Please help my Canadian Panda!!

1. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Hi there! I am new to this forum and in need of some help. Let's get this out of the way first: 30 gallon freshwater tank, pH 7.5, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, temperature 26-27* celcius. Weekly 5 to 10 % water changes(i remove about 8 litres) The tank was set up at the end of august 2009, was done the nitrogen cycle about 4 weeks after, my first fish were 2 bronze cories and 6 white cloud minnows.( I initially had 2 comets in there to start the cycling, i know, bad to not fishless cycle but I just did what the fish store suggested), anyway I took them back to the store when my water tested okay.
    Since my first fish I have slowly added 2 platies, 2 swordtails, 1 panda cory, then later another panda, 2 honey gouramis and 1 more swordtail. One of the platies must have been pregnant because I also have a baby platy who is growing and doing very well. I am now at my fish limit for this tank. So far I have changed carbon once and rinsed the sponge very well (at different times) but no media change yet. Today 1 panda cory was lying on his side and can't swim straight, everyone else looks great. Help what do I do?:;dk

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi GoGreen welcome to FishLore :)

I'm sorry your panda isn't doing well. It's hard to say what's wrong at this point. Any other symptoms beside lying on his side? Bloated? Has he been eating?
    At this point, you might want to put him in a quarantine tank so he doesn't get picked on.
    Let's see if other members have any suggestions.

3. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the quick response, Lucy!
    His full range of symptoms are: lying on his side on the bottom, trying to be active and flip himself over every once in a while with no success. I was going to leave him in the main tank but a swordtail started to poke at him constantly so I took him out and put him in the little glass bowl I use to collect my water samples in. I set it on the top of the tank where it will stay warm and put a cozy around the bowl to keep out most light. Every hour or so I change a bit of water with new treated water so the ammonia doesn't get too high and to add oxygen to the water. I had tried feeding him a pea but he can't flip himself over to eat! A touch of aquarium salt (3 grains) I put in but can't put in more I know that corys are senstive to it. Lucky I am not at work today! Should I just put him back into the main tank if he is still alive at the days end? Poor little gaffer, I feel so bad! Do you think my other fish will succumb to this? I did a bit of a water change today, siphoned some stuff out of the gravel while I was at it. Thoughts?:confused:

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!! im sorry its under these circumstances tho :(

are you still using cycle ? it doesnt have the correct bacteria and will actually stop a tank from cycling properly....sounds like it could be a water issue :( what test kit are you using? have you been using salt in your main tank as well? cories are super sensitive to water issues and salt just stresses them out and doesnt allow them to be cories..it irritates them too much.....if you can find some prime, id do a few days of water changes just in case...and i would see if you can find a breeder net to hang him inside the warmer bigger tank but not let him loose in the tank...stressed or sick fish will be picked on too much ....i hope he gets better !!!!!!

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'd leave him in the bowl. It would be better if he had something warmer and larger.
    If you have a spare heater and filter or even an airstone and a clean, never seen soap or chemicals rubber made tote or kritter Keeper either would work as a Q tank or
    Cories don't do well with salt, it would be a good idea to change his water to get rid of the salt. Also I don't think you need to change the water every hour. Ammonia won't build up that fast.

:;tmnt Shawnie is typing faster than I am today. lol

6. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Wow the wealth of info I am getting is great! So, yes I am still using cycle every water change, just following the weekly dose suggestion on the bottle with my water changes, claims it is supposed to help maintain a strong bacteria colony and prevent fish loss! Not true? Also I do have salt in the main tank but only 1 tsp per 5 gallons instead of the suggested 1 Tbsp, my dealer said this was okay even for the cats. I do not have a bigger bowl or extra filter/heater, the only larger container I have are my 'fish water only' buckets for water changes. So I guess I will make up some dechlorinized water with no salt and change him into that, I am afraid the stress of all this action may just do him in. I won't change or refresh every hour then, how often do you think? And should I agitate the surface now and again for air transfer? Should I sterilize the net after all this is over?:eek:

7. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Whoops, sorry Shawnie I forgot to mention I am using an API test kit!

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

The reason you have to add the product Cycle with every water change is beause it's not aquatic. It dies off quickly and doesn't allow the tank to properly cycle.
    Once you have properly cycled tank you don't have to add products that "claim to help maintain a strong bacteria colony"

I wonder if he's feeling the effects of the salt in the tank.
    Have you checked the salinity?

9. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Lucy-no I haven't checked the salinity, don't have a test kit for that or is there another way to check? If it would be the salt have my other cats just adapted to it? They've been in there longer. Update on little Punkt(german for polka dot)He is just lyng on his back now, undisturbed in the bowl but not improving, I am sure that I will loose him!

10. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:( I'm really sorry. I wish I knew what to do for him.
    The salinity was just a thought since no one else is looking ill and your water parameters are good. Perhaps it's effected him more than the others for whatever reason.

11. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Thank you for your help, I know it is hard to diagnose a problem online. Should I do another water change of my tank tomorrow, not adding and cycle or salt, just dechlorinator? I doubt the little guy will make it through the night. Very sad-he was such an amusing and active little fish! Any other ideas or suggestions you have I am all ears!

12. click Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry your cory is not feeling well. Out of curiosity, what is your nitrAte reading?

13. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

hello Ontario and thanks for your concern.I don't have a test kit for nitrate, just nitrite, ammonia and pH, which were 0, 0, and 7.5 this morning and that was before I did a 'just in case' water change. Was told that if I test for those three things that it is enough. Not true? Oh my poor little guy, he is hardly responding now at all, the end is near....:'(

14. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello GoGreen and Welcome to Fish Lore. Sorry to hear your fish isn't feeling up to par. Best wishes!
    Ken

15. click Well Known Member Member

There are cases where tap water has some nitrates. But considering your other fish seem to be fine, nitrate poisoning might be a long shot. Could be internal parasites, salinity issues, could be a lot of other things. I know how hard it is to see your little fishy sick, I have one guppy who is very sick and I'm afraid he might not make it. But I know I did my best to give him a good life and I'm learning from this experience to give even a better life to the remaining fish.

Did you know you can take your water (tap or tank) to be tested to your local pet store for free? If you're curious about tap water nitrates, just take a sample and they'll do it for you. Same goes for your tank water, they usually do a whole range of aquarium tests (I think salinity included...but not sure, I never asked).

16. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Well, I am about to head out for the day's work, just thought I would check in to see if anyone had any more ideas as to why Punkt got sick. Click, that's a good idea to take a sample of tap water to my dealer for a test, they did test my water for me while my tank was cycling and then I got some of my own test supplies. Never thought to check the nitrate level of the tap water I use, I will do that. Yes I am using this as a learning experience, looking in to setting up a hospital tank. Any suggestions as to how big and what to put in it would be appreciated. Just want to thank everyone again for the input, the response was so fast, what a great site this! Sadly, my little panda passed away last night, all I could do was keep him warm and undisturbed until the end.:'(His little panda friend is alone again, the 2 bronze cats accept him but they don't hang out much. Should I try again? I only have room for 2 1/2 inches more fish, I was thinking about getting a blue guppy for some different colour, but I will put the happiness of my current residents first!

17. click Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry the little guy passed away. At least he is not suffering anymore. :;group

Both guppies and corries like to be in groups (5-6). If you buy one guppy he will be lonely. I have have a group of guppies and they are so silly together. I never see them to hang with the other fish, so I assume one single guppy might not be very happy. But that's my opinion, maybe others think different.

Also, I have 6 corries but out of them the pandas are my favs. The others sit in a corner and don't move the whole day, my 2 pandas are all over the tank, busy.