Please help me! Complete Novice! ICH

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by elismom122003, Jul 22, 2012.

1. elismom122003New MemberMember

So... I got my first tank about 2 weeks ago. It is 10 gallons and I went to petsmart.... Do not EVER go to petsmart for advice on starting a new tank (DUH)! I have since went to a local fish store. Well I went today anyways after my fish wound up having ich! The poor thing. She (so I say) is a black molly and last night I noticed white spots on her. I took a sample of my water to the local store and the nitrite levels are off the charts. This is my 100% fault because I was overfeeding them. I didn't realize this because I listened to some things that I had read online (everyone seems to say something different!) I did change the water. I probably changed about 7 of the 10 gallons and I used this product called Prime that the man at the store gave me. It only took 1 hour to be ready to add that water to the tank. Well I forgot like an idiot that I was supposed to add 1 Tbsp. of salt to this. Is it too late for me to just take out some water from the tank and dissolve the salt in this and then add it back to my tank? Also is this a good amount for a 10 gallon tank? So far my platy and my glowfish look fine, but I feel bad that my Molly is in pain. I am going to get a heater in the morning, because petsmart never told me that I needed to have one. I will increase the temp gradually to about 78. Does this sound like a good temp? I am just getting different numbers for everything everywhere I go and I don't want to kill my fish or cause them any pain. ALSO! I have noticed that my play especially has long white poop that is sometimes longer than her body. Is this the same parasite or normal or maybe some other parasite that I need to treat for? AH! So much to do for such tiny little creatures! Please help me!

2. elismom122003New MemberMember

Please?

3. Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

4. saqibWell Known MemberMember

Hi there and welcome to fishlore, don't worry we have all been a victim of bad advice many times.

To start things off you need to understand the nitrogen cycle and start doing daily 50% water changes everyday till the cycle is complete, since you've already got fish in there.
    Secondly, you definitely need the heater, slowly ramp up the temperature to 30C since you're battling ICH here, daily water changes and increased heat will cure ICH in a few days.
    Make sure that whenever replacing the water you always use prime to decholorinate and have the same temperature as that of the tank.
    You don't need to add any salt IMO, it wont do much to assist you.

EDIT: sorry one thing I missed out, looks like you're fish have bacterial infection from the white stringy poop, you can get garlic guard and start feeding them to you're fish or you can prepare garlic yourself and start soaking your pellets/flakes in it before feeding. That will cure any bacteria in the digestive track of your fish.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  5. Mr.CodyValued MemberMember

Tigress ninjad me

Prime is realy good to use I just got my first big bottle of it and I realy like this stuff a lot

But as she said I would treat the ich the natural way just by raising heat slowly and doing daily water changes and it should go away with barly causing stress to your fishies

6. Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

Hehe

7. xARIZ0NAxValued MemberMember

There's medications at petsmart that well help with both situations. But what saqib said works just as well I've done both. In the future if you ever decide to up grade to a bigger tank keep you 10 gallon as a quarantine tank. I don't know about your petsmart but mine has 1 big filter that runs for every tank. If they get a fish and it has problems. Eventual all the other fish well to. I went in one day and they had the fish section closed down because more then all the fish had ich. So from then on I quarantine all my fish and all so use a UV lamp from time to time.hope things work out and believe me we all went through the same thing.

8. Mr.CodyValued MemberMember

I personally don't use meds on anything not even myself I believe in all natural healing
    But there is nothing wrong with the meds I just think natural is better

But if you do use meds to treat I suggest doing as much research as you can before useing it

9. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

Others hve got you covered on the questions you asked, I just wanted to let you know that you have some stocking issues.

Ten gallons really is not enough for a molly. They should be in a 20 gallon minimum. Aside from being active and needing more room that a 10 gallon afford, they are pretty large waste producers, which can make it difficukt to keep the tank cycled.

Danios are also very active and require 20 gallons minimum. They also are a schooling fish and should be kept in groups of at least 5.

Good luck!

10. divaninaWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore!

I just wanted to add that the nitrites being high is NOT your fault. It's a new tank, still cycling, so the nitrites are doing what they're supposed to do right now. You'll need to do daily water changes with Prime to keep the levels in check until the tank is cycled. If you're not familiar with the nitrogen cycle, definitely read up on it. (The words should be a clickable link.)

You are correct that you don't want to overfeed, but I didn't want you feeling like you were responsible for something that is inevitable in a cycling tank. :)

11. elismom122003New MemberMember

Well, I do feel responsible a bit, because I didn't research enough. I will do daily water changes and get a heater. My Molly looks SO much better this morning just from the water change. I'm so glad too! I never thought that I liked fish that much, but they're growing on me. And jdhef, I did not know that about Molly's and Danios (which I'm guessing is the real name for glowfish). Another thing petsmart doesn't tell you. They helped me get going and never said anything. I was already planning on getting a much larger tank, but didn't want to start out with something so large that I knew so little about. My son has been wanting fish for years and we finally bought our own house and I had promised him that we could get them In June... so we did! However the whole thing was not thought through very well.So after I get this tank healthy I will get at least a 30 gallon and get my danio some friends! I would LOVE some advice on making my tank into more of a natural setting for my fish. Right now we have Spongebob decorations and it just seems so fake. I would love to have more plants and natural places for them to hide! Also for the rocks, they are so large and bright, at the LFS they have more of a sand in the bottom, is this something that I should do? Thank you everyone for your help!

12. xARIZ0NAxValued MemberMember

agree molly's are pretty active fish. they're not a schooling fish they would'nt mind each others company though.

13. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

For more natural look in large tank consider adding a bit of driftwood and plants. Among beginner plants that are very easy to maintain java fern and java moss are very good ones, but there are others as well. If you decide to go with the planted tank idea, you will need to get a light that is strong enough for plants - not all aquarium light are, but you may want to avoid getting a light that is too bright because then you may need to add CO2 and may have algea issues, so lightw that is bright enough but not too bright. I have a planted tank. Mine is a 29 gallon tank with a double fluorescent light fixture, and both of the light bulbs are of type T8 with 18watts each, which is enough light for all so called "low light" plants. Aquatic plants can be either low, medium, or high light. If you get a strong enough light for the high light plants, you could have more choices in variety of plants, but probably would need to do CO2, for example, which is more than I would be willing to do for my plants, but it depends on what you want.

Sand is very nice. I have black sand in my tank. Now it was not easy to set up and clean on the first day, and I had to learn how to clean the tank to not suck up sand. But now that I know the drill, it's relatively easy. If you get sand, get MTS snails: they burrow in the sand, and you won't need to worry about stirring up the sand yourself as part of maintenance. Also some fish, such as for example Cory catfish prefer sand. However, most fish and many aquatic plants do not care whether there is sand or gravel at the bottom of the tank. Best!

14. gmoney69New MemberMember

I suggest not buying fish from that same store because i bought fish from a lps and got ich in both my tanks! i got it cleared and when i bought more fish from the same place i got it again! It happened everytime i got them from the same store! Having a 125 & 55 it was very costly to get rid of! Now i try to buy from locally owned fish shops because they deal with the fish on a daily basis.The stores that have the same water for all there tanks can get all the fish infected from one sick fish! Just saying from my experience!!

15. elismom122003New MemberMember

Well, I did buy from PetSmart, so I won't be going there anymore. We have a place here that is supposed to have the largest coral reef on land.It is pretty awesome and he has some amazing fish. I can tell that he knows what he is doing. My son has autism and was totally freaked out by the big fish but the lady that worked their bribed him with a Gary (from spongebob) decoration to get him to walk around. He knows a lot about fish from books, so I'm so glad that she got him to walk around.He got to see his favorite, the Lion Fish, and was telling her all about it! That is why I want to learn how to really care for fish so that I can get him into it too, not just from reading books!

16. Mr.CodyValued MemberMember

That is awesome she got him to walk around even tho he was scared of the big fish

I am in the same type of situation but I do know the basics of caring for the fish but I am always trying to learn more everyday I read and read and read some more but I have a baby girl that just turned 9 months today I started a tank just for her the day she got brought home from the hospital and she loves the fishies she just sits in my arms and laughs and points at the fish the whole time I hold her up by the tank I'm going to teach her as she is growing in the hopes it keeps her busy as she gets older and is less prone to causing trouble

I wish you the best of luck

17. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ich can be gotten rid of for free. Just slowly raise the tank temperature to 86 degrees and keep it there for two weeks. During that two wek period gravel vac your tank ever 2 or 3 days to remove the ich spores that drop into the gravel. After 14 days slowly lower the tank temp back to normal.

18. tunastrackWell Known MemberMember

Just wanted to stress SLOWLY rising the temp for your tank. Your situation is almost identical to mine, however it did not end very well :(...I turned the heater on full blast (thinking it would adjust itself) And 6 hrs later all of my fish were dead. So make sure you start the temp rising when you have a few hours to devote to checking on the rising temp. And also, make sure you have a seperate thermometer (i LOVE my glass one) than just the one on the heater so you have an accurate reading...Good luck!!!

19. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

If you follow the ich article link in my signature it will explain why medications fail as well as how to easily rid your tank of the disease.

Then use a QT for all new fish and your main tank will remain disease free.

20. Stone73Valued MemberMember

I completely agree read the article https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-fish-disease/105665-curing-ich-naturally.html it explained a lot to me. I have never personally had a problem with ICH but IMO it's best not to add chemicals to the water if you don't have to.

As far as making your tank look more natural; I started out with a very unnatural looking aquarium, and wanted to make it seem more real. I replaced my blue substrate with CaribSea Eco-Complete, a brown substrate that is good for plants. I also added some driftwood, some Corckscrew vallisneria, and a Marimo "Moss Ball". I am still a beginner at plants but they definitely go a long way to creating a natural environment, and the fish really love them.

Check out my before and after photos below:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice