Please help me with my water mineral content...

1. C

CanKor New Member Member

So... hmm... I have 7 neon tetras in a 5.5 gallon tank. This is my water parameter before I added in my neon tetras.

Ions
    Calcium: 40.89ppm
    Copper: 0.14ppm
    Iron: 0ppm
    Potassium: 1.89ppm
    Magnesium: 10.53
    Manganese: 0.07ppm
    Sodium: 15.36ppm
    Lead: 0 ppm
    Zinc: 0.02 ppm
    Sillicon: 0.69ppm
    Aluminum: 0.07ppm

Fluorine: 0.51ppm
    Chlorine: 12.11ppm
    Nitrate: 1.21ppm
    Sulfate: 24.44ppm

The result is extremely accurate since I used inductive coupled plasma which I got to access at my university at one of my lab lol One of the most (chemical engineering)

Now... my concern is how do I deal with that nitrate and stuff? Would that amount of nitrate be ok? I think it's a trace amount anyways... Also, I have recently added 4 dried almond leaves and 1 malaysian driftwood. I am aiming a blackwater habitat. Would the pH level stay consistant with a water change?

Thank you :)

2. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi, welcome to the forum :)

Nice piece of equipment for testing :D
    I wouldn't be worried about 1.2ppm of Nitrate, that's pretty low to be honest. Many FW setups run around 10-20ppm nitrate.

I would be concerned a little about the chlorine content though. Did you use a water conditioner/dechlorinator? I'd expect it to be 0.

The rest looks pretty standard.

:;du Thread moved to Aquarium Water forum.

3. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! A 5.5 gallon is not large enough for a school of neons, a 10 is the minimum recommended size. Water changes reduce the nitrate.

What are your ammonia/nitrite readings? Is the tank cycled?

4. OP
    OP
    C

CanKor New Member Member

Oops sorry about that yah the chlorine is supposed to be zero. So no worries with nitrates haha
    I do keep my neons in very careful and good environment so I think it will be alright. Yah the tank is cycled. I cycled with one of those ATM's colony bottle. The question I wanna ask though is that would
    changing the water change my pH? I have recnetly added dired almond leaves in my tank. I am scared that if I do PWC, the pH would flunctuate.

5. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

Good evening, CanKor -

I absolutely agree with Tigress - 8-10 Neons and a 10-20 Gallon Tank as a bare minimum. I have 10 in a 29 Gallon and they can be semi-aggressive and obtain a lot of energy. They need the room to swim and move around.

If you continue to keep them in such a small space, they can become more aggressive (along the line in time) and they will not be as content. They may not exactly show it, but in time things may pop up to show that as the case.

It's ultimately your choice. I Just thought I would note that, though.

Good luck!

Alex :)

6. OP
    OP
    C

CanKor New Member Member

Ohh Ok thanks :) Since my fish is really small (about 0.5inch) I will think about it more :)

7. J

John14 Valued Member Member

I would recommend staying under 20 ppm on nitrates and you should should be fine. I've kept fish happily in a 25 gallon tank with a 50 ppm nitrate level but most people seem to say the lower the better, so for a tank that size keeping it under 5 ppm would probably be ideal as my fish had probably adapted to their water conditions and if I had added any other fish to the tank with the 50 ppm nitrate reading they most likely wouldn't have made it. I say 5 ppm because of the size of your tank, also the Neons being as small as they are shouldn't bump up the nitrates much, as far as pH and chlorine your local pet store will have chemicals that will help you achieve a healthy reading of both. Hope this helps. Good luck.

8. ryanr

Respectfully, the size of the tank is irrelevant. In a planted tank, a minimum of 10ppm NO3 is recommended.

Again, respectfully. A dechlorinator yes, but pH chemicals are not advised. Fish will adapt to most all pH levels. Consistency (as the OP is seeking) is the most important factor.

9. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with both of these.

Also your sulfate levels slightly bother me as well. That im not quite sure of cause or solution at the moment. Then again most people dont have access to those fun toys to test water. Usually I only get to play with photo spectrophotometers lol. I wouldnt mind having access to the inductive plasma!

10. J

John14 Valued Member Member

Thank you, this is what I had simply been told, good to know, so pH up and pH down chemicals are pretty much a waste of money and may even have a negative impact?

11. ryanr

Yep. Many of us have bottles of the stuff that, since joining Fishlore, have never been used again, if they were ever used :)

12. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Yup the stuff is not at all needed for proper fish keeping. There are many better ways IF needed to manage these things.

To me a good tank only really needs to have a water conditioner added if chlorine and or ammonia is present other than that just fertalizers if you have plants.

13. B

Bettalover99 Valued Member Member

I would say a 15 gallon would be a good upgrade, you seem new to the fish world I wouldn't recommend going any larger because you can get over welmed . I wouldn't even recommend one neon in a 5,5 gallon because neons are darty fish that love exercise . 10 gallon is the minimum I have ever seen these kept in . Be careful 7 seems like alot maybe down grade to 4 or 5 if you plan on keeping this tank size

14. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Yes, frequent water changes will help to maintain your pH levels. I would suggest weekly water changes at the very least. 50% should do well. Nothing beats fresh water for your fish.

Although the Indian Almond Leaves and Driftwood may lower pH a bit, depending on how much is used, with frequent water changes, you may never see a drop in pH. So you have a stable pH which is best for your fish. Most fish for the home aquarium can adapt to the pH we have to offer right from the tap. (chlorine removed)

Agreed, using chemicals to alter your pH can be risky and even fatal. These products can be unstable and lead to a pH crash resulting in fish loss. A sudden drop in pH can be fatal. I've never had any issues increasing pH naturally, it's lowering pH too quickly is when you may have issues.

starhanging.gif If you would please, complete your Aquarium Profile Information. This information will aid others with any responses they may have to your questions.

To access the Profile, click on Forum Actions in the bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box, click on Edit Profile. Be sure to hit SAVE when you are done.

Thanks!

Ken