Please Help My Betta?

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I sink mine. The first couple of days I have to put something on it, like a decoration but after that it stays down.

RobinWhiskers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
His fins are really really bad, look here:
Should I keep him on the paraguard and indian almond leaf, it's only day three tomorrow that he will be on paraguard. Also I think he may of ate some of the leaf because there is a rather large part that isn't on it, I'm not sure if it was already like that or not. :/ Is it safe for fish consumption?

IDK if it's body rot but it is super bad. IDK if the paraguard will be helpful right now either. Would fungus clear or aquarium salt be more effective?

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Paraguard is NOT an antibiotic. So I think you need an antibiotic to combat this.

@CindiL what is your advice. I think the fins look way worse.

I think you need Jungle Fungus Cure and Kanaplex both to be used at the same time. Since there has been such a dramatic change. Then possibly some aquarium salt thrown in. But I will leave the final recommendations to Cindi. I just know that it went from pinholes to shredded in just a couple of days. Right after you stopped the Kanaplex. Makes me think it may not have been the right course of treatment.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm only back on today. What did you end up doing @RobinWhiskers ?

RobinWhiskers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
His 2.5 gallon tank is now a hospital tank. Every 2 days I change most of the water, I keep the water at 80 degrees, and all I have in the tank is the water lowered halfway, his heater, betta hammock, thermometer, and indian almond leaves. Every 24 hours I put in a 1/2 ml dose of Paraguard and tomorrow I'm getting API Aquarium Salt. What's the best, safest way to do salt baths for fin rot?

Scuba's fins look a tad bit better I think. I mean, he's generally inactive, breathes heavily, and his gills look a little inflamed. I've been advised to give him enough food twice a day (e.g. four bloodworms twice a day) so that food should help fight it off. I noticed he pooped today (YAY!) which is good because I never really see his poop.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Are you against treating him with nitrofurazone? You can find it in Jungle Fungus Tabs (at Walmart) or Tetra Fungus Guard or API Furan-2.

I'll just link you to a good site that goes over how to do a salt bath. I'd also put a tsp per gallon in his tank right now.
Salt Baths

RobinWhiskers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm not against using it, I can't say I've heard of it before. Here are some questions I have about the salt bath. I hope I'll be able to do one tomorrow when I get it, I don't think I have a container that's a couple gallons that would work. I have some questions:

1. Could I maybe use the 2.5 gallon bucket I currently have his old gravel in (I'll dump it obviously) that I always siphon his water into? Also, I read I should have a more diluted smaller container ready, how would that work?

2. Is 1 tsp per gallon (I'd fill the container up 1 gallon) an ideal amount?

3. How do I move him from container to container and then into his tank? Usually I'd use his cup, but then I'd be getting saltwater in it and then into his tank. I don't want to use my hand (that's pretty risky!) and I think a net would be harmful for a fish with a weak body with fin rot!

4. This can be done every 24 hours for 10 days, right? Do I acclimate at any time, and if so, when?

5. I plan on doing the bath for exactly 5 minutes a day, how does that sound?

Also, I don't get this part: Get a second container with 1/4 salted water like your 1 gallon tank, and the rest (3/4) with tank water (this is the "reviving station").

I don't know what I'll use as the reviving station...

KarenSoCal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
@RobinWhiskers, I know this will sound harsh, but...for every suggestion offered to you, you either counter with an alternative, argue about it, or just plain don't/won't do it. You asked for help 12 days ago, and Scuba could probably be cured by now except for your inaction. CindiL is an expert on fish diseases...follow her advice. Take it from Nike...JUST DO IT!
Did you ever get an accurate nitrate reading??

RobinWhiskers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have done many of the suggestions and have talked with some of the best betta people on the internet from my instagram account. The nitrates in the tank are fine, and tomorrow I'm doing the salt bath. I know you guys are experienced and care greatly for my fish!

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I agree with @KarenSoCal. I think that you need to stick to 1 treatment. The problem is that you have switched too soon. Most treatments need 10-14 days to work completely. Even if the back of the package says to only use it for 4 days, the treatment will need to be repeated 2-3 more times. Just like with humans on antibiotics. You would expect to have to take them for 10-14 days. Same thing with fish.

To answer your questions.

1- you can use whatever you want for the Epsom salt water bath. As long as it is food safe and clean. A bucket will be just fine.

2. 1 tsp of AQ salt per gallon is fine. Be sure the salt is completely dissolved before adding to the tank. The granules can burn the fish if it comes into direct contact. I take out a large cup of tank water, dissolve the one tsp per gallon into the glass. Then add about 1/4 of the glass into the tank once per hour. I will have to add more tank water into the cup at times to be sure the salt is completely dissolved. But as long as it is done over several hours it is fine.

3. Use a net. There are times when a cup isn't appropriate. It will not hurt him more. Not sure why you think it would. Plenty of people use nets with their fish, and don't have any issues.

4. Are you adding AQ salt to the tank? Or are you talking about acclimating to the Epsom salt bath?

5. If you are doing the Epsom salt bath, you need to soak longer than 5 minutes. Just watch him. If he isn't tolerating it very well, then of course pull him out sooner. I would be shooting for 15 minutes at least.

RobinWhiskers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm not using epsom salt, but API aquarium salt.

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
RobinWhiskers said:
I'm not using epsom salt, but API aquarium salt.
Ok so then just add it to the main tank. Don't use it as a bath. You will replace the salt with each water change. It will work better this way. I have had to use salt in my tank several times in the last 2 months. They tolerate it well. And it improves fin health dramatically. I wouldn't use it as a bath. That is unnecessary work.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
How is he doing? What are you using for treatment?
If he has not improved please purchase the nitrofurazone I mentioned earlier to treat him. Like I said, it is actually a very common antibiotic found in many fish medicines: API Furan-2, Tetra Fungus Guard, Jungle Fungus Clear etc. (ignore the names those are just for marketing).
Do you have a current picture of him?

RobinWhiskers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
There is one on his instagram, which I linked to in a previous post.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
RobinWhiskers said:
There is one on his instagram, which I linked to in a previous post.
How do you feel he is doing? The problem with those pics on instagram is I can't zoom in on them to get a really close up look. Posting one of them here would be more helpful.
Choose "upload a file" in the editor window and your an upload it straight from your pc or phone. I do find if I do it from my iPhone I first have to use the photocrop app to make it small enough.

Did you get him the medicine?

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Looking at the newest IG photo in his salt bath, I think he looks even worse than before. He is skinny and his fins look awful. I'm not sure he is going to survive this honestly.

I agree that I can't see the photos well enough for a good evaluation, but compared to just a few days ago I think he is even worse now.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've seen bettas come back from far worse but it does get to a point of no return.....

@RobinWhiskers if he's still treatable the medicine I recommended (back on June 3rd) and continue to recommend is one that we've had people use over and over again for these types of problems that need an antibiotic. I hope you picked some up yesterday.

Let us know how he's doing and post one of your pictures here so we can get a closer look of him.

RobinWhiskers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
He's still on paraguard, and his fins look faded and white looking. Since the salt baths, he has been more active and less stressed though.

He still is easily stressed though, has inflamed gills and breathes heavy. Since the salt baths he has been very active for him.

RobinWhiskers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A week ago I ended Scuba's salt baths (he got them daily for 10 days) but I started today because his fins have not improved. He is definitely active and alert and doesn't lie down all the time, and he is nearly as blue as he used to be, so those are good signs. He swims around eagerly in the salt baths and has never passed out, but he does get stress stripes from me moving him. I was going to do Kanaplex again but I was told that right now medications could be more harmful than good to him. So I'm keeping the water clean and warm and I'll be doing the salt baths. I keep an Indian Almond Leaf in his tank too.

If anyone has any natural remedies I could try, that would be great...especially because I have to go to Florida with my family for at least a week in 16 days and that makes me nervous. :nailbiting:

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wonder if by moving him back and forth from his tank to the salt bath it is causing unnecessary stress? You could just add the AQ salt in a lower concentration to his main tank and it would work well also. Then you wouldn't need to worry about all that moving around.

Have you been giving him high protein foods to help with healing? Has anyone suggested soaking his food in garlic? To help boost the immune system?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom