Please Help Me Before Its Too Late!!

dobsshan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a Gourami and he had popeye from stress going into a new tank. I bought aquarium salt and it seemed to be working, but now my other fish are attacking his eye and it looks like its going to fall out! he really doesn't look good

I have two platys, 2 sword fin?? (female) an alge eater who minds his own business, and two plecos maybe? they are new to my tank and I am a newbie haha. They are striped with red tipped fins and they help keep my tank clean

It seems to me like the sword fin ones are going after him and I don't know what to do, if I take him out I would have to set up my old 10 G again and he may be dead by then.

I bought medicine from my local tropical fish store, I think it is called Melafix? I am on my 2nd day of treatment out of 7 days. It honestly seems like a lost cause to me, he has to be blind, can he still live? Is there anything I can do to stop my other fish?

One last question, my water is cloudy. I got it tested, everything is at good levels. I got the liquid you can add to help clear it -no success, I also tried these white almost filter material things you put in with your filter for a few hours but it didn't seem to work. I also did a water change. ???

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You could get a breeder net to kind of block off part of the tank for him and make sure there is no charcoal in your filter, I've heard it absorbs the meds. Sorry to hear about him, other than that there are a lot of good knowledgeable people on hear that probably have more answers.

LauraMillar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
hi there sorry to hear abut your fish. Justin is right you need to remove your activated carbon from your filter (this looks like black charcol usually in some sort of sack) as this will absorb all of your melefix. a breeder box is a good idea as this will not allow the other fish to hurt him without the stress of moving him to another tank, this also allows you to treat your entire tank. If it is a white cloud in your tank, this is usually a bacteria bloom, is your tank fully cycled? Is he eating?

dobsshan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hi,

Thank you for your quick answers. He is currently not eating, is a bacterial bloom something I should treat? I ended up HAVING to move him tonight back to the 10 gallon, I hope it doesn't stress him out too much but the stores are closed and my fish were beating him up so bad he started to bleed. So I figured he would at least have a better chance if I moved him ..

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
First off, Welcome to Fishlore

I am sorry to hear that your poor gourami is unwell I think it is important that you know about the nitrogen cycle (the word should automatically underline, you click on that and it will take you to an information page), so please take a read of it

Now, a few more questions that will hopefully help us help you
How long has the tank been set up?
How long have you had your gourami?
How long have you noticed the popeye?
Did you cycle your tank / How did you cycle your tank?
What are the exact levels regarding Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate?*

*I see you said you got your water tested, did they use a liquid kit or test strips? The strips tend to be inaccurate, so many members (including myself) recommend the API master testkit. It may seem a little costly, but it good value for money considering how many tests you can do

dobsshan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I will take everything into consideration that you listed, thank you!

Unfortunately he has passed away this afternoon

I am thinking of buying a new one, but I am worried about aggression from either the new one to the old fish, or the old fish to the new one. Are me fish compatible, I was told they were but I'll double check on here.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Please don't buy any more fish until current issues are resolved. Rhan asked some important questions.

Welcome to fishlore, by the way.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm sorry about your gourami and welcome to Fish Lore!

I wholeheartedly agree with Rhan that knowing about the nitrogen cycle is crucial. Before adding any new fish, you must make sure your tank is fully cycled. Cloudy white water is often a sign of a new tank that hasn't fully cycled. Products to clear up water are not very useful, as you witnessed.

If you could fill in the rest of the information about your tank in your profile, it will be very helpful to us in the future so we can better answer your questions.

-Lisa

dobsshan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Don't worry, I didn't say I was rushing out and buying one lol, I just said I was thinking of buying a new one but I don't want an aggression problem again.

The water is starting to clear up, I bought a different brand of filter and it seems to be working so far. I tested the water today and everything seems to be fine, a had a bit of ammonia so I did a water change. Hopefully it will work out. The page on the cycle is very helpful!

Thank you everyone!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom