Please Help Me Identify This Mystery Shrimp!

Cyclsnipas

20180905_174636.jpg
20180905_174651.jpg This little shrimp appeared in my planted 65 out of nowhere! I have a bunch of Amano's and 1 Bamboo and this one looks nothing like any of them! I have no idea where it could have come from either. It is around 1 1/4", a pearlescent, rusty, chocolate brown with a orange/gold stripe down its back. Its unlike any shrimp I've seen before.

Please help my mind is officially blown! Thanks!

Attachments

• 20180905_174636.jpg
    20180905_174636.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 20180905_174636.jpg
    20180905_174636.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 20180905_174651.jpg
    20180905_174651.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 101
Zentuckyfriedchicken
Maybe some sort of crayfish? Idk... Is your tank new? Any new plants?

richiep
It is a shrimp and almost looks like a wild brown but to be honest I've never come across anything like it

Cyclsnipas
Maybe some sort of crayfish? Idk... Is your tank new? Any new plants?

Thanks for the reply. Def not a crayfish. Plants tons but nothing new. I was thinking it may have been a Shrimplet that came in on a plant at some point and finally decided to make its appearance.

richiep
That would be the obvious thing to me he's hitched a ride on a plant looks like a female

Cyclsnipas
That would be the obvious thing to me he's hitched a ride on a plant looks like a female

I was def thinking female from the low slung abdomen. Its very bizarre looking compared to my other shrimp. Seems healthy and thriving though!

richiep
I don't think he'll do any harm 1/14" is quite big as well,you could always add a few cherries and see if it mates and what comes of them

goldface
Neocaridina davidi, but I’m not sure; the side view photo throws me off.

Cyclsnipas
I don't think he'll do any harm 1/14" is quite big as well,you could always add a few cherries and see if it mates and what comes of them

Irony is I had 6 Cherries in this tank around 2 years ago. They didn't last very long though. Don't know if it was poor genes or something else. If this one has lasted this long I may give Cherries another try. I wish I could get a positive I.D. on it though

richiep
That would put him up there with the longest living red I think that may also account for the weird side view if it's very old

smee82
Looks like a baby neo hitched a ride with some plants or the other shrimp

Cyclsnipas
That would put him up there with the longest living red I think that may also account for the weird side view if it's very old

I highly doubt its a Cherry. The tank was completely torn down and redone in January of this year. Well after those Cherries passed.

richiep
Good reason to buy some more cherries and experiment your tank looks nice and established

richiep
The other thing is it's known that cherries on a dark substrate will go very dark red to brown now your substrate is black

Cyclsnipas
The other thing is it's known that cherries on a dark substrate will go very dark red to brown now your substrate is black

Now that is interesting. I don't recall Cherries having a stripe though...maybe a wild variation???

Cyclsnipas
Nor a pearlescent sheen.

richiep
I'm edging toward wild, yet the evidence is colour change

Cyclsnipas
I'm edging toward wild, yet the evidence is colour change

I actually set up an 8.5 gallon which I was planning on using as a Shrimp tank. It currently houses 3 Nerite Snails and 1 juvenile Amano. Should I move this shrimp, (if I can actually catch it) into the 8.5? Or just leave it be?

richiep
Ide leave him be he'll be ok where he is and they've all been together a while, if you do move him just drip him into the next tank, you sound as if you know what to do anyway

Cyclsnipas
Ide leave him be he'll be ok where he is and they've all been together a while, if you do move him just drip him into the next tank, you sound as if you know what to do anyway

Thank you for the complement. I have my moments lol. Yeah I'm going to leave it alone. Its clearly doing well, its been out and about pretty much taunting me since its discovery this afternoon lol. I'm going to look around at some lfs's, see if I can find some good sized Cherries, maybe get a colony going. Thanks again!

Cyclsnipas
I'm also interested to see if new cherries will go dark like you said.

richiep
If your in the UK I can get cherries to you free my tanks are busting with shrimp

Cyclsnipas
If your in the UK I can get cherries to you free my tanks are busting with shrimp[/QUOTE

Nope! Long Island NY... . But thanks for the offer. Very generous of you. I'll wait a couple of weeks. Maybe someone from my local Aquarium Society can help me out.

richiep
Keep us posted on the little girl especially if she breeds

Cyclsnipas
Keep us posted on the little girl especially if she breeds

Will do! Thanks again!

Top Bottom