Please help me with my fair fish Question 

ranftkaren

Reaction score
My little sister won this fish at the fair. Could someone please tell me what kind of fish this is? How big of a tank it needs? What kind of filtration system does it need? What kind of tank does this fish need and is there a way I can tell it’s gender? We are pretty clueless on this and just want it to have the best life possible and any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Looks to me like a common/ feeder goldfish. They get to be about 8-12 inches long, so you will need a vary large tank. Probably upwards of 50 gallons, and you will have to cycle the tank first. Because you will be doing a fish in cycle I recommend you get a bacteria starter of some sort, and use seachem prime conditioner. It will decrease negative effects of ammonia for up to 48 hours, which will give you a bit of wiggle room. Get a test kit. Do not use strips because they are inaccurate. Do not get any other fish until this fish quarantined. You can simply quarantine him in the tank since he is an only fish. Fair fish tend to be exposed to a ton of other sick fish and, unfortunately, majority are weak fish that the petstore that provides them did not care for.

Since you already have the fish, you’ll have to do a fish in cycle. You absolutely cannot keep him in that bag. He will die from ammonia poisoning. Make sure to have a good filter for your tank. I recommend fluval, topfin, and marine land. Try to buy a filter advertised for a tank bigger than what you are buying. Over filtrating will benefit a tank, is long as it is not excessive. When buying a tank remember larger tanks are always more stable and less prone to parameter spikes. Goldfish are also cold water so no need for heater, but you will need a thermometer. Get a quality fish food. Bug bites is the best, but not all stores have it. If you can’t find bug bites omega one, spectrum life, and National Geographic are also good. Read the ingredients and avoid foods with fillers. These foods will not support your fish and may cause digestive issues

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ranftkaren said:
My little sister won this fish at the fair. Could someone please tell me what kind of fish this is? How big of a tank it needs? What kind of filtration system does it need? What kind of tank does this fish need and is there a way I can tell it’s gender? We are pretty clueless on this and just want it to have the best life possible and any help would be greatly appreciated :)
A 29-30 gallon, long rather than tall, tank is plenty big enough for a common goldfish. Get a good filter for it, some gravel, a good appropriately sized siphon for water changes and a good quality goldfish food (omega one is a good brand). You'll also need a water test kit that tests pH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. I use the API Freshwater Master test kit but API test strips that measure those parameters would be okay to start with. Also, get a bottle of Seachem Prime to remove chlorine and chloramines from your tap water. Seachem Prime also protects fish in new tanks from ammonia and nitrites produced by their poop when it decomposes so it serves two purposes in a new tank. K? Here's some stuff for you and your sister to read about 'cycling' a tank, the nitrogen cycle, equipment you need. We can help you through the whole process. Glad you came here for information! Your goldfish can live long enough to see your sister graduate from college (20+years) if she takes good care of him!
Fishy Stuff to read:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/read-first-freshwater-beginner-important-topics.14296/Get him out of that bag ASAP though. He can suffocate in a sealed bag.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I keep 12" Clown Loaches and nobody would advocate putting them in anything less than 150 gallons.

In my opinion these Goldfish belong in a suitable pond, not an aquarium.

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Redshark1 said:
I keep 12" Clown Loaches and nobody would advocate putting them in anything less than 150 gallons.

Yes, the most ideal set up for this fish would be a goldfish pond, and these fish are so tolerant of outdoor elements they’ve actually become an invasive species.

ranftkaren how is he doing so far?

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Redshark1 said:

I'd LOVE to see all your 12 inch clown loach(es)! I had clowns for 9 years and my biggest maxed out at 8 inches (they were killed in a tank accident).
A single goldfish doesn't need 55 gallons OR a pond. A single clown loach doesn't need 55 gallons either. A 30 gallon with a larger than standard footprint would be big enough. But you wouldn't keep a single clown loach. So a schoal would need a bigger tank.
A 30 gallon tank, for a single common goldfish, for a beginner, is more than adequate. That beginner, ranftkaren, may decide, when that fish reaches 6-7 inches long, that a bigger tank would be better. But 30 is a big enough grow out tank for now.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Goldfish are capable of growing to 18" and reaching a weight of 10 pounds.

Its not ethical to stunt them in an aquarium.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Redshark1 said:
Goldfish are capable of growing to 18" and reaching a weight of 10 pounds.

Its not ethical to stunt them in an aquarium.
PM me with a photo of your giant loaches, I love clowns! The ones in your profile look about the length mine was, but quite a bit fatter.

ranftkaren

Reaction score
He’s in a 30 gallon tank until I can get him a larger one. I treated the water with the kits from the pet store. How does this set up look? Any tips or advice?

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A bit more cover would be good, for now he’ll be adjusting. Plants are always great but difficult with goldfish since they eat just about anything. You can try some plants with tough waxy leaves such as Anubias. You could also do fast growers such as anarchis, duck weed, and hornwort

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Looking good. Do you plan to upgrade him?

ranftkaren

Reaction score
Yes. I’m trying to find an aquarium that’s at least 75 gallons on Craigslist so he has some room to grow.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ranftkaren said:
He’s in a 30 gallon tank until I can get him a larger one. I treated the water with the kits from the pet store. How does this set up look? Any tips or advice?
It looks great! You'll need a test kit, Prime, and a method for water changes. Did the kit come with a siphon? In the next couple weeks you'll need to be doing 25-50% water changes to keep ammonia/nitrite levels low.

ranftkaren

Reaction score
Crimson_687 said:
A bit more cover would be good, for now he’ll be adjusting. Plants are always great but difficult with goldfish since they eat just about anything. You can try some plants with tough waxy leaves such as Anubias. You could also do fast growers such as anarchis, duck weed, and hornwort
I’ll definitely get him some plants to put in there too. Is there anything I should know about adding plants to an aquarium?

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thats great. 75 gallons is the bare minimum for goldies. Heads up, try to get the longest tank you have.Will ensure best growth.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Momgoose56 said:
PM me with a photo of your giant loaches, I love clowns! The ones in your profile look about the length mine was, but quite a bit fatter.
Photos in the sticky in the Clown section.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ranftkaren said:
I’ll definitely get him some plants to put in there too. Is there anything I should know about adding plants to an aquarium?
Goldfish eat plants. Duckweed can clog filters and can really get out of hand. Hornwort sheds needles (leaves) like crazy, it needs lots of light and does best just floating on top. As Crimson_687 said, tough leafed plants like Anubias and Java fern might be your best choice until you see how the goldfish does with them.

ranftkaren

Reaction score
FinalFins said:
Thats great. 75 gallons is the bare minimum for goldies. Heads up, try to get the longest tank you have.Will ensure best growth.

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ranftkaren said:
Welcome to Fishlore! I think you've put a lot of time and energy into the little carnival fish and he's lucky that he has you looking out for him. :) Yes, he will probably need a bigger tank, but you have a little wiggle room for now while you wait for a larger tank that will fit in your budget. I would find the largest tank you can afford (or maybe even use a stock water trough from Tractor Supply for something bigger and make an indoor pond out of it). It would be nice if it was large enough for him to have another goldfish friend, as they are very social and like the company of other goldfish. I wouldn't put him with any fancy tailed goldfish as he would outcompete it for food, since he is able to swim much better/faster.

As to decor, one thing I got for my goldfish aquarium was this: Marineland Bamboo . It's 3 ft. long so I actually cut it off near the surface of the water and used a plant weight to make another plant out of the part I cut off! :) I used anubias (live plants) in the tank as well, but ended up moving them as they kept getting diatoms on them.

ranftkaren

Reaction score
Momgoose56 said:
Goldfish eat plants. Duckweed can clog filters and can really get out of hand. Hornwort sheds needles (leaves) like crazy, it needs lots of light and does best just floating on top. As Crimson_687 said, tough leafed plants like Anubias and Java fern might be your best choice until you see how the goldfish does with them.
Thanks. I’ll order some of those on amazon

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom