Please help, my betta is sick and I don’t know what is wrong

Cowgirlgypsy

Help, I don’t know what is wrong with my Betta. I have had him for about three weeks. I got him from petco because I felt bad for him and thought I could help. His water was dirty and his fins were crimped. He did fine after a couple of days being placed in his tank, but only for about three days. He then went back to crimped fins. He is still eating but having difficulty swimming and he sits behind the filter mostly. I had his water tested recently and it was fine. It appears that he is swollen on one side back towards his tail.

Attachments

• 22BC8202-CDE4-4A69-AE64-A78936B697D8.jpeg
    22BC8202-CDE4-4A69-AE64-A78936B697D8.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 596A6B3D-0EDF-4A80-B78E-E7E511261087.jpeg
    596A6B3D-0EDF-4A80-B78E-E7E511261087.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 34
  • CE778775-44BD-41EA-A937-56D4B97C69CC.jpeg
    CE778775-44BD-41EA-A937-56D4B97C69CC.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 34

Cue

Are his scales raised at all? If so it’s probably dropsy, which is often fatal and can be treated with salt baths.

Otherwise looks like a tumor, which are untreatable. He may eventually die from it. Keep some clove oil handy, and learn how to properly administer it (tons of stuff on google) in the case that he’s in serious discomfort and needs to be euthanized.

And a tumor is 100% not your fault. Bettas have been so linebred and inbred their genetics are screwed and unfortunately that means they get cancer pretty often. If you want to avoid this in the future, try buying from a hobby breeder. They usually have genetically healthier fish.

Dunk2

Help, I don’t know what is wrong with my Betta. I have had him for about three weeks. I got him from petco because I felt bad for him and thought I could help. His water was dirty and his fins were crimped. He did fine after a couple of days being placed in his tank, but only for about three days. He then went back to crimped fins. He is still eating but having difficulty swimming and he sits behind the filter mostly. I had his water tested recently and it was fine. It appears that he is swollen on one side back towards his tail.
Sorry, I‘m not seeing the swelling you mention.

How long has your tank been running and how often are you doing water changes? Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle?

Cowgirlgypsy

Hi. He is not pineconing, at least not yet. I have had a couple of betta with dropsy before and they looked nothing like him. Everything I look up references a swollen abdomen. I don’t know how to try to treat because I can’t tell what it might be.
Sorry, I‘m not seeing the swelling you mention.

How long has your tank been running and how often are you doing water changes? Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle?
Hi. I know, it’s been difficult to try to get good pictures. The tank is only a 2.5 gallon but it has been set up for quite a while. I do weekly partial water changes. Sometimes with smaller water changes in between. I have only had him for about 3 weeks and he didn’t look great at Petco. I just want to try to treat him but I don’t know what to treat him for.

Noroomforshoe

Continue to keep the water clean.
Consider adding a tablespoon or 2 of aquarium salt. Add more maybe half as much, every 7-12 water changes.
Keep the temperature stable at 80 degrees.
offer the best food you can find, live daphnia, live fruit flies. "I cant even find a store that sells them, but , new life spectra betta food, frozen blood worms, pre soaked dried daphnia,
There is not much you can do, but thanks for trying!

Dunk2

Hi. He is not pineconing, at least not yet. I have had a couple of betta with dropsy before and they looked nothing like him. Everything I look up references a swollen abdomen. I don’t know how to try to treat because I can’t tell what it might be.

Hi. I know, it’s been difficult to try to get good pictures. The tank is only a 2.5 gallon but it has been set up for quite a while. I do weekly partial water changes. Sometimes with smaller water changes in between. I have only had him for about 3 weeks and he didn’t look great at Petco. I just want to try to treat him but I don’t know what to treat him for.

What was in the tank before the betta and when?

I’d suggest you get the API Master Test kit so you can test your own water. Any time a fish is acting “off”, I’d start with checking water parameters.

Until you get your own test kit, I’d also suggest water changes every couple days.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ValkyrieLips
  • Question
Replies
Views
pagoda
Replies
Views
saikou3577
Replies