Please Help Me Save My Betta Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by heyitsoli, Apr 17, 2018.

1. heyitsoli

heyitsoli New Member Member

I’ve had a betta fish in a 10 gallon tank since October.
    The tank is cycled, ammonia and other toxic things are at 0. The tank also has 5 cardinal tetras, which never bothered the betta.
    My betta is REALLY lethargic, and his fins are in pretty bad shape, and i just saw a piece of fin flowing through the tank. I’ve been panicking the whole day and im really lost. Do i add salt? How much? Do i raise the temp? It’s currently at 25 degrees. He was fine and then in a matter of 2 days he wasn’t.

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

Could you post a picture of what your seeing. I wouldn't add salt to the aquarium either since i find that bettas have a low tolerbility to it even though certain websites say to use it. Only at a last resort would i do a salt dip where you dip the fish in saltwater for 3 minutes, but nothing more. But, i can't tell you anything until we see the fish. You also shouldn't have 5 cardnials in your 10 gallon. they need at least 20 gallons for the schooling tetra species.

3. OP
    OP
    heyitsoli

This is the best picture I could get of him. He’s resting under the filter so I plugged it out since he was kind of getting pulled close to it. When I came home i saw him under the driftwood and picked it up and he darted across the tank in about 7 different moves, took a breath of air from the surface then remained down. He can swim in a straight line. He’s also lost his appetite, but he did want to eat last night.

Attached Files:

4. D

He has fin rot. Begin dosing with a herbal medication. You don't need salt. I would also add in some indian almond leaves if you have them which is an antifungal. You can also add garlic to his food which will boost his immune system.

5. OP
    OP
    heyitsoli

What exactly do you mean by herbal medication? I can’t get almond leaves where I live. And he’s completely refusing any type of food.

6. D

API Melafix works well in my opinion. Get creative on the food. Maybe soak the food in some garlic juice.

7. A. Rozhin

A. Rozhin Valued Member Member

The very best (VERY best) treatment for fin rot is great water quality. I'm talking about 50 percent or more water changes per day, for awhile. This saved my boy, after several other cures failed (including antibiotics from a vet).

8. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

Try some Repashy Gel food. He might like that! Here is the Repashy Food Shop. 

9. mattgirl

mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

How often are you doing water changes? How often do you vacuum the gravel?

Most Betta problems can be fixed with pristine water. If the gravel isn't clean and his fins drag over it, problems such as you are seeing can happen.

10. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

Absolutely do NOT use melafix, the tea tree oil in it will suffocate the Betta because of their labyrinth organ. I agree with 50% water changes.

11. Velma

Velma Well Known Member Member

Water changes are your best bet, but it honestly doesn’t look like just fin rot to me. It looks like he or the other fish have been nipping at his fins, probably causing an infection inducing the fin rot. This is why betta fish should not have (fish) tank mates in anything less than 20 gallons.

12. A. Rozhin

A. Rozhin Valued Member Member

Or, could be plastic plants or decorations. You make a good point that there is fin damage and fin rot, and not always the same thing. There is a lot of damage that can occur that has nothing to do with rot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice