Please Help Me Save My 10 Year Old Goldfish-red Gills

  • Thread starter

Jeana

New Member
Messages
7
Reaction score
7
Points
13
My goldfish has bright red gills with thin white lines inside along with a white lump or absess. They are also very swollen. She also has blood vessel steaks in all of her fins. She doesn't have any sores anywhere on her body and doesn't have access mucus or slimecoat. She is no longer eating and she stas at the bottom most of the time. The water has tested perfect every time since this started. At first she was sometimes swimming around really fast and jumping out of the water so I thought she had gill flukes. I treated her for flukes and an antibiotic. She's not any better or worse. I used paraguard first with no improvement. Then used API General Cure which has praziquantel and metronidazole together. Still no improvement. Then I used potassium permanganate following Seachems Kanaplex which is Kanamycin. Still no improvement. I am so discouraged. I did give her a break in between treatments cuz I was afraid of over medicating. It's been going on for 2 months now. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. I'm desperate at this point.
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,095
Reaction score
3,481
Points
448
Experience
4 years
What are your exact ammonia and nitrite readings and what test kit do you use? Any chance you can post a picture? Also, I haven't had experience with Gill flukes but it definitely sounds like them, despite the treatment. The flashing around the tank points towards some type of parasite, but prazi normally takes care of that. I would definitely check the ammonia reading first. What type of goldfish, and are there any tank mates? What's the temperature at? Do you use carbon in your filters?
 

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
2,521
Points
288
Experience
2 years
I'm afraid that your goldfish may be dying from age, as ten is about the lifespan of a tank goldfish.
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,095
Reaction score
3,481
Points
448
Experience
4 years
Not necessarily, and especially because symptoms are showing I wouldn't bet on old age. The fin reddening may be septicima, but I'm more willing to bet on a ammonia/nitrite/nitrate problem
 
  • Thread starter

Jeana

New Member
Messages
7
Reaction score
7
Points
13
Ammonia and nitrates are zero. I've been doing 25% water changes every other day. I read they can live to 35 years old. She's always been a very happy healthy goldfish. She was only an inch when I first got her and now she's over a foot long. She is in a tank alone. She use to have a sister that died suddenly years ago and there use to be a pleco with her. I had to separate them tho cuz the pleco grew larger than her and decided to start sucking on her while she slept. He put a hole in her tail fin. Once I removed him, she healed up really fast with a week of melafix. That happened last August. I tried uploading pictures but I'm not sure where they went. I'm new and not sure yet what I'm doing. One thing I forgot to say, after every treatment she seemed to be getting a little better, then was right back to sitting at the bottom. Also I raised her water temp to 76 cuz I read it helps. It use to be 70. I also removed the carbon, have kept the lights out, and covered most of the tank with a blanket. She peaks out every once and awhile. When I check on her she ties to be happy to see me. It breaks my heart.
 

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Messages
15,860
Reaction score
11,243
Points
748
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm guessing this is a common gold fish ? What size tank is it in? Instead of doing 25% try doing closer to 60-70% He will definitely appreciate the fresh water.
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,095
Reaction score
3,481
Points
448
Experience
4 years
I agree, try doing one large water change and then up then to 30-50% every other day. It's a bit more work, but it can work wonders. Also, if you click "upload a file" next to post reply, you can upload pictures that should appear under the buttons and will be attached to the post after ''post reply" is clicked. Sounds like a common goldfish, technically the tank is small, but since she's ten I vote to skip that part for now.
 
  • Thread starter

Jeana

New Member
Messages
7
Reaction score
7
Points
13
Rtessy said:
I agree, try doing one large water change and then up then to 30-50% every other day. It's a bit more work, but it can work wonders. Also, if you click "upload a file" next to post reply, you can upload pictures that should appear under the buttons and will be attached to the post after ''post reply" is clicked. Sounds like a common goldfish, technically the tank is small, but since she's ten I vote to skip that part for now.
I did exactly that and the picture didn't upload. I did manage to upload one to my media. I'll try again.
On top of 25% water changes every other day, I do about 60-70% water change every 5-6 days. Since she's not eating and barely pooping, it has been very clean. I will step up the % and start doing 70% every other day and see what happens. I will do anything. I've been putting a couple pees in there every day and homemde antibiotic food made with kanamycin, brine shrimp, omega one veggie rounds, and her favorite thing, shrimp pellets. I never see her eat but she still poops so she must be eating a little. It's green and thin. Sometimes there's bubbles in it. She lays next to her air stones alot which is really smart but maybe she's swallowing air. I forgot one other thing, when I first realized something was wrong and she was flashing, I used aquarium salt before any medication and it almost killed her. She started losing her buoyancy, her skin turned pink, and her stomach was bloated. It was possibly dropsy. I changed out about 80% of water as fast as I could, put her in this homemade hammock I made so she could get extra oxygen. I also added ebsom salt to relieve her bloat. She swam out of the hammock within 2 hours. In the morning I did another water change. I did it slowly since the ph had probably gone up from the ebsom salt. She had pooped all night and the bloat was gone.
20180507_180337.jpg
20180507_180553.jpg
20180507_180337.jpg
20180507_180553.jpg
20180308_160734.jpg
20180214_101751.jpg
Yay! It finally let me upload pictures!
 
  • Thread starter

Jeana

New Member
Messages
7
Reaction score
7
Points
13
I can't ever make the tank cute cuz she moves everything around while looking for food. She always has. Sometimes she makes alot of noise. It's funny
 
  • Thread starter

Jeana

New Member
Messages
7
Reaction score
7
Points
13
I'm not sure why some pictures posted twice. Weird
 

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,913
Reaction score
7,386
Points
598
Experience
Just started
Jeana said:
Ammonia and nitrates are zero. I've been doing 25% water changes every other day. I read they can live to 35 years old. She's always been a very happy healthy goldfish. She was only an inch when I first got her and now she's over a foot long. She is in a tank alone. She use to have a sister that died suddenly years ago and there use to be a pleco with her. I had to separate them tho cuz the pleco grew larger than her and decided to start sucking on her while she slept. He put a hole in her tail fin. Once I removed him, she healed up really fast with a week of melafix. That happened last August. I tried uploading pictures but I'm not sure where they went. I'm new and not sure yet what I'm doing. One thing I forgot to say, after every treatment she seemed to be getting a little better, then was right back to sitting at the bottom. Also I raised her water temp to 76 cuz I read it helps. It use to be 70. I also removed the carbon, have kept the lights out, and covered most of the tank with a blanket. She peaks out every once and awhile. When I check on her she ties to be happy to see me. It breaks my heart.
It’s very rare for even Common (or Hibuna) goldfish to reach that age. Honestly, 10-15 yrs is a more realistic possibility. Fancies live even shorter lives—about 5-8 yrs. This is because all goldfish are heavily inbred, unless you happen to get the wild variety called the Funa or Gibel Carp. I know it doesn’t answer your question, but 10 yrs. is still quite an accomplishment when I consoder how many goldfish even reach pass the 2 or 3 yrs. mark. Whatever the issue is, hopefully it gets resolved.
 

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Messages
15,860
Reaction score
11,243
Points
748
Experience
More than 10 years
Agree with above. This is not a common its a fantail. It sounds like internal parasites. At his advanced age, I'm not sure it will handle medication very well.
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,095
Reaction score
3,481
Points
448
Experience
4 years
Gypsy13 do you have an idea on this? The descriptions are pretty good, and honestly I can't tell about the gills from the pictures just because I don't see gills a lot on mine. Also, the veins in the fins look more like spider veins in humans than septicima or ammonia streaking.
 

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,636
Reaction score
3,091
Points
298
Experience
More than 10 years
Unfortunately ten years in an aquarium is about right for a fantail. What makes this harder is the possibility of damaging kidneys or liver already beginning to fail with all the meds at his age.
But. Question. What test kit do you use?
 

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,913
Reaction score
7,386
Points
598
Experience
Just started
It’s actually a Sarasa, but still agree that it’s not as hardy as a Common.
 

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,636
Reaction score
3,091
Points
298
Experience
More than 10 years
scarface said:
It’s actually a Sarasa, but still agree that it’s not as hardy as a Common.
Is it a veil tale sarassa?
 

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
2,521
Points
288
Experience
2 years

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,636
Reaction score
3,091
Points
298
Experience
More than 10 years
Discus-Tang said:
I believe it is.
Thank you. My veiltale is 17”. She’s five. Veiltales don’t live as long generally as the other sarassas but still up to twenty years in a clean pond. Aquarium living would most likely shorten its life some but there must be something besides old age going on here. Unless it was kept in too small a tank while vital organs were developing. Do you see anything in the gills themselves other than the red?
 
  • Thread starter

Jeana

New Member
Messages
7
Reaction score
7
Points
13
I'm sorry I haven't replied for awhile. I found out she has bacterial gill disease and also a internal bacterial infection caused by parasites. The parasites are gone. She has been on large doses of kanamycin, metronidazole, furanazole which I didn't know you could do. She is doing much better. It's crazy how strong she is! I'm very happy. Also, a common can live to 35 years old. Thanks everyone for your comments!
 

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Messages
15,860
Reaction score
11,243
Points
748
Experience
More than 10 years
Jeana said:
I'm sorry I haven't replied for awhile. I found out she has bacterial gill disease and also a internal bacterial infection caused by parasites. The parasites are gone. She has been on large doses of kanamycin, metronidazole, furanazole which I didn't know you could do. She is doing much better. It's crazy how strong she is! I'm very happy. Also, a common can live to 35 years old. Thanks everyone for your comments!
Glad she is doing better.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom