Please help me pick out a snail

• Thread starter andy305mia
  • Start date

andy305mia

Well Known
Hello, I'd like to add a snail to my 30 gallon tank GBR tank. I keep it at 84 degrees so it would have to be ok with those temps. I would prefer it not lay eggs or reproduce and have a taste for diatoms. I had a BN pleco but it died, I've never kept snails so I'd like to try. I read Nerites would be good but even a single female can lay eggs and I don't want that. Thoughts? Thanks!

Derek2408

I got 2 mystery snails today. I also have a gbr tank. Looks like from what I’ve read mystery snails tolerate a higher temp than nerrites so I went with the MS. 1 day in , everything seems fine. Just worried about my plants is all

Lakenvelderin

Looks like most snails are okay at those temps. Nerites are probably okay, and the eggs should not hatch in freshwater.

JettsPapa

Fishlore VIP
Derek2408 said:
I got 2 mystery snails today..... Just worried about my plants is all
I had 3 of them in my 40 gallon tank, and I never had trouble with that. They'd eat dead plant matter but I never saw then eating any that was green.

andy305mia

Well Known
Lakenvelderin said:
Looks like most snails are okay at those temps. Nerites are probably okay, and the eggs should not hatch in freshwater.
The thing is I don't want to deal with any eggs

Derek2408

Lakenvelderin said:
Looks like most snails are okay at those temps except mystery snails. Nerites are probably okay, and the eggs should not hatch in freshwater.
JettsPapa said:
I had 3 of them in my 40 gallon tank, and I never had trouble with that. They'd eat dead plant matter but I never saw then eating any that was green.
Glad to hear that

CoryBoi

Well Known
andy305mia said:
The thing is I don't want to deal with any eggs
No such snail exists my friend

andy305mia

Well Known
Nevermind, I have an angelfish and I hear they have an affinity for snail. I think I'll try otos. Thanks!

Top Bottom