PLEASE HELP ME! whats wrong with my Gar?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by AngelFishLuv1, Mar 25, 2010.

1. A

AngelFishLuv1 New Member Member

several weeks ago my Marbled Gar broke his nose on the side of my tank. figured it was time for an upgrade in tank size. after treating him with melafix incase of infection, everybody went into a 36 gallon from a 11. big difference. everybody seemed happy.all water levels in check, and temp fine. when i turned on the light one day a few minutes later i noticed my gar floating upside down really close to the heater. i reached in and moved him away. he was stunned for a while with no appetite. it almost looked like he got burned, but there was red on the tip of his nose. i started treating this new tank with melafix and he seemed to get better. today the same thing happened, but it looks like he toasted his whole side of his body. i moved him into quarantine and treated with melafix again. whats wrong with him, why does he keep doing this? i dont know what to do, or if he'll even make it after getting burned

2. C

Charlemagne Valued Member Member

Hi, and welcome to Fish Lore! Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your gar :( I don't know anything about gars, but from what I hear, melafix is not good to use. I'm not sure what to do though . . . .

3. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore AngelFishLuv1.. Sorry i know nothing about Gar fish, but i wish you luck finding the answer you need.

4. OP
    OP
    A

thanks. i dunno either. since in quar. he's flipping upside down and unable to stay upright. i have a really bad feelin he's not going to make it. im trying everything tho. before the first time it looked like he got burned. he was pale and looked like his scales were flaking, and also the red on his nose. everybody else in the tank is fine. does anybody know of anything it might be, or maybe a good broad spectrum medication?

5. OP
    OP
    A

well, i was hoping i had time to get some responses.. but unfortunately Owen the Gar is in a better place. im so bummed out right now

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice