Please help me finalize stock list

  • Thread starter

Vash

Well Known Member
Messages
840
Reaction score
4
Points
113
Experience
1 year
Tank - 40 gallon acrylic fresh water tropical (with about 30 gallon of water)
Filter - EHEIM Classic 2213 canister filter + Hydro sponge II filter on the intake
Heater - EHEIM Jager 100W.
Plants - medium planted at the moment. Hopefully grow into heavily planted.
Substrate - Eco-complete
Lighting - Currently 2x T8, but with 78W of T5HO on the way
Water - Tap water is soft, KH 40, GH 75, with PH of 8.2. Treated tap water has PH of 7.8~8.0.


Fishless cycling is at the point where 4.0ppm ammonia can be neutralized in 20 hours. Still working on increasing the bacterias, to maybe double lol.

Here is how my tank looks like at the moment.
76.jpg


Here is a list of fish I might want. Please check to see if there is any problem. The list is not final.
77.jpg


I noticed there are a few different Platy and their relatives...but I am not 100% sure. Please point out if any of them will cross breed, which I don't want that to happen. I will have to remove all but one type of Platy if I have to.

Also please point out if there are any specie I need to have a special ratio for female to male in order to not exhaust the female.

Please point out, if there is any problem at all or anything important I need to know. Such as some fish might to too aggressive, or too big for some smaller fish. Or even if any fish isn't tropical at all. Just say so if you see any problem.
 

platy ben

Well Known Member
Messages
2,659
Reaction score
17
Points
133
Experience
5 to 10 years
First off, the tank looks great and good job on fishless cycling!

Looking at your list, I would say. Take away all 3 gold gouramis and have 1 dwarf gouramI and add another 3 congo tetras and 2 more corys.
Or just have 1 gold gouramI and add 2 tetras and 2 corys.
3 gold gouramis will be unlikely to work.

Also, your platies will cross-breed without a doubt but with the stock you have, I don't think many will survive to adult hood anyway. Finally, platys like a male to female ratio of about 1:3
 
  • Thread starter

Vash

Well Known Member
Messages
840
Reaction score
4
Points
113
Experience
1 year
platy ben said:
First off, the tank looks great and good job on fishless cycling!

Looking at your list, I would say. Take away all 3 gold gouramis and have 1 dwarf gouramI and add another 3 congo tetras and 2 more corys.
Or just have 1 gold gouramI and add 2 tetras and 2 corys.
3 gold gouramis will be unlikely to work.

Also, your platies will cross-breed without a doubt but with the stock you have, I don't think many will survive to adult hood anyway. Finally, platys like a male to female ratio of about 1:3
Gold gouramis looks almost the same awesome shape as congo tetras, and it's on sale for much cheaper . Why can't 3 gold gouramis be put together? Do they fight each other?

Why many of the platys won't survive to the adult with the stock list I have? Please explain. That's why I am here to ask lol. I don't want any problem, especially when it is still early to correct them.

By the way, all the top 3 species will cross breed, right?
 

claudicles

Well Known Member
Messages
1,573
Reaction score
25
Points
123
Experience
5 to 10 years
Multiple gold gouramis will fight. Some gouramI species can co exist like multiple sparkling gourami. I have a blue and a pearl with no toubles but others have had troubles and it is a 400 litre tank which may explain it. Golds are much prettier than Congos, imho. I love congos though. Their adult size is smaller than a gold too. Being tetras a larger school size than three would be better. How about 6 congos and one gold gourami?
 
  • Thread starter

Vash

Well Known Member
Messages
840
Reaction score
4
Points
113
Experience
1 year
claudicles said:
Multiple gold gouramis will fight. Some gouramI species can co exist like multiple sparkling gourami. I have a blue and a pearl with no toubles but others have had troubles and it is a 400 litre tank which may explain it. Golds are much prettier than Congos, imho. I love congos though. Their adult size is smaller than a gold too. Being tetras a larger school size than three would be better. How about 6 congos and one gold gourami?
I agree that Gold Gouramis look slightly prettier than Congo Tetras. But Congo Tetras are not bad either. I've seen video of two Congo Tetras chasing each other, which would be a nice sight to have in any aquarium...which is the reason I added it to my fish list lol.

Now, does anyone know if all the top 3 fish on my list are Platy and will cross breed?
 

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Messages
1,633
Reaction score
32
Points
143
Experience
Just started
platy ben already answered your question about your platys and variatus. Yes they will crossbreed without a doubt. The reason the fry won't survive is because you have big fish who will eat them.

-Lisa
 

kloseo

Well Known Member
Messages
1,226
Reaction score
18
Points
123
Experience
2 years
I agree that golden gouramis can be somewhat aggressive and may give your platies some problems, if you do decide to go with gouramis do a ratio of 1 male to every 2 to 3 females... I have been able to keep multiple gouramis (6) together in a 55 gallon ( 1 male to 5 females)( 2 golden, 2 blue spot, 1 opaline, 1 platinum) but they were with a redtailed shark and an angel fish. if you get them,I would also get them small and let them grow up together in the tank
best of luck
 
  • Thread starter

Vash

Well Known Member
Messages
840
Reaction score
4
Points
113
Experience
1 year
Kunsthure said:
platy ben already answered your question about your platys and variatus. Yes they will crossbreed without a doubt. The reason the fry won't survive is because you have big fish who will eat them.

-Lisa
I wasn't sure if all top 3 were platys. Petsolution's explanation isn't all that clear. And I couldn't find any site about the Hifin Yellow Neon.
 
  • Thread starter

Vash

Well Known Member
Messages
840
Reaction score
4
Points
113
Experience
1 year
So I have removed gold gouramI from the list.

I don't want to have any possibility to lose fish to aggression.

I will keep only 1 type of Platy on the list. Hard decision which color I want since I am trying to keep a colorful aquarium.

Do Platys school?

Are there any other very good looking schooling fish which are smaller than 3"(prefer less than 2.5") while have 0 aggression?
 

Nick G

Well Known Member
Messages
3,577
Reaction score
41
Points
143
Experience
More than 10 years
HI Vash. No, Platies don't school, unless you count males chasing females as schooling! Perhaps Cherry Barbs would be a good alternative?
 

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,744
Reaction score
97
Points
293
Experience
More than 10 years
no platy's don't school. They sometimes hang out together, especially if its males chasing a female, but that's about it.

In my community tank when I wanted a peaceful and uncommon schooling fish I went with danio chopraI and they haven't let me down yet. They tend to hang in one area of the tank but they are always schooled up together. They are often rather timid and skittish but they seem to have loosened up a bit since I put some siamese algae eaters in there (the SAE's like to school up with them lol)

*ninja'ed
 

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Messages
2,067
Reaction score
86
Points
143
Experience
3 years
With Platies it isn't really cross breeding, because they are just different colors of the same species. Much like bettas and guppies come in a variety of color. If the red wag and the neon had fry you would get a mix of the two colors in your offspring but they would not be a hybrid. They would just be a platy. The variatus (or variable platy as it is some times called) is a very close relative of the southern platyfish (which is what the other two are). The two are so closesly related that they are often cross's bred to create new colors and many of the fish labeled as Platies are a hybrid of the two species. There is no harm in them cross breeding. If you like all three you should keep all three, them breeding with eachother won't make any genetically deficient fry, the fry off a variatus and red wag cross would be just as strong as neon x neon fry.

Btw, your tank looks awesome.
 
  • Thread starter

Vash

Well Known Member
Messages
840
Reaction score
4
Points
113
Experience
1 year
Nick Goody said:
HI Vash. No, Platies don't school, unless you count males chasing females as schooling! Perhaps Cherry Barbs would be a good alternative?
Cherry Barbs don't school from what I read. And they can be aggressive sometimes depend on the individuals. Someone here had Cherry Barbs bit Neon Tetras in half lol... I don't want to see that happen. Yes, I did consider Cherry Barbs before until I saw the above issues lol.



jetajockey said:
no platy's don't school. They sometimes hang out together, especially if its males chasing a female, but that's about it.

In my community tank when I wanted a peaceful and uncommon schooling fish I went with danio chopraI and they haven't let me down yet. They tend to hang in one area of the tank but they are always schooled up together. They are often rather timid and skittish but they seem to have loosened up a bit since I put some siamese algae eaters in there (the SAE's like to school up with them lol)

*ninja'ed
Trying to find Danio Choprai. It's not on petsolutions, nor in my local walmart which is the only "LFS".


Monmouth said:
With Platies it isn't really cross breeding, because they are just different colors of the same species. Much like bettas and guppies come in a variety of color. If the red wag and the neon had fry you would get a mix of the two colors in your offspring but they would not be a hybrid. They would just be a platy. The variatus (or variable platy as it is some times called) is a very close relative of the southern platyfish (which is what the other two are). The two are so closesly related that they are often cross's bred to create new colors and many of the fish labeled as Platies are a hybrid of the two species. There is no harm in them cross breeding. If you like all three you should keep all three, them breeding with eachother won't make any genetically deficient fry, the fry off a variatus and red wag cross would be just as strong as neon x neon fry.

Btw, your tank looks awesome.
I am not worried about the possible genetic hybrid. It's the new look of the mixed fry I worry about. Nobody knows how they might look like. Would be lucky if some fry will look just like their moms, some fry look like their dads. What if there are totally mixed up colors? Nobody can guarantee they will be pretty lol. Sure their moms won't complain about their looks, but I am not their mom. Won't have a problem if the new look is awesome, but you know it can be awful too, right? lol

Thanks for the compliment on my tank.
 

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Messages
2,067
Reaction score
86
Points
143
Experience
3 years
My favorite platy is one that was a cross between a Sunburst wag and a blue high fin. Of is a deep red-orange (deeper than the Sunburst), has the irradecent shine of the blue, with the high dorsal fin and Mickey mouse tail pattern. It is unlike any I have Everett seen for sale, so I guess I am a little byas on crossing colors.
 

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,744
Reaction score
97
Points
293
Experience
More than 10 years
Vash said:
Trying to find Danio Choprai. It's not on petsolutions, nor in my local walmart which is the only "LFS".
you probably won't. I got some from dennis here on the forum (danionins.com), I've not even seen them on aquabid or online anywhere until recently , liveaquaria has them at a ridiculous price. I don't know if dennis has any for sale right now but the ones he sent me have done really well and have been very healthy.
 
  • Thread starter

Vash

Well Known Member
Messages
840
Reaction score
4
Points
113
Experience
1 year
Are there any other non aggressive schooling fish that stay small and good looking?

Also, since I have quite some caves in my aquarium, I'd like to see fish use them. Do you see any fish on my list would occupy the caves? If not, anything that is small and peaceful you would like to recommend for that purpose?
 

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Messages
2,067
Reaction score
86
Points
143
Experience
3 years
I like serpae tetras for small schooling fish. they will add a nice splash off red/orange
 
  • Thread starter

Vash

Well Known Member
Messages
840
Reaction score
4
Points
113
Experience
1 year
Monmouth said:
I like serpae tetras for small schooling fish. they will add a nice splash off red/orange
Did they cause any trouble for other fish in your aquarium?

I just checked for them on petsolutions.
here is a quote -
"preferably with peaceful with fish of its own size or larger. Serpae Tetras may nip the fins of longer-finned and slower-moving species. "
 

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Messages
2,067
Reaction score
86
Points
143
Experience
3 years
they may give your gouramI a little trouble. They were fine for me, but I didn't keep them with long finned fish. I had just them and a little catfish when I kept them.
 
  • Thread starter

Vash

Well Known Member
Messages
840
Reaction score
4
Points
113
Experience
1 year
Monmouth said:
they may give your gouramI a little trouble. They were fine for me, but I didn't keep them with long finned fish. I had just them and a little catfish when I kept them.
I am not going to get GouramI any more.

But I will still have Congo Tetra. What do you think?
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom