I am going to try to find him a buddy soon. Sorry to hear about your Gourami's, heres to better luck.

Islandvic

Check out the Aqua Huna site. Their s&h is either $12 or $13, I forget. They are a large wholesale commercial breeder that also sells to public online. Cory w/ Aquarium Co-Op has a video tour of their facility on YouTube. Maybe check them out next time you have to drive an hour to get fish.

Gourami are hit or miss sometimes, I think it has to do with the quality of genetic strains, especially the dwarf variety.

For example I originally had 5 thick Lipped sunset Gourami 2 years ago, and 2 died unexpectedly within first few months. The other 3 have done well though.

wrs2

jiorio1216 said:
Aw man, yeah I am in NJ. I had to find a place that had them and traveled almost an hour for them. It is a shame because they are such a great fish, so peaceful. I am hoping this little guy hangs on. He seems to be doing great...I am going to try to find him a buddy soon. Sorry to hear about your Gourami's, heres to better luck.
I am in CT so it’s very possible that they are from the same stock unless they were from a private breeder. Good luck with yours!

Canacullus

Bad genes is becoming an issue these days.

kanzekatores

Do you mean by flipping kind of spinning? I had a problem with whirling disease that comes from live/frozen foods like bloodworms. The best bet is to euthanize or you could put them in a container and there’s a slight chance they’d recover but still have the parasite in them. This is the only thing like that I’ve dealt with. If they look like they’re suffering you should euthanize using Clove oil, and then vodka. This makes it painless.

Canacullus

Perhaps it is bloat?? Mine acted lethargic and clumsy while it was bloated/had dropsy.

jiorio1216

Thank you everyone for your answers. I put the little guy out of his misery last night. My other Honey gourami is doing great...does seem maybe a bit lonely in the tank with the danios and 6 panda cories I just added. He actually is hanging with the cories picking through the substrate...should I get another gourami? Little spooked with this happening.

Canacullus

Yah, they tend to be more social creatures. I have 9 in my 75 gallon tank, and they seem really happy. They have great color and personality. I would keep 3-4.

kanzekatores

They are quite social, yes. Mine did fine on it’s own but they might feel different in a community setup. Would you like more. They would do really great in a group. Let us know how it goes!

Dunk2

watermelon46 said:
I had a problem with whirling disease that comes from live/frozen foods like bloodworms.
Please share your source that suggests whirling disease comes from live/frozen foods.

And how are you certain it was whirling disease?

flyinGourami

watermelon46 said:
Do you mean by flipping kind of spinning? I had a problem with whirling disease that comes from live/frozen foods like bloodworms. The best bet is to euthanize or you could put them in a container and there’s a slight chance they’d recover but still have the parasite in them. This is the only thing like that I’ve dealt with. If they look like they’re suffering you should euthanize using Clove oil, and then vodka. This makes it painless.
I really cannot see how live or frozen foods would harm fish in that way. How can you be sure that frozen or live food caused the problem? As far as I know honey gouramis love frozen and live foods, the only issue I can see is live foods having parasites.
jiorio1216 I wish you luck!

Dunk2

watermelon46

Not sure if you missed my questions above (post #12)?

kanzekatores

Dunk2 said:
@watermelon46

Not sure if you missed my questions above (post #12)?
My apologies
Dunk2 said:
Please share your source that suggests whirling disease comes from live/frozen foods.

And how are you certain it was whirling disease?
It is thought to be carried by tubifex worms. It is a parasite that penetrates the head and spine of fish and interferes with balance processes. It is more common in salmon and trout, but can be in aquarium fish too. From others I've found that most don't have much experience with it and that it's not a very common problem but being the only thing I've experienced similar to that the op described, I thought I would share just incase. Back when my electric blue ram had got it I read it could be from the freeze-dried tubifex worms, because it uses such worms as a host, and stays until it finds a better place to reproduce like the inner ear of a fish, for example.

When this happened to my Ram, I did some research and found a really helpful website including the opinion of a professional. I think it's okay to post because it is just a general forum rather than exclusively a fish forum.
While this probably isn't what it is, it's something to look at and compare.

Dunk2

watermelon46 said:
My apologies

It is thought to be carried by tubifex worms. It is a parasite that penetrates the head and spine of fish and interferes with balance processes. It is more common in salmon and trout, but can be in aquarium fish too. From others I've found that most don't have much experience with it and that it's not a very common problem but being the only thing I've experienced similar to that the op described, I thought I would share just incase. Back when my electric blue ram had got it I read it could be from the freeze-dried tubifex worms, because it uses such worms as a host, and stays until it finds a better place to reproduce like the inner ear of a fish, for example.

When this happened to my Ram, I did some research and found a really helpful website including the opinion of a professional. I think it's okay to post because it is just a general forum rather than exclusively a fish forum.
While this probably isn't what it is, it's something to look at and compare.
I’m trying hard to understand, but I don’t.

In your original post, you suggested that whirling disease comes from live and/or frozen foods. In your most recent post, you said it could be from freeze dried food.

And while you acknowledge that whirling disease is uncommon (at least in aquarium fish), you never said exactly how you’re sure that’s what your fish died from.

kanzekatores

Dunk2 said:
I’m trying hard to understand, but I don’t.

In your original post, you suggested that whirling disease comes from live and/or frozen foods. In your most recent post, you said it could be from freeze dried food.

And while you acknowledge that whirling disease is uncommon (at least in aquarium fish), you never said exactly how you’re sure that’s what your fish died from.
I forgot it was only thought to be carried by the tubifex worm (not bloodworm). Freeze-dried, or in any form. After research I was pretty sure that my ram died from me feeding him freeze-dried tubifex worms.

Top Bottom