Please help me and diagnose my angelfish Important 

Aidan Meier

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So basically, my koi angelfish has been quite lethargic lately. He sits at the back of the tank sort of in the middle of the water but more towards the top. He has never acted like this. I give him 79°F water, a powerful filter, and a variety of live plants. I don’t really see any physical abnormalities in him, but I am no expert. I’ve researched fish TB, NTD, and hexamita. None of these seem likely but I really need help because I love my fish.

jkkgron2

Valued Member
Reaction score
How old is he? He could just be getting old and Reaching a point in his life where he will be less active...

Aidan Meier

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
jkkgron2 said:
How old is he? He could just be getting old and Reaching a point in his life where he will be less active...
Not even a year... Got him February 2nd, 2019.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aidan Meier said:
Nothing really new either. Just a few guppies but they seem healthy.
How long ago were they added? Did you quarantine prior?
Aidan Meier said:
Temp: 79°F
pH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 3ppm
Nitrate: 30ppm
Alkalinity: 6KH
Hardness: 8
The nitrites are a little worrying. Nitrites are toxic to fish, and at 3ppm can be rather bad on a fishes system - and explain why the angel is acting off.

Aidan Meier

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ChristianYK said:
Did you fully cycle the tank before adding fish? Are you adding anything to protect against the 3 ppm? Water changes?
Yes, I fully cycled it. I’m trying to get rid of the 3 ppm with some API products.

Aidan Meier

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
aussieJJDude said:
How long ago were they added? Did you quarantine prior?The nitrites are a little worrying. Nitrites are toxic to fish, and at 3ppm can be rather bad on a fishes system - and explain why the angel is acting off.
No quarantine tank.. will a water changed and some chemicals help? And the fish looks fine on the surface?

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aidan Meier said:
No quarantine tank.. will a water changed and some chemicals help? And the fish looks fine on the surface?
A water change would help, chemicals... depends on the type. So yes and no.

How long ago were the guppies added?

Aidan Meier

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
aussieJJDude said:
How long ago were they added? Did you quarantine prior?The nitrites are a little worrying. Nitrites are toxic to fish, and at 3ppm can be rather bad on a fishes system - and explain why the angel is acting off.
I tested my water and everything was the same but the nitrites, believe it or not they were gone. But the fish didn’t stop. This morning he was worse. He was swimming upside down and I can’t rule out swim bladder disease. He couldn’t control it. It seemed like a sudden outburst of swimming upside down, and ten minutes later the fish was fine. I’m watching closely to see if it happens again. Any explanation?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom