Please Help Me Identify Whether Or Not These Neons Have Neon-tetra-disease!

Ethannn

Reaction score
I bought these Neon Tetras a couple hours ago at PetSmart and after finding out about the disease, I became very skeptical about releasing these guys into my 40 gallon in case I endanger my 10 cherry barbs. I also remember seeing a dead fish in the PetSmart tank, which makes me even more skeptical. Do you guys think its fine? Or should I refund them tomorrow?
IMG_0428[1].JPG
IMG_0434[1].JPG

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi welcome to FishLore!
Why do you think they have neon tetra disease? Their color looks faded in the bottom picture but it's very likely from the stress from being netting, bagged and transported.

In my opinion, it would be a good idea to quarantine any new fish for at least for several weeks anyway.You wouldn't wat to expose your existing stock to any underlying illness.

Ethannn

Reaction score
Hey Lucy! Thanks for the welcome!
I know it isn't very responsible of me, but I don't have a quarantine tank where I can keep them for that amount of time. I am only eighteen which limits my funds greatly. =(

Moving on to why I am skeptical about these fish. After hearing that the Neon Tetra Disease can be communicated when these fish consume dead bodies, I suddenly had a flashback of a dead tetra in the Petsmart Aquarium I bought them from. Other than that, I don't see any immediate symptoms of the disease. Perhaps I am being too paranoid.

As of now, I am thinking about releasing them into the little floating divider tank I have and see their conditions tomorrow? Do you think this is the optimal solution to this issue?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The one in the right corner definitely isn't allright. Looks like the neon specific columnaris-strain. If so, your other fish won't be in danger. Personally I'd bring them back as fast as possible.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The one in the right corner definitely isn't allright. Looks like the neon specific columnaris-strain. If so, your other fish won't be in danger. Personally I'd bring them back as fast as possible.
You've got a better eye than I do. I don't see a fish in the right corner. lol Are you talking about the second picture?
What specifically are you seeing?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First pic, fish on the right Lucy. I see white edges on the fins and possible on the body (that could be the pic btw)
You've got a better eye than I do. I don't see a fish in the right corner. lol Are you talking about the second picture?
What specifically are you seeing?

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I see it too its got an upside down reflection above it.

I would never buy fish from a tank with dead fish.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I also think I see some white stuff, as well as a ragged tail and possibly a bent spine on the fish at the top right of the first pic. It could be the angle I suppose, but if there is whitish stuff and/or a bent spine in any of these fish then that is indeed a cause for concern.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I also think I see some white stuff, as well as a ragged tail and possibly a bent spine on the fish at the top right of the first pic. It could be the angle I suppose, but if there is whitish stuff and/or a bent spine in any of these fish then that is indeed a cause for concern.
Looking at the reflection it has a white part in its body / back !

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom