Please help me with this betta!

ShellsB00

Hey everyone! I’m some-what new to this fish hobby. I grew up with fish tanks & helped my mom maintenance ours growing up and loved it! Just recently back in June we got our 55 gallon and have just exploded since! We’ve fallen so in love with this hobby! Anyways, we ended up taking in 2 bettas from a friend who’s mom has bought them for her children as a gift! Of course, they were in glass bowls with children under 10 caring for them like they frequently fall into :( We knew nothing about these fish, just that they desperately needed a new home. We get them, they both have awful fin damage from horrible water conditions, one has healed up beautifully and is doing wonderfully!
However, the other one is not doing well at all. He seems to be doing better than he was, but is still not great by any means. He is so, so skinny. I have yet to see him eat. I’ve offered betta floating balls, flakes, and sinking shrimp pellets for when he’s on the bottom of the tank. When he first got to us, he was in FREEZING COLD, I’m talking 60° water! He was all curled up and could barely even move :( it was so sad! We’ve put him in a cycled 10 gallon with sand (gravel in the pictures are from his first day - we’ve since switched to sand!) and artificial plants (they’re all soft!), along with a sponge filter for minimal water movement. We don’t have a heater in it but the water stays around 75 (we plan to get new heaters this weekend for both of the new bettas). I’ve done a few water changes in the tank because I’ve added a little bit of aquarium salt. I haven’t seen any parasites so I don’t think that’s it but it truthfully wouldn’t surprise me one bit of that’s what it is! He hangs vertically in the tank now, but for the first 5-6 days that we had him in the new 10 gallon, he was on the bottom of the tank. I want to save this little guy SO bad! My heart breaks from him honestly! This hobby has totally engulfed me! Any advice would be nice!

Attachments

• 5048DF99-0132-475B-808B-E2BABA93E466.jpeg
    5048DF99-0132-475B-808B-E2BABA93E466.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 2084F054-0700-496A-AF98-D452870473E6.jpeg
    2084F054-0700-496A-AF98-D452870473E6.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 6

Silverleaf209

Do you mind filling out the emergence template ?
Tank
What is the water volume of the tank?
How long has the tank been running?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What is the water temperature?
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
How much of the water do you change?
What do you use to treat your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
What do you use to test the water?
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
How much do you feed your fish?
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Do you feed frozen?
Do you feed freeze-dried foods?

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
(Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

Include pictures
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

BigManAquatics

His midsection kind of looks bloated in that second picture. Is it possible to geta better picture of him and that area specifically?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Wiss1
  • Question
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Replies
Views
Blueberrybetta
  • Question