Please help me I'd this little snail

Matt11711

Hi, I bought some plants and didn't sterilize them because I was lazy and figured I'd try my luck. Well, I'm cycling the tank and I have plants in there and after 2 weeks I found a tiny snail on what I think is my hornwort. Is there any way to identify them when they are this small?

Attachments

• PXL_20210119_234053195.jpg
    PXL_20210119_234053195.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 10

Crimson_687

Looks like a pond snail. Heads up, they don’t need another snail to reproduce, and they’ll do so quite quickly if there’s lots of food available to them. They’re nice to have around tho! They’ll eat leftover food and rotting plant, and their burrowing in the substrate can help with turnover (though they aren’t known for it, they’re not much of a substrate-dwelling snail). They’re great as whole prey for puffers, several types of loaches, assassin snails, or as a high-protein snack when crushed up for smaller fish and shrimp.

If you buy plants for your tank, chances are you end up with these at some point. You can choose to salt dip plants as a preventative to add new snails, but once they’re in, they won’t get out, unless you did copper treatment or the like. Of course this can hurt fish and beneficial bacteria and will kill other inverts

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

It's hard to tell from that picture, but it's probably a bladder snail. Some people don't like them, but they don't bother me.

Upvote 0

Matt11711

Looks like a pond snail. Heads up, they don’t need another snail to reproduce, and they’ll do so quite quickly if there’s lots of food available to them. They’re nice to have around tho! They’ll eat leftover food and rotting plant, and their burrowing in the substrate can help with turnover (though they aren’t known for it, they’re not much of a substrate-dwelling snail). They’re great as whole prey for puffers, several types of loaches, assassin snails, or as a high-protein snack when crushed up for smaller fish and shrimp.

If you buy plants for your tank, chances are you end up with these at some point. You can choose to salt dip plants as a preventative to add new snails, but once they’re in, they won’t get out, unless you did copper treatment or the like. Of course this can hurt fish and beneficial bacteria and will kill other inverts
Yeah I really don't mind having snails in the tank, in fact I was going to buy a couple nerites since they wont reproduce. I guess my only fears would be: will they take over the tank, like hundreds or thousands of them? And then will they eat my living plants, or just the dead parts? Thanks for the reply! Also maybe they won't survive anyway since the tank is still cycling and nitrites are very high at the moment.

Upvote 0

Theulli

It looks a little different from my pond snails but pretty close. They reproduce like crazy, they will take over your tank (but will not hurt your plants, my tank is heavily planted,,no problems there) if you don't mitigate. I watched with horror as one fell into my tank from a new plant, couldn't find it, and a couple of months later have had times where I pulled dozens out a day with tweezers, and that's with assassin snails present. You can mitigate somewhat by not overfeeding.

I have learned to appreciate then because they have a habit of hanging out at the waterline, which means I grab em and turn them into tetra snacks. That + assassin snails hasn't eradicated them but keeps their pop to an acceptable level.

Upvote 0

Crimson_687

Yeah I really don't mind having snails in the tank, in fact I was going to buy a couple nerites since they wont reproduce. I guess my only fears would be: will they take over the tank, like hundreds or thousands of them? And then will they eat my living plants, or just the dead parts? Thanks for the reply! Also maybe they won't survive anyway since the tank is still cycling and nitrites are very high at the moment.
Oh no they'll survive, these guys are quite indestructible. You could keep them alive in an unfiltered cup of water. They could even come back from a used substrate, even if it's been stored in a bag for months. If they do die, it'll be due to toxic metals or chemicals in your water. Unless you overfeed you probably wont have hundreds or thousands though, again they multiply based on food availability. If you're worried though, assassin snails will eat pond snails and not nerites. Assassin snails will also multiply based on food availability, though you may quickly find yourself wanting more pest snails for them or supplement feeding. Had this happen with me, thankfully I found a PetSmart that happily gave me their pond snails

As far as I know they do not eat live plants.

Upvote 0

Matt11711

Oh no they'll survive, these guys are quite indestructible. You could keep them alive in an unfiltered cup of water. They could even come back from a used substrate, even if it's been stored in a bag for months. If they do die, it'll be due to toxic metals or chemicals in your water. Unless you overfeed you probably wont have hundreds or thousands though, again they multiply based on food availability. If you're worried though, assassin snails will eat pond snails and not nerites. Assassin snails will also multiply based on food availability, though you may quickly find yourself wanting more pest snails for them or supplement feeding. Had this happen with me, thankfully I found a PetSmart that happily gave me their pond snails

As far as I know they do not eat live plants.
Thanks for the info!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

75 Gallon Tank Help ID this snail!
Replies
Views
Sb092
Replies
Views
Fisch
Replies
Views