Please Help Me! Possible Dropsy And Popeye In My Oranda Goldfish!

Liz♡Gold

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So, yesterday evening I noticed the area of my oranda's eyes beginning to get swollen. It wasn't too bad and honestly I thought perhaps I was just overthinking things or just noticing what had always been there. I did notice that he wasn't as "peppy" as he usually is, but again, I just brushed this off as being an off day. He was still responsive, eager to eat, and swimming around the tank after all.

Then, this afternoon when I got off of work I noticed he was quite swollen and the swelling around his eyes had gotten worse. He is slightly (and I mean very slightly) pineconing, which is really worrying me.

Resized_20180515_173728_5774.jpeg
Resized_20180515_174059_1773.jpeg
Resized_20180515_173730_5695.jpeg

In the last picture you can see just how swollen his right eye is. His pineconing is very slight and hard to see in the pictures, but it is there.

In all honesty he is very off. He usually is very ecstatic to see me and is constantly begging for food. He is a pretty friendly fish with huge personality. However, now he just seems pretty uncomfortable. He is still active and swimming around in search for food, and even ate half of a pea. This might be me just being in denial.

I know with dropsy the swelling and bloating of the body is a very serious issue. I'm trying to be hopeful in saving him because I like him a lot. I've never dealt with illness in my tank before and in all honesty I have no idea where to start with this. Any tips and information will be appreciated.

Now, since I know many will inquire about my readings, they are as follows:

Nitrite: 0ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm

I do weekly water changes between 60 and 70 percent. They are on a high quality pellet (Hikari) and are fed that in the mornings with Dandy Oranda's SuperGold in the evenings.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. I would appreciate any help or feedback.

jack22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your fish. hope he'll make a full recovery.

This probably isn't directly related to your problem, but I noticed your tank sits directly in front of a window. Even with blinds and AC (which may even be off during vacations and work hours), the water temperature may get too warm. I'm wondering if long-term, too-warm water temperature (i.e. 78+ degrees F) causes goldfish health problems?

Liz♡Gold

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you for your response, jack22.

I'm wondering that as well. So far his tank has been at a stable 76 degrees which is not too far off. I don't have room (or the funds) for a chiller.

Right now I noticed that a short, thin strand of feces is sticking to him. I'm wondering if constipation could also be a culprit, which is why I fed him a pea. However, this doesn't solve why his eyes are so swollen. Could constipation cause the swelling of his eyes?

jack22 said:
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your fish. hope he'll make a full recovery.

This probably isn't directly related to your problem, but I noticed your tank sits directly in front of a window. Even with blinds and AC (which may even be off during vacations and work hours), the water temperature may get too warm. I'm wondering if long-term, too-warm water temperature (i.e. 78+ degrees F) causes goldfish health problems?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom