Please Help Me Decide....

cm11599ps

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I currently have a 55 FW with the following fish...

Parrot, Oscar, Jack Dempsy, Green Terror, Silver Dollar

I am doing research on SW tanks right now and eventually want to convert my 55 to a reef. In the meantime I picked up a used 46 bowfront that's sitting in my garage. I planned to put some of my current stock in the 46 and sell the other guys.

At this point I don't know if I even want to keep my current stock at all. I like them but I also like the look of smaller fish in a bigger tank because it's more active. I'm also not a big fan of the territorial issues with my current guys and am thinking a more peaceful tank is in order.

If I get rid of my current stock and convert my 55 to SW then my 46 bowfront purchase was pointless, only for the fact that I bought it to house my current stock. It kind of doesn't make sense to sell off my current stock and buy a new, smaller stock for the 46. I can do that if need be though.

My wife is very supportive and said she's fine with whatever decision I make.

Any ideas? No matter what we decide, it won't happen for a few weeks because we have some other issues to deal with at home first.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You were way over stocked in your 55 so moving everyone to the 46 really isn't a good idea. Basically almost all the fish you have listed get around atleast 8" full grown so I really don't think any should go in the 46gal. Plus all of those fish prefer to be in groups of more of their kind.

Basically if you put any of them in the 46 gal it will be over stocked but if you're really set on keeping atleast some of your fish you could probably get away with the silver dollar and then go buy a couple more of them. If the parrot is still small you could put it in the 46 and get it a couple friends but you'd have to be planning to get a larger tank.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
IMO-every fish you have listed needs at least a 55g tank. The oscar and green terror would probably be best in a 75g tank.

Oscars, JD's, and parrots are all high waste producers, so moving them into a smaller tank probably wouldn't be the best thing for them.

I hope this helps.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good responses above. You have some big fish there & not only will they quickly pollute a 46gal tank they won't feel at all comfortable. Your way way overstocked & that's why your seeing lots of aggression. Those aggression issues will only get worse if you put them in a smaller tank. Even if you spit your stock between the two tanks it still wouldn't be enough for all those fish.

cm11599ps

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh, I wouldn't be putting all the current stock in the 46. The Green Terror is leaving shortly. Still undecided on the other guys though as to who would be staying, who would be going.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In 46gal I wouldn't have anything except maybe the Silver Dollars. The JD might be ok if you have it as the only fish in the tank. The Oscar & Terror both need a minimum 75gal each IMO & the Parrot should be in a bigger tank than 55gal as I believe they like to be kept in groups.

cm11599ps

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, I was thinking about just the silver dollar but I was also interested in maybe having plants so that kind of kills that idea.

Is it really OK just to have one single fish in a tank?

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is okay to just have one fish but most fish are happier having more of their kind with them.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is okay to just have one fish but most fish are happier having more of their kind with them.
That's a very broad statement at best. With american cichlids you can't just pick the same species & figure they will get along. If you already have a male of the species you won't be able to have a second male of the same species. In most instances they would fight to the death. In many cases even a female with a male won't do. They can be very selective about thier mates. In the case of Oscars they actually spend most of thier life in the wild entirely on thier own in a large territory & defend if against all others, even potential mates. Green Terrors & JD's can be extremely selective about thier mates also. If you get a female & she rejects the male there is a good chance he will kill her as she can't escape in the confines of a tank.

It's best to raise a fish together if you want tankmates or the possibility of breeding. Introducing adult fish to each other rarely succeeds.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was mainly stating that as for the silver dollars sorry haha I know many cichlids don't like eachother. Sorry I wasn't specific I wasn't paying attention haha.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom