Please help me find out what kind of blue crayfish i have

1. Lux Initiate Member

Hello all,

I am a new member here and let me start off by saying you have a fantastic site. I'm new to the hobby (besides from a goldfish here and a beta fish there) when i was younger.

I decided to start a tank with two small cory catfish, when purchasing them i fell in love with this "blue lobster" that they had in the store. With his little claws pinching at me everytime i looked at the tank, how could i not. So i went home and researched combinations of fish and crayfish and the care for the last 10 days or so and yesterday i picked him up.

The guy at the pet store said he was a blue yabby from australia and not a blue lobster. I said "yes, he is a blue crayfish" then he argued the fact saying yabby is different from crayfish...instead of debating i smiled and took my new pet home. :;hug2

Long story short, ive looked all over the internet and it seems yabby and crayfish are the same thing as i thought, however the "blue crayfish" or "Procambarus alleni" is from florida and the "cherax desctructor" or "blue yabby" is from Australia.

I'm hoping you guys can help me determine what species it is. Im curious to also know if it is a male or female. I picked it up and flipped it upside down today and couldnt determine which sex it was by the pictures i've found on the internet. It then snapped its tail at me and shot some water in my face! So i figured "pinchy" wanted me to put him down. :;laughing

Enclosed is a picture. He is very small maybe 2 inches or so in length.

My setup is -
    4 very small tiger barbs (they were in the same tank in the store with him) and two small cory cat fish in the tank.

10 gallon tank with marine land led hood, 20 gallon aqueon filter, 3" disc air stone, 3 plants and some rock for him to hide under.

So far he doesnt care about any of the other fish and pretty much just does him all the time. The two corys are like best friends and the 4 tigers also stick together, except sometimes they seem to ignore one of them...and just the 3 swim together for a few minutes.

My temperature is 69-72 degrees, ph 7.0 and all other levels are good, ammonia was a little higher today (.02-.05ppm) as expected with new inhabitants last night, but i put some treatment in the tank and did a partial water change.

Thanks for any help guys, id love to figure out which species this little critter is. I really do love this hobby.

Attached Files:

2. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

3. Lux Initiate Member

Yes ive heard however theres tons of room in the ten gallon due to his size (spends most of the time under rocks anyway) but yes i will move him to a larger tank when necessary.

He doesnt bother with the catfish (yet)..the bigger cory is the same size as him.

I have plans for a 50+ gallon in the future when "pinchy" gets bigger.

Thanks for the link but i want to know if hes a australian blue yabby or usa blue crayfish

4. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Your over stocked. Tiger barbs need a good minimum of 30gallons and 8+ in their group. Cory need 20gal tanks as a minimum, they also need 5-6 fish in their group. Now, you will sit there and simply wait for him to make lunch of your Cory right? He will grow and he will kill them, no arguing the fact. All that space in the 10gal isn't very much for these guys. If he can catch the tigers he'll eat them too. Im saying this simply for the fishes sake and to save you the trouble of making another thread titled "help cory disappeared"

5. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

its an electric blue lobster. the blue yabbies have bigger pinchers. trust me i also have an electric blue lobster.

6. Lux Initiate Member

all aboutfish- is that the only visual difference between the two?

7. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

electric blue lobster
    [​IMG]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    :animal0068:
    Non credited image removed by moderator

8. Lux Initiate Member

Soltarian- i only fear for the small cory. Ive been looking for a home for him however if pinchy shows ANY aggression he will be moved.

The barbs were reccommended per the lfs as they were coexisting together already.

There were only 2 corys available and they are best buds.

Everyone seems great. Plenty of room and thier colors are very vibrant (dull when.moved home)

I will.be getting a larger tank for fish soon and pinchy will probably stay alone in the ten gallon

Thanks allabout now ill see if a male or female. Can u get the australian yabby in the states

9. Lux Initiate Member

well guys, that was short lived. When the light goes off hes on the prowl trying to attack the fish. I've read some blue crayfish are timid, but this one is very aggressive. I dont even think he would do well in a 50+ gallon community tank. I'd always be running the risk of losing fish.

So far he took out a tiger barb and attacked other fish. I've tried shrimp pellets and frozen bloodworms but looks like he'd rather catch a meal fresh himself.

He has since been moved to temporary housing and has found himself all alone with the only other tankmates being rocks in a species only tank. I'm on the lookout for a larger 30 gallon or so tank for fish only and i'll leave the ten gallon tank strictly for the lobster. He may outrgrow as he gets older, but it will work for now running a larger filter and keeping an eye on water conditions with bi-weekly water changes.

Thanks again, this is a great forum.

10. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

well crays are aggressive...no matter what. if they can eat it, they will. even my dwarf orange crays try to get at the fish...and they have nipped them. i wouldn't keep bottom dwellers with a cray for sure. my blue cray has eaten fish....i even saw him grab one and just eat it.

also, those plants are in danger. crays will rip them up. you'll want fake plants. =] welcome to FL.

11. Lux Initiate Member

thats for sure...hes a fascinating creature but its not worth losing any more fish over, so he gets his own tank. I have gotten rid of the plants on the right, as they made a mess of the tank. The brazil sword was in a pot and when I came home yesterday from work the blue crayfish was upsidedown hanging off one of the leaves and chewed it all up. His new tank will get fake plants only ;)

Thanks for the welcome. I didnt want to buy another tank so soon but the girlfriend is very upset when "pinchy" comes out and makes a midnight snack of her "fish family" :)

12. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

*caugh* A shame this outcome wasn't predicted :;smack :p, Somethings we must learn ourselves. Sorry to hear about the tiger, figured hed be the last to go because of speed, but they do slow down at night(they being barbs) from my experience with them. Hopefully everything works out ok.

13. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

When i had mine he ate all my fish and plants. There pretty fun to keep as long as you don't have fish with them :)

14. Lux Initiate Member

:;pirate Indeed...he seemed great...till it came time for bed for me and the fish...thats when pinchy came out to party. Seems he enjoys the night life.

I have a question for you guys. I moved him to a very tall bucket with some rocks and enough water to keep him wet but not drown and enough rock for him to get out of the water if he wants. This is only temporary but he had to get moved. Ill change the water twice a day using water from the aquarium (1/2 gallon or so) but i dont like the idea of the lack of oxygen pump and filter system.

So my question is -

Can I temporarily (for a week until i get a new tank) keep him inside the aquarium in some sort of "lobster jail" ...

I was thinking about taking a larger clear one gallon water container (not hazy like a milk jug) and drilling a bunch of holes in it and keeping him inside this "lobster jail" for the next few days to week until i get a larger tank for the fish. It would have a screw on cap that i could easily drop some blood worms down and holes for fresh water to come through but to small for the fish to enter or him to get out.

Basically, would it be ok to keep him sealed in his own jug for a week? I could put some slate around the jug so he felt secure and he'd be completely contained from the fish and maybe some gravel to feel like home?

What do you guys think? I dont like the idea of keeping him in a bucket for a week. Seems much easier, smarter, and feasible to send him to lobster jail for a few days. The only problem I could see from this would be oxygen exchange while in the JUG, however theres plenty of oxygen in the water, so maybe not. He doesnt come to the top to get air like some fish, but he definitely needs oxygen hence why I dont like the week long bucket idea.

Even with the cap on the jug, there would be plenty of holes in it for the oxygen filled water to pass. Other then maybe being confused about why hes in confinement. I think that would work as a temporary solution.

Opinions?

15. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

i say get a new tank for him, get rid of him, or let him eat your fish. Its not his fault he is in that environment he should not be punished for that.

16. Lux Initiate Member

Hes getting a new tank, Its going to be a few days to a week until I can get one and have it ready.

Eating more fish is unacceptable. I have tried to get rid of him OR the fish with no success. The GF would rather keep the fish..so im between a rock and a hard place.

I dont think its wise to release any of them into the wild, and I dont have anyone to babysit him. I found one friend that would possibly take him, but there are much larger and nastier fish in that tank...with his attitude, i'm sure he'd be dead before I could have a permanent home. The LFS will also not take him back.

I also agree that he shouldnt be punished. He doesnt know any better, him eating the fish is no different then you or I eating a juicy cheeseburger. Unfortunately, my girlfriend (who is pregnant and hormonal) does not see it that way and she'd be happy with it gone by any means. Im catching he11 just keepin him around...hence the new fish tank im purchasing. :)

Dont be mistaken, Im not punishing him, im trying to give him a good life and protect his stay with me from being short lived and flushed down fishy heaven.

The container Im speaking of is a very decent size, much different shape then a milk jug, i believe its one gallon spring water container, but it could be more.

17. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I have kept crayfish with many different fish - the size of the tank is EXTREMELY important. A 10 is just not big enough - a majority of the tank is within the crayfish's grasp. Pun intended. A larger tank dramatically increases your success. A 29 is ideal. Also, you have to chose the right kind of fish. Bottom dwellers are out of the question. You will probably not see any aggression towards the corys - they will just disappear in the night, one by one. Barbs make excellent tank mates, and tiger barbs with crayfish is a setup that worked very well for me for years. But not in a 10.

Also, there's nothing wrong with a little predation. Like in the wild, they pick of weak or sick fish. In the case of keeping them with a school of tiger barbs, that's a good thing. Tiger barbs often eject a fish from the school, ultimately killing it. There's also nothing wrong with stocking the tank with fish the cray can catch, so long as you don't mind reupping periodically. It's hunting abilities are fascinating, and is certainly a component to keeping this pet that appeals to a lot of people.

It looks like it's a procambarus alleni, but could be a P. clarkii.

Keeping it in a bucket is the best solution. Just make sure there's nothing for it to grab ahold of to get out.

18. Lux Initiate Member

Interesting note about the tiger barbs...i did notice that they disowned one of them and they would not always stay together, outing one of them regularly. Quite interesting really.

Any reason you'd use the bucket instead of a container inside the tank. The container actually has more "leg room" for the crayfish to move around then the bucket, its oxygen supplied, and filtered which is where I got the idea.

19. Lux Initiate Member

I also agree that its not a horrible thing to eat a few inexpensive fish here and there. The girlfriend however, is becoming attached to the fish, and as she understands fish die and eat eachother in the wild, thats not why we got these fish and I agree. My mistake by introducing the lobster. Lesson learned. Now to make good of it and get him a stable home.

I see your in brigatine, I'm right outside fort dix. Small world.

20. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I wound up out there once by accident - got lost due to a detour :) The family and I were on our way from my grandparents in toms river back to voorhees. Rt 70 is really the only way, and there was a detour somewhere along the way. I think we were on our way home from christmas or something.

The bucket seems easier :;dk