Please help my butterfly koi may die!!!!

1. lostsoul22714 Initiate Member

Please help me i have a butterfly koi that suddenly started acting really off. It normally always eats in fact it over eats. It is generally very active but now it just sits there floating in one spot. It wont eat or even acknowledge me. Can anyone please tell me what could be wrong and how can i save him

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Hello lostsoul22714, can you tell us a bit more about your setup? What size pond is your koi in? What do you normally feed it? Do you have any water test results?

3. lostsoul22714 Initiate Member

He's currently in a 10g till i can get his upgrade. Currently running two three stage filters. Test results were stable. His best friends are a young oscar, and a plec. I had just added another butterfly when all broke loose. The new koi didn't make it. My older koi is now eating but still not active. No signs of infection, growths, lesions, ect...

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

blakeugan: Possibly, but given the size that most of these fish are sold at in the pet stores it is entirely possible that someone could have been ill advised enough to put such a group together.
    lostsoul22714, unless you can upgrade to 2 enormous tanks or 1 enormous tank and a pond, the best thing you can do for your fish and the only way you're going to save them is to return them to the pet store or rehome them to someone with the setup to keep these monster fish, and they will become monsters, if they don't die from stunting or toxic water.

5. Fishoholic23 Member Member

Wait a second, your keeping all these fish in a 10 gallon! Rehome them or get a pond and a 60 gallon immediately

6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I think bigger than a 60 gallon is needed, the Pleco alone (if it's a Common) will need I think 150 gallons. 60 would be ok for the Oscar alone.

The koi need the ponds, partly because of size and partly because they have different temperature requirements.

7. Fishoholic23 Member Member

Hmm, I forgot about the pleco. So just do what Aquaphobia says!