Please help me identify these fish

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by clam_bake, Dec 9, 2012.

1. c

clam_bake New Member Member

Hello all,

First off I'd like to say nice forum!

I acquired 9 of these fish from a friend around May/June..he told me they were parrotfish. Anyway I put them in my 60g hex and after coming home from being gone all of the summer (tank was still being cared for by another friend), i was amazed to see 20+ of these little guys swimming around! They are very active + entertaining to watch dart around the tank. It appears as though one of these fish is protecting a nest, as it stays put underneath a piece of driftwood and snips at any fish that comes too close (including my cories). I asked my buddy if maybe they were pink or white Convicts, but he insists they are parrotfish.

So I would like to hear your opinions please!

Thank you and happy trails!!

1354919610430.jpg 1354919686369.jpg 1355039671522.jpg 1355039554928.jpg 1355039757572.jpg 1355039808191.jpg

2. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Those look like pink convicts. They breed like rabbits!

This is what my Blood Parrots look like.

3. M0T0

M0T0 Valued Member Member

Those are deffinetly pink convicts, And they probably are spawning they breed very easy,

4. C

If they can open and close their mouths, they aren't Blood Parrots.

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I think they are pink convict crosses. If I'm not mistaken, parrots are a convict cross? Anyway, the head seems disproportionate to the body, which seems a bit too rounded.

6. C

7. Jaysee

I have one, and yes to me they do look different. The bodies are stubbier than in the picture, and mine. At least it looks that way to me.

Haha, my female pink convict is the ONLY fish I named. Though, I can't say her name on the forum. She got her name from her aggressive attitude....

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  8. Jaysee

Well? is it just me? :)

9. OP
    OP
    c

Thanks for the fast replies!

I had a feeling they might be Convicts after doing a bit of research. Unfortunately i wasn't able to prove 100% from comparing them to other pictures so i thought I'd ask for your opinions.

So how big do they typically grow?
    Also, do they become more aggressive as they mature? Right now i have them split up into 3 tanks, and they seem to co-exist peacefully with my gouramis, glass catfish, cories, rasboras, angels and iridescent shark.

Again thank you!

10. M0T0

I think so, It looks just like a pink convict, no cross/hybrid,

11. C

Convicts usually get about 6 inches. They do become much more aggressive. They have their name for a reason. Parent convicts protecting eggs have been known to kill Oscars. They also breed very easily. A single con isn't as bad as a pair. If they are protecting their babies, they'll take on anything.

12. Jaysee

I thought they got their name because of their stripes.... Like prison garb.

13. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

14. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with Ken. It's a Jellybean. The body is too short for a regular pink convict.

EDIT: Example picture -->  

15. Jaysee

Good, so it's not just me.

16. OP
    OP
    c

So do these Jellybeans become aggressive as they mature like regular pink convicts?
    What is the average lifespan and how large will a jellybean grow?
    Also, do mine appear to be dyed or un-dyed?

:;thx

17. C

They do not look dyed. I'd say 5-10 years is a pretty average life span. There is a good chance they'll be aggressive, They should also be fertile.

18. M0T0

I was just comparing him to my biggest male con they look very similar, maybe he was stunted as a youth too long in a small tank my friend has some regular cons that were stunted as youth and now they look like jellybeans too,

Here's a pic I just got with my phone not the best but had to take 20 just for a decent one like this, they are very active and hard to snap a pic of heh,
    IMAG0912.jpg

19. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Not quite true. They're breeding some now that can. I don't usually disagree with you but I've personally seen them (and they were definitely BPs)

@M0T0: I think I should mention for later reference that there are two types of parrot cichlid. There's the true parrot, which is not a hybrid, latin name Hoplarchus Psitticus, and then there is the hybrid Blood Parrot, the one you guys are talking about.

It does look like a stunted pink convict to me, but being a triple hybrid, it may not turn out looking like a BP, I suppose. I don't know.

20. C

King Kong Parrots can move their mouths. They are far less common and More expensive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice