Please help me. My betta may be sick- no pet stores open..city is under lockdown.

Tali4989

Reaction score
Please help! I'm a new fish owner and I'm 99.9% sure that my betta is sick because his fins are rotting! :'( I got him a little over a month ago and his fins were so lush and gorgeous when I got him but now they look so crippled and ripped. He also spends a lot of his time at the top of the tank. I have no idea what to do or why it's happening. I'm still learning how to take care of him. The problem is that I'm in New York and my city is under lockdown due to COVID19. No pet stores are open and Amazon is taking a month to deliver (they're not doing two day shipping right now). ANYTHING I try to order online is taking weeks to arrive. I ordered a five gallon tank for him on Amazon but it won't be here for another few weeks. He is in a 1.5 gallon tank right now with a filter and a heater. I've also ordered 9 in 1 aquarium test strips (tests pH, nitrate, nitrite, etc) but that won't arrive for a few weeks. I've also ordered indian almond leaf but that won't arrive for a few weeks either!!! I only have fish conditioner right now. I use Poland Spring water for his tank and change 1-2 cups of his tank water every day or at least every other day. I have no idea what to do. Until those things arrive in the mail, I need an immediate solution. I'm so scared he's suffering. Please help me with this. :(

Attachments

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A 1.5 gallon tank is too small for most any fish.

Your profile says you’re not familiar with the nitrogen cycle, so I’d guess your tank isn’t cycled. Have you tested the water parameters at all?

Also, why are you using spring water in your tank?

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just noticed that you said you ordered pH test strips. More importantly, you’ll need to test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

I‘d recommend the API master test kit.

OP
T

Tali4989

Reaction score
Dunk2 said:
A 1.5 gallon tank is too small for most any fish.

Your profile says you’re not familiar with the nitrogen cycle, so I’d guess your tank isn’t cycled. Have you tested the water parameters at all?

Also, why are you using spring water in your tank?
When I first got him, I used filtered tap water and it almost killed him. I did some research and since them started using Poland Spring. The tap water here is weird. I'm not sure what other water to use. I haven't tested the water parameters.. I have ordered the things to test but they are arriving so slowly because COVID has paused the country's flow of things. :(

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Tali4989 said:
When I first got him, I used filtered tap water and it almost killed him. I did some research and since them started using Poland Spring. The tap water here is weird. I'm not sure what other water to use. I haven't tested the water parameters.. I have ordered the things to test but they are arriving so slowly because COVID has paused the country's flow of things. :(
See my post above about the test strips you ordered. And please read this.

Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

In order to help you, you’ll need to be more specific. Why is your tap water weird and why did it almost kill your fish?

What water conditioner are you using?

OP
T

Tali4989

Reaction score
Dunk2 said:
See my post above about the test strips you ordered. And please read this.

Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

In order to help you, you’ll need to be more specific. Why is your tap water weird and why did it almost kill your fish?

What water conditioner are you using?
I just know when I moved here it tasted "off" so I just stopped using it without a filter. I remember when I used filtered tap water for his tank he was showing very clear early signs of ammonia poisoning. Zoo Med Betta H2O Aquarium Water Conditioner is the one I am using.

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What water conditioner/dechlorinator are you using?

Spring water shouldn’t be necessary and isn’t going to eliminate or reduce the risk of ammonia poisoning. Only consistent testing (did you see my earlier comment and suggestion?) and water changes will do that.

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Here‘s all my suggestions. . .
1. Get a bigger tank and the API master test kit.
2. Learn about the nitrogen cycle and work to get your tank fully cycled.
3. Use a product like Seachem Prime to dechlorinate your water and protect your fish until your tank is fully cycled.
4. Test and change the water to keep the combined level of ammonia and nitrites below 1 ppm while your tank cycles.
5. Once your tank is cycled, keep up consistent water changes (at least weekly).

OP
T

Tali4989

Reaction score
Dunk2 said:

Spring water shouldn’t be necessary and isn’t going to eliminate or reduce the risk of ammonia poisoning. Only consistent testing (did you see my earlier comment and suggestion?) and water changes will do that.
I'm using Zoo Med Betta H2O Aquarium Water Conditioner. The link you sent me is actually very helpful, thank you. The only problem is that I can't test the water until my strips arrive (in a few weeks). Should I just do nothing in the meantime? :(

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dunk2 said:

Many places have two water that is no Good for use in the aquarium, that’s why spring water is used.
I can see how the water In NYC is ****, it’s one of the most polluted cities in America.
(bad)

to the op: if you have the resources (spring water) to do 50%water changes every other day, then do that. Your betta most likely has fin rot because of poor water quality, by doing big water changes frequently, the water won’t have much of a chance to foul.

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Luckily this is a disease you don’t need medication for! I see that you ordered him a 5 gallon, and that’s awesome, he’ll definitely enjoy the upgrade! The best thing to help with fin rot is just lots of fresh, clean water. Do daily or every other day 50% water changes and you should start to see some improvement :)

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CoryFan said:
Many places have two water that is no Good for use in the aquarium, that’s why spring water is used.
I can see how the water In NYC is ****, it’s one of the most polluted cities in America.
(bad)

to the op: if you have the resources (spring water) to do 50%water changes every other day, then do that. Your betta most likely has fin rot because of poor water quality, by doing big water changes frequently, the water won’t have much of a chance to foul.
The OP didn’t say he was from NYC nor did he say anything about water quality other than it is “weird”.

OP
T

Tali4989

Reaction score
Dunk2 said:
The OP didn’t say he was from NYC nor did he say anything about water quality other than it is “weird”.
yes, i'm from new york and the reason I say the water is "weird" is because I don't know how else to describe it haha it just tastes not good.

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dunk2 said:
sorry, he said NY not NYC.
he said the water was causing his fish to behave poorly. So I assume by ”wierd” he means poor, with unhealthy substances to fish.

OP
T

Tali4989

Reaction score
CoryFan said:
he said the water was causing his fish to behave poorly. So I assume by ”wierd” he means poor, with unhealthy substances to fish.
I'm a she* haha but i'm in new york city, yes. the tap water is horrible and since we are under a strict lockdown I can't even run to petco to get my betta anything. :|

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CoryFan said:
And we agree that his fish could have been behaving poorly because his tank likely isn’t cycled? I’m just not convinced this is a tap water issue given all the other issues.

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tali4989 said:
I'm a she* haha but i'm in new york city, yes. the tap water is horrible and since we are under a strict lockdown I can't even run to petco to get my betta anything. :|
Sorry, yes I was assuming the tap water was very poor quality, I guess I was right about nyc!

OP
T

Tali4989

Reaction score
Dunk2 said:
And we agree that his fish could have been behaving poorly because his tank likely isn’t cycled? I’m just not convinced this is a tap water issue given all the other issues.
since i'm not using tap water, I don't think it's a tap water issue. It may be a non-cycled tank along with his tank being too small. but I can't do anything about that right now until amazon delivers my test strips and the 5 gallon tank that I ordered. :arghh:

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Tali4989 said:
Welcome to Fishlore “she”! As was previously said, I think the best you can do for your fish at this point is consistent water changes.

Best of luck!

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Tali4989 said:
since i'm not using tap water, I don't think it's a tap water issue. It may be a non-cycled tank along with his tank being too small. but I can't do anything about that right now until amazon delivers my test strips and the 5 gallon tank that I ordered. :arghh:
Sure you can. . . Water changes!

New Threads