Please help me sex my Firemouth!

1. bluesky2111 Member Member

Got this guy for 3 months since juvenile. He/she is now almost the same size at an adult molly, but the red belly hasn't showed up yet. I was wondering if that's common, or my Firemouth is hybrid. Also I was wondering if it's a male or female.... Thanks!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

It appears to be a female to me. I could be wrong though. It's kind of hard to tell.

3. Skyy2112 Member Member

I dont see any color on the belly yet. But it appears to be a female from the blue speckle/fins.

What is the orange w/ black cichlid?

4. bluesky2111 Member Member

Thank you! :)

You mean the one with the black stripes on the eyes? That's the German Blue Ram.

5. Chuck Wheat Member Member

I really apologize for not being able to contribute to this thread other than to say that title is NSFW! hahaha I'm sorry.

6. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

That Firemouth is still too young to sex. The red belly should come in as it matures a bit more, another 4-6 months I think. Firemouths are also one of the more difficult species to sex even when mature, as females can have long filaments on the fins the same as males. About the only certain way to sex them is when they are about ready to spawn, then the breeding tubes come down.